Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Soul Retrieval

Post subject: Is a soul retrieval right for me?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:33 pm 

Hello all--

I'm new here, so I hope you'll be patient with me.

I've been reading up on soul retrievals and talking with my roommate (who studied with Michael Harner) about this, and I think it could be something that would help me. I constantly struggle with depression, and right now I'm mourning an ex-boyfriend who decided to suicide.

(I did read the suicide thread below and found it very helpful.)

I've also been through a lot of other traumas in the past year. Right now I'm also suffering a major creative block. In fact, I'm feeling blocked in a lot of areas of my life.

Do you think a soul retrieval is something that would be helpful to me? I don't think there is anyone who does them near me geographically, and I doubt I have the money for one right now, but I'm still interested in pursuing this. I don't even have the money for a lot of the good-looking books out there, but I'm keeping a list of the suggested ones for when I do.

Thanks for your help!

Post subject: Re: Is a soul retrieval right for me?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:58 pm 

Anytime you feel a lack of personal power, but particularly ongoing, or chronically, soul retrieval is a good healing approach. The fact that you can articulate feeling such a need is also a good indicator that it would help you. Definitely find someone near who does them. I don't recommend doing them remotely, at least not the first one (some do several over time). That you are opening yourself to new avenues and to soul healing, in general, the Universe will direct it to you. All good things for yourself!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:14 pm 

Skelleyh wrote:
Anytime you feel a lack of personal power, but particularly ongoing, or chronically, soul retrieval is a good healing approach. The fact that you can articulate feeling such a need is also a good indicator that it would help you. Definitely find someone near who does them. I don't recommend doing them remotely, at least not the first one (some do several over time). That you are opening yourself to new avenues and to soul healing, in general, the Universe will direct it to you. All good things for yourself!

Thank you. :) I had no idea they were ever done remotely, but I'll definitely do my first one in person. And I definitely believe that the Universe finds a way once we open ourselves to it. Thank you for the advice and well-wishes!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:49 am 

I know this is very late to respond, but in case someone is looking into one in a similar circumstance, soul retrievals will make you much more emotional. These soul shards left you because they did not want to carry on with your life already. I probably shouldn't have had one at the time, but my depression got way worse after having one. I did however feel more whole as a result. I'm just warning, make sure you are in a safe place and can take some severe swings when you get one. You need low stress reintegration time regardless.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:31 pm 

mochai wrote:
I know this is very late to respond, but in case someone is looking into one in a similar circumstance, soul retrievals will make you much more emotional. These soul shards left you because they did not want to carry on with your life already. I probably shouldn't have had one at the time, but my depression got way worse after having one. I did however feel more whole as a result. I'm just warning, make sure you are in a safe place and can take some severe swings when you get one. You need low stress reintegration time regardless.

I agree, I always ask clients to bring a friend or family member along if they can so that, if they do become very emotional or upset, they are not travelling home alone and in the next few weeks, they have someone close who knows what has happened and can be there for them.

Distance work like this is possible but not often recommended simply because it can be so life altering and not just in an immediately feel good way either.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:53 pm 

Integration is key to successful soul retrieval. It's not hard to return a soul part. What can be challenging is the integration work. In the absence of the soul part, often coping skills develop that aren't healthy or are just no longer upon the retrieval, but letting go of them requires active cognitive involvement. That's why I always tell people to thoroughly interview a shaman before committing to a retrieval, to understand what his/her skills are along those lines, and to understand how that individual approaches the process of retrieval and integration.

I don't want to turn anyone off doing a retrieval. They are not always catabolic. In many cases healing of the soul part and of the earthly consciousness can be done prior to the retrieval, making integration smoother. However a retrieval is done, it's life altering.

Be love.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:52 pm 

Ditto to what several folks shared.

As you have read and studied, soul retrievals were traditionally done within a few days of the particular trauma. Now, practitioners are going back several years (and in some cases, lifetimes) to retrieve these fragments. It is important to remember that what is being returned is vitality, that essence that enables you to live and breath in your current physical form.

