Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Social Activisim

Post subject: Is the reality of 'Shamanism Without Borders' possible?
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:10 am 

I read an open letter online, signed by Carol Proudfoot-Edgar, Tom Cowan, Cecile Carson, with the idea of organizing a response teams of shamans to handle a wide variety of tasks. I encourage everyone to have a look.

http://www.shamaniccircles.org/practice/ShamanismWithoutBorders.html

How about we discuss this. I can't find any real organizing chatter on the net. I emailed Ms. Proudfoot-Edgar a couple of weeks ago, I should try again. I recommended a book called, "The Thin Blue Line, How Humanitarianism Went to War" by Conor Foley. The author exposes some of the largest problems with humanitarian relief organizations.

I believe the idea of a workable organization of shamans, based on the idea of Doctors Without Borders is possible.

How about we discuss this a bit?

[/url]

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:26 pm 

I think that many of us do a great deal of work for mother earth one way or another. Organizing shamans to do stuff is a bit like trying to herd cats - well, maybe a bit easier than herding cats, but not much.

There is an immense amount of work to do whether it be for our own neighborhoods, or towns or cities, the environment in all its permutations - not mention our own work for ourselves and all the two-leggeds etc wanting some attention.

I have done work for some of the major crises that have occurred - the 2004 tsunami, for just one example among many. But over the years, I have chosen to focus more and more on working with my own city and its energies rather than the vaster scale. It's a matter of scale and where I choose to place my shamanic energies. I feel that by working to heal the energies here I will also have a global impact. In other words, think globally, act locally.

Having said that, nevertheless, thanks for bringing the letter to our attention. I can imagine situations in which I would like to participate in concerted way to help to heal the results of some very large event that would touch us all.

Chris

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:02 pm 

I am one of the original group that started the Peace Chambers project. My last structure was in Colombia South America during the time Uribe was running for President at the height of the war.

The inside joke is that you will find real Shamans in the hot zones, war zones and sites of natural and man made disasters since that's where the real need is. The wanabes are in air conditioned classrooms regurgitating plagiarized curriculums.

The International Shamanic Order already exists. You may see one of us the next time you are in some chaotic hellhole in the middle of nowhere, trying to pull off an impossible project with little or no resources, against an unrealistic timeline.

We just can't resist a party.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:57 am 

Thank you Shaman Hawk and Chris for your replies!

The "herding cats" analogy rings true with me. I have heard shamanism referred to as "democratic"; yet I don't see any majority rule going on. What I definitely see are individuals making good decisions on their own. To me that is more anarchistic rather than democratic. And that said, anarchists have a reputation for being difficult to organize.

It is good to know that some structure has, and does, exist. Being a newbie, I was unaware of the Peace Chambers project. And is there a formal "International Shamanic Order", or is that a metaphor? My quickie google search came up with nothing. But I do understand what you are getting at.

This whole idea does bear further study and discussion. And I do wish the organizers much good fortune.

Old Rivers

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:50 am 

Old Rivers,

Sorry, no website or "formal" (does that mean a plaque on the wall somewhere) organization and we are far from anarchists. We are quite organized in ideals and coviction.

The masses are not ready to accept what real Shamans are, can be or the roles they are willing to take to further a worthy cause. No one is interested in fortune.

International Shamanic Order is very real however it didn't start off with that name. It started from a joke about an acronym we used for the journey phase, ISO "IN SEARCH OF" I pulled international shamanic order out of my ass during a very boring TV interview and it caught on so we kept our definition and the definition for outsiders of ISO. A little Shamanic humor for you, newbie.

We love acronyms. We stay out of the public because of NAFBO. New age flake burn out. Be careful, it's contagious.

Feel free to leave comments on posts at blueplanetshaman.com.

Hawk

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:32 am 

"The wanabes are in air conditioned classrooms regurgitating plagiarized curriculums."

Thank you, Shaman Hawk for that. The real work is somewhere else indeed than writing curriculums down.

I believe in local solution for local problems. Of course there is major disasters, where local reserves are not enough. Suprisingly spirits come to ask help, when needed. I think those are asked, who can help by spirits, like some I know was asked during already mentioned tsunami.

I do not believe in organizations, but individuals doing daily their best just where they are.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:56 pm 

After reading the replies, I have to agree that an organization attempting to network shaman on a large scale, is just wishful thinking.

We are "decentralized" by nature and I do not see that changing anytime soon.

But, I have no doubt that any appeal for help will be answered.

Old Rivers

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:16 pm 

As I see it, Spirit already "centralized" people in their respective posts and those people are doing what they need to be doing. At least I, and those I know are.

If you haven't been assigned a post; you might want to look at that.

Shamanism is a team effort, not a team sport.

Post subject: Re: Is the reality of 'Shamanism Without Borders' possible?
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:32 pm 

It's a matter of scale and where I choose to place my shamanic energies.
I feel that by working to heal the energies here I will also have a global impact.

Board index » General Discussion » Social Activisim