Post subject: Philosophy
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:53 am 

Shaman Philosophy;

Anyone wish to share some?
I am glad to share wisdom and to learn the shamanic philosophies of
others.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:46 pm 

Philosophy is "The study of general problems". That is not my understaning of what that word means.
May I say that the english language restricts our communication of such matters. Modern language has been restricted in the last 70 years or so in America. It really always has restricted us from its inception by shakespeare.
Take a young child fresh on the earth and asks what is that? His parent says... "young one that is a tree." The child thinks a moment and may never spend again the rest of his life to contemplate about the complexity of a "tree".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy
Philosophy is the study of general problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, truth, beauty, justice, validity, mind, and language.[1][2] Philosophy is distinguished from other ways of addressing these questions (such as mysticism or mythology) by its critical, generally systematic approach and its reliance on reasoned argument.[3] The word philosophy is of Ancient Greek origin: φιλοσοφία (philosophía), meaning "love of wisdom."[4][5][6]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:51 am 

stitch indeed!

with respect
Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:42 pm 

Peace be upon all.

By all means then, let in the rivers and the rains of Philosophy;
I love Philosophy. I love love. But I also love Mysticism, too.

But most of All, I love the Lord of Love, whom I call Allah.

Shakespeare I belive, once said, " If music be thy food of love, play on". :D
Alhamdulillah!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:11 am 

True study or just rationalization of things not so easily explained,philosophy,one mans philosophy is another mans heresy,at what point do we try to impose our personal philosophy on others,for their own good of course,we are here together until the end,I wonder why,we each seem to have our own reality that begins at birth as we grow our reality touches the reality of others creating life and death,do we rationalize the bad to facilitate the good or the other way around,how much does individual perception color our reality or are they one and the same,does it matter who's right or wrong or are we all right at the time,how much should faith should we put into the written word,what can be written can be written wrong,faith comes up a lot,how many peoples are extinct now because of their faith in what they believed,they say that history is written by the conquerers,history is not truth,its just the story that the conquerers want told,when will we appreciate each others right to live and believe as we choose,why do some have to be right and some wrong,we have to think we're better than someone else,better than the animals,better than different colored people,better than the world we live in,soon we'll be better than our Gods,better than the kingdom of heaven,and feel sorry for that poor fool that respects all life for the miracle that it is.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:46 pm 

Interesting philosophy Anthony. :D

Kind of dour for my tastes, but that is just me.
Here is a different perspective - just as dour... (':shock:')

We are all dead. We are nothing more than shadows and memories. The light has moved on and we are but the ripple from those last moments of time.

We didn't choose to be here. We aren't even here. We are looking in the rear view mirror and can only speak about yesterday. We have forgotten how to know the future, because the future no longer exists. So, we make up a story, and call it our future or call it our past.

When we open the doors within ourselves, the universe opens so wide it scares us and thrills us. Our wild nature is so strong ,that philosophy can not contain it, instead it merely enhances our wildness image.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:12 pm 

Buttercup Flamefrost wrote:
When we open the doors within ourselves, the universe opens so wide it scares us and thrills us. Our wild nature is so strong ,that philosophy can not contain it, instead it merely enhances our wildness image.

Mmmm, I like that. :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:51 am 

Yes, I like it too.
Mmmmmmmm. Let me see. Philosophy of Shamanism. I don’t remember who said it but:
“Any philosophy that can be put in a nut shell - should be.”
In a nut shell, here is mine.

Problem: Solution
Climate change: Plant a tree
Right vs. wrong: Let it be
Beliefs: Ideas
Judgment: Acceptance
Corporate greed: Barter system
Media Propaganda: Plant a tree
Disease: Plant a tree
Poverty: Plant 2 trees
Human rights: Plant a nut tree

"The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way. Some see nature all ridicule and deformity ... and some scarce see nature at all. But to the eyes of the man of imagination, nature is imagination itself." –-William Blake (1757-1827)

"We must cultivate our garden" Voltaire

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:25 am 

I bet the Madagascar Tree Mafia hasnt heard thAT ONE YET,Profiteering is tearing the world apart,phisically and spiritually,youd think reforestation would only be common sense answer to deforestation,not long before we have floating colonies living exclusively on the water and calling a corn plant a tree.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:07 pm 

Peace be upon all.

Nature has a way of dealing with trouble that we may or may never
fully understand.

Humans are part of nature, whether they like it or not.
They are even an integral part of the animal kingdom
and the ecosystem. Human nature is part of all the
nature, just like bird nature, turtle nature, whale na-
ture, or tree nature.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:20 am 

basic philosophy is do to others what you would like others do to you..

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:10 pm 

oak wrote:
...basic philosophy is do to others what you would like others do to you..

actually, that's a Rule meant for the OR.

Philosophy:
noun = the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline. (from Greek: the love of wisdom)

Shaman philosophy would take this love of wisdom even further, as shaman are not bound by anything real or unreal, nor are they bound by any human rules. and I'm not certain there are any true universal rules, as what seems right to me is not right to someone else. Integrity would seem to be the only one... and there again, the definition is limiting to a shaman.

we use too many words.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:21 pm 

I find it impossible to debate about philosophy of shamanism, like somebody already put it: another man's truth is other's heresy'.

But anyway here is a try.

Philosophy - Love of Wisdom
Shaman - The one who is in love with sacred, wise man.

Wise in a ways of life, maybe, not always, because shaman is still a human. Human is not without a flaw. Or maybe human is not perfect without the flaw. Maybe perfection is in understanding own flaw, and being wise about it. And what is wisdom? By understandin own restrictions is maybe easier to accpet others' flaws.

Love with sacred - what is sacred? In a theory everything. But we do value things differently.

Philophy often is not so interested about answer, but the question. To find aswer for, what is philosophy of shamanism. What is the wisdom of it? Shamanism is a word, which meaning nowadays quite obscure.

Salesman-shamans talk: "Come and learn ancient wisdom of shamans of this and that tribe." It may be, that wisdom is turned into stupidity. People are really paying for a exotic looking chap banging a drum and yoinking nonsense. But there are many ways to do it. (Even in Finland there is a man, who says he is channeling wisdom of ancient Navajo-indians, and people have even found relief with it. When first heard, it sounded sooo stupid, nothing to do with basic tehcniques, like spiritjourney)

Maybe this needs to find out other major questions first, like:

Why is a person practising shamanism?
Why the healing works, if it work?

There undoubtedly are many other good questions, when answered give points into one individual's philophy in shamanim.

Post subject: use of too many words :)
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:05 am 

Rachara El wrote:
we use too many words.

I like that. sometimes words help though :)
greetings!

Post subject: Hi
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:12 am 

I think Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language. It is distinguished from other ways of addressing fundamental questions by its critical, generally systematic approach and its reliance on rational argument. Philosophy of mind deals with the nature of the mind and its relationship to the body, and is typified by disputes between dualism and materialism. In recent years there has been increasing similarity between this branch of philosophy and cognitive science.

Board index » General Discussion » Social Activisim