For many, soul loss results in a numbing of the emotions. Soul retrieval in many cases brings one out of that numbness. It is a good thing. But it is also important that if you are not used to feeling emotions, some help integrating is preferred. The analogy I use with folks is this:

If I break my leg, there are stages to the healing. there is the cure, and there is the "rehab". The cure is setting the bone - restoring it to its proper alignment - same as soul retrieval. After that comes rehab - learning to function with a restored leg - taking care of yourself while the bone knits itself back together. And then exercising the muscles again to strengthen the leg so that it is restored and functioning as it did before the break.

Soul retrieval is like that. The actual retrieval is the cure. Many folks are in counseling for various issues and don't find relief. Perhaps it is because the very parts they needed to integrate the counseling wer not there. But after the soul retrieval, the counseling works. They can integrate the life experiences and move on.

I totally agree that it is important to search out a practitioner that is willing to do some of the followup with you. Many times, folks are ok with just a soul retrieval, but there are also many times when there is subsequent shamanic work to be done that can enhance the soul retrieval process. Shop around.

Blessings..

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:17 pm 

For that last couple of weeks, I managed to go although only some of content articles you share here, but I uncover them as relatively fascinating and informative assets. Just want say thank you for the material you've got shared. Regards!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:53 am 

I will be tweeting on soul retrieval today. Please join in the discussion! @SKelleyH

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:44 am 

Learning a few key words or phrases in your destination's native tongue can help you out of a sticky situation - and again can show your hosts that you have invested time and effort into learning about their culture.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:50 am 

I'm still amazed that people are believing in this soul retrieval. It's like healing a broken leg? You go back and pick up fragments?

I've been in Shamanism over 40 years and this is one of those things that are food for jokes at gatherings. We're waiting for people to start digging through their composting toilets for "fragments" they lost.

Perhaps the confusion is beyond your language as English is quite insufficient to articulate these topics so I'll keep it simple.
We like to believe that the souls is eternal. Ok, I'll go with that but in it's eternal existence is it mutable or subject to change? After all, it is being transferred from body to body per incarnation and learning these alleged life lessons. Is it the only thing in creation that stays completely whole, to never shed, molt or go through any process that anything in existence experiences? Probably not, hence it will lose "fragments" in it's existence no differently than anything from a microbe to a star.

This soul retrieval thing sounds like another fear based, hebegebe level 101 fairy tale that gives beginners that want to be healers and teacher a platform to make money.
I also think it's another fear based blockage that stemmed from a misinterpretation of the growth process.

You kids (young in Shamanism) may want to undertake the studies of quantum physics, remembering that when Shamanism first started the Shamans made comparisons of their lives to instances seen in nature, of which we know so much more of today. In that light, consider the soul as a seed atom in a compound (life) where there are exchanges of electrons. Some elements can't help but take electrons from another or give their own away. How could we claim we are all connected if we are not acknowledging the process of that connection?

The soul goes through a growth process like everything else. Anything it "loses" it doesn't need. No one or any entity can steal any part of it from you. Any thoughts as such are fear based notions from the ego and the ego likes to believe it is the most important electron in the hydrogen atom.
Anyone get that? :lol:

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:16 pm 

Shaman Hawk wrote:
I'm still amazed that people are believing in this soul retrieval. It's like healing a broken leg? You go back and pick up fragments?

I've been in Shamanism over 40 years and this is one of those things that are food for jokes at gatherings. We're waiting for people to start digging through their composting toilets for "fragments" they lost.

Perhaps the confusion is beyond your language as English is quite insufficient to articulate these topics so I'll keep it simple.

I also have been in Shamanism for over 40 years, and you are the first I heard trying to make a joke of such a powerful life-changing method as Soul Retrieval.

Your problem is indeed "English", you are using the word "soul" with a completely different meaning then the others are using.

Soul Retrieval has nothing to do with "fragments" or "digging." It also has nothing to do with one's immortal nature. Soul Retrieval has much do to with Integration, Wholeness, and recovery of emotional abilities relevant to this life and this body.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:29 pm 

"recovery of emotional abilities relevant to this life and this body."

That's called therapy.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:45 pm 

Shaman Hawk wrote:
"recovery of emotional abilities relevant to this life and this body."

That's called therapy.

That's called therapy to you. Not to me. Soul Retrieval is not related at all to therapy. I know how to get results from both.

Nobody has time to learn to do everything, but there is no constructive purpose openly mocking a powerful subject just because you have not learned how to do it.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:55 pm 

Right, that's it.

Board index » General Discussion » Soul Retrieval