Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: nordic Shamanism seidh
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:53 am 

Hi all I'm new to the site I was looking for anyone that has any information on the practice of seidh I am new to Shamanism and am seeking to expand my knowledge of anything shamanic

Post subject: Re: nordic Shamanism seidh
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:41 pm 

http://www.antikvarisk.dk/index.php?c=290&p=1246 read this. its about our shamanism here in Denmark. guess that is where you might come from.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:39 am 

thanks my username, but i don't speak Danish. i am an Norwegian American and in three generations my family has lost the norsk

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:49 pm 

I figured you might come from Denmark because its our tradition here. however the book might be translated and can be found somewhere.

also there seems to be a connection to norway with our traditions and I found a website that deals with these things in norway where the tradition seems to be a established religion .

this is very interesting to me actually. we lost everything here and seems that these things still are alive but hard to find texts and information about.

I can help no further than suggest to look up a translated copy of the book and I am almost sure there is one in english.

if you do find something I would like if you post links to whatever you find,. might be helpful to others too but I am interested in finding out more about these things myself.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:42 pm 

you could try email these guys here. http://www.multiart.nu/ratatosk/ they might know how to guide you further into this.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:13 am 

here in the states Diana Paxson is doing some reconstruction of the old shamanic traditions. her group sedhjaller practices oracular sedh. she has also written a book of shamanic trance aptly named "trance-portation". she is a great author and her stuff is easier to understand then some of the other stuff out there.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:15 pm 

hey nordicseeker, their are many of us searching for what it means to be a seidh practitioner in the modern day. i personally practice a type of rattle dancing, making the logical leap (in my mind atlest) that berserkergang wasnt just a person or group of people rushing to their deaths in battle (however it very well could be that too) but as a method of stepping between the planes and by doing so invoking Oden and witnessing shimmer. within many tribal societies ritual war and hunting dances were very common, i make this same assumption and use rattle dancing as a technique to both trance and travel between the planes.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:14 am 

that sounds like it would be a a very good way to trance out but i believe there is a difference between seidh and berzerking. they are both trances but seidh is a more mellow trance that you do for working out answers and communing with spirit were as berzerking is a channeled trance rage to feel no pain and to overcome all enemies in a fight setting at all cost.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:58 pm 

nordicseeker wrote:
that sounds like it would be a a very good way to trance out but i believe there is a difference between seidh and berzerking. they are both trances but seidh is a more mellow trance that you do for working out answers and communing with spirit were as berzerking is a channeled trance rage to feel no pain and to overcome all enemies in a fight setting at all cost.

ceremonial dance used to shapeshift into wolves and or bears, berserkers being described as Odens men as well as the brotherhood of berserkers. Oden himself being seen dancing with berserkers, and his son putting on the wolf skin (i believe). i propose that berserkergang has been made famous because of their battle prowess but it is a form of ecstatic dance to induce trance to both shapeshift and travel the planes, as a warrior knows no fear that exists between life and death.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:04 pm 

were as i dont know much about berzerker dance, Odin is the god of berzerkers, but i dont remember a myth that has odins sons putting on the wolf skin. it did require a frenzy so dance is a possible path to the trance.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:59 pm 

Hi Nordicseeker,
Diana L. Paxson has a new book out called
The Way of the Oracle that contains further information after Trance-Portation. Have you visited this website:
http://www.seidh.org/
There are actually quite a few books on this subject available through Amazon.com also.
I am also very interested in this manner of divination & communication. I have been studying what I can on my own for a while now.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:38 pm 

There are many resources available through my teacher, Jordsvin. This is his site: http://home.earthlink.net/~jordsvin/

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:31 pm 

NordicSeeker there is a shamanic teacher in the United States offering classes in Seidr. Her name is Betsy Bergstrom. She teaches this once or twice per year in the continental U.S. I just took the class and it was very wonderful. Now we are starting a Seidr practice group in my local area. Bless!

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism