Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: World Tree
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:21 am 

Hi everyone,

I am curious as to how, or if, you experience the axis mundi, or celestial axis while on your spirit journeys.

This is a universal concept and in world myth it has been symbolized by the tree, a pillar, a mountain, lightning, fire, smoke, a cave, the caduceus (modernly used as a symbol of medicine), and even the cross. I would label the swastika, the spiral, and the sacred circle as visual representations of the celestial axis as if one were looking straight down through it's middle. This is the same for the labyrinth and the mandala. The kiva has the axis represented as the sipapu on it's floor, the ladder within the kiva, and the entry the ladder sticks out of above. The Hopi, saw the Rocky Mountains as an axis that stretches from pole to pole, and vibrates with the vibrations of the earth set in motion by the celestial twins. They also saw the spine as our own internal celestial axis, just as we find in the kundalini traditions. The sacred pipe, is also the axis.

The celestial axis appears as the beanstalk, in Jack and the Beanstalk, it is the magical growing christmas tree in the ballet, Nutcracker Suite, it is the pipe that comes down from the sun, as experienced by one of Carl Jung's patients who had no concept of the celestial axis.

We find it in the steeple, the stupa, the minaret, pyramids, dolmen's, stalagmite shrines in neolithic caves, pillars in neolithic temples. It is that secret passageway from womb to grave to womb again, just as it is the Egyptian zenith where the sun and moon travel the sky in the day, and the underworld at night. It is the tunnel of light in the Near death Experience. Some think that it's oldest form was a tree stuck upside down, with its roots up in the air---and a skull placed on top. I have seen a water buffalo skull placed atop a pole in Igorot villages in the Philippines.

It is the sacred center where all things come together. As the center, the whole universe revolves around it, and in this manner it passes through the lower world(s), up through the middle world, and on through the upper world(s). It is the path through which the sacred or divine passes into our world, and likewise, the shaman, the spirits of the dead, and even our offerings and prayers cross over into the other world. The smoke from the Native American pipe, and from the Mongollians fire carry the prayers and intentions heaven word through the smoke as axis. The shaman passes through the cave, or a natural spring, a hole in a tree trunk, or up a birch tree, as he or she passes to the other world. It is the cosmic egg or the world pillar rising up from the primal waters. Or a sacred stone rising up from the land.

In my own journey's I have passed through caves; at a Colorado Hot Spring Resort, I used the hot spring; as I have entered the lower world, I have come down through the sky, onto a very tall pine tree, that I walked down, and seen that it emerges from a turtle shell. I have often seen a sacred fire, with it's smoke rising through the worlds.

I would like to know what forms any of you experience as this archetype? Or if you don't think you experience it in your own journeys?

Do any of you ever associate it with a serpent or reptilian creature----this was universal at one time, from the snake, dragon, crocodile, to the lizard in the Western Pacific where snakes had become generally forgotten, and finally to eels in the central Pacific, where the snake was all but completely forgotten. Even the turtle has this connection. Another ancient motif clear accross Eurasia into North America, and on down to Central America, and beyond, was the World tree with the giant raptor-type bird at its top, and the snake at its base. We still see this in the Eagle and snake on the Mexican flag. Has anyone had such an experience, or association?

Mountain Valley Wolf

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:29 am 

Yeep.

Experience daily doing everyday things out and about or at the house or at work etc.
Far too many to list. One that comes to mind about 6 weeks ago. At a resturant looking into the garden and in amongst the white lillies every flower was a small baby sized skull. There may have been over 100 of them. The resturant was on a raised platform and the garden was about 3 metres below down the stairs. It appeared as though I was looking at the underworld from an elevated position on the platform. I have seen the same flowers in many other places but never in the form of skulls.

Also at work there is a machine that we use which has coloured markings from applying coloured picture transfers. On a daily (sometimes many times a day) basis the image imbedded on the machine takes different forms of faces when I look from about 3 metres away at my work bench. So far inthe past 3 weeks I've seen Jesus a few times, An old Indian chief complete with large headress, An aboriginal woman, a clown/jester, a medicine man, a horse head, several other totem animals and many others. I check it daily now to see who is with me.

Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:52 am 

That is certainly fascinating. Thank you for sharing Elizabeth. The portal to the spirits appears in many ways----it is interesting that even modern technology in this case provides a manifestation of this archetype.

Mountain Valley Wolf

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:47 am 

Yes a real fascinater.

Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:42 pm 

When I spirit journey it is a matter of time. I first think about a childhood memory that is relevant to my message. Next I go back even farther into my mothers womb before I was born and I just rest. Next I am guided into becoming pure spirit (soul) where all of my chakras combine into the color white and then I simply get carried upward sometimes buy a large bird or I simply just float upwards until I am standing amongst the clouds and there I ascend down a staircase to my vision or messenger to learn things. I guess my version is that of a large bird carrying me upward.....One instance I remember I had to climb a very large tree to the top during my journey.

Kodiak Starr Owl

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:29 am 

Yes, drinking about two glasses of water or two glasses of wine in a crowded room does that to me. Energy is like a magic carpet ride and it is good to be able to trust the person holding the steering wheel else everyone falls off.

Responsiblity is a fascinating topic.

Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:21 am 

Hi Kodiak,

I like that----there is actually four forms of the archetype here---the ladder, the womb, the tree, and the bird (by association).

The womb is probably the most primal experience of the archetype, and I think it appears over and over in the spiritual experience. What is interesting is that you regress back to the womb (if that is what you mean by time), and then you go through a purification process----or could it be a regression back into the spirit (back into the dreamtime as the Australians would say)?

An interesting parallel comes from the work of Dr. Stanislav Grof----he was a leading researcher in LSD Psychotherapy. His research pointed to a lot of benefits of LSD in therapy, and later he developed holographic breathing which is a breathing technique that is supposed to induce the same beneficial effects of LSD (though probably not as fun :lol: ). But he has documented how the spiritual experience induced by LSD works through a series of archetypes often including regression back through the womb. The womb experience can move to a mystical oneness with the universe, just like we commonly see in the mystical experience of religion.

If anyone thinks this is a drug induced illusion, they should read more of Grof's research, as he has documented things that are too amazing to be coincidence. I one case, a volunteer, while under the influence, was told by the spirits caring for a recently deceased boy to let his parents know that he was happy and in a place where he was loved. The volunteer was given a phone number to call that turned out to be hundreds and hundreds of miles away, and was in fact that of some grieving parents. This message which came out of the blue, from Dr. Grof, meant an awful lot to them.

I am not promoting drug use (we don't have the cultural and ritual context to properly respect this powerful medicine in the west), but I thought this was a very interesting parallel, and great examles of the axis mundi.

Thanx, Kodiak!

Mountain Valley Wolf

Post subject: Re: World Tree
 Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:59 pm 

Montain valley wolf wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am curious as to how, or if, you experience the axis mundi, or celestial axis while on your spirit journeys.

This is a universal concept and in world myth it has been symbolized by the tree, a pillar, a mountain, lightning, fire, smoke, a cave, the caduceus (modernly used as a symbol of medicine), and even the cross. I would label the swastika, the spiral, and the sacred circle as visual representations of the celestial axis as if one were looking straight down through it's middle. This is the same for the labyrinth and the mandala. The kiva has the axis represented as the sipapu on it's floor, the ladder within the kiva, and the entry the ladder sticks out of above. The Hopi, saw the Rocky Mountains as an axis that stretches from pole to pole, and vibrates with the vibrations of the earth set in motion by the celestial twins. They also saw the spine as our own internal celestial axis, just as we find in the kundalini traditions. The sacred pipe, is also the axis.

The celestial axis appears as the beanstalk, in Jack and the Beanstalk, it is the magical growing christmas tree in the ballet, Nutcracker Suite, it is the pipe that comes down from the sun, as experienced by one of Carl Jung's patients who had no concept of the celestial axis.

We find it in the steeple, the stupa, the minaret, pyramids, dolmen's, stalagmite shrines in neolithic caves, pillars in neolithic temples. It is that secret passageway from womb to grave to womb again, just as it is the Egyptian zenith where the sun and moon travel the sky in the day, and the underworld at night. It is the tunnel of light in the Near death Experience. Some think that it's oldest form was a tree stuck upside down, with its roots up in the air---and a skull placed on top. I have seen a water buffalo skull placed atop a pole in Igorot villages in the Philippines.

It is the sacred center where all things come together. As the center, the whole universe revolves around it, and in this manner it passes through the lower world(s), up through the middle world, and on through the upper world(s). It is the path through which the sacred or divine passes into our world, and likewise, the shaman, the spirits of the dead, and even our offerings and prayers cross over into the other world. The smoke from the Native American pipe, and from the Mongollians fire carry the prayers and intentions heaven word through the smoke as axis. The shaman passes through the cave, or a natural spring, a hole in a tree trunk, or up a birch tree, as he or she passes to the other world. It is the cosmic egg or the world pillar rising up from the primal waters. Or a sacred stone rising up from the land.

In my own journey's I have passed through caves; at a Colorado Hot Spring Resort, I used the hot spring; as I have entered the lower world, I have come down through the sky, onto a very tall pine tree, that I walked down, and seen that it emerges from a turtle shell. I have often seen a sacred fire, with it's smoke rising through the worlds.

I would like to know what forms any of you experience as this archetype? Or if you don't think you experience it in your own journeys?

Do any of you ever associate it with a serpent or reptilian creature----this was universal at one time, from the snake, dragon, crocodile, to the lizard in the Western Pacific where snakes had become generally forgotten, and finally to eels in the central Pacific, where the snake was all but completely forgotten. Even the turtle has this connection. Another ancient motif clear accross Eurasia into North America, and on down to Central America, and beyond, was the World tree with the giant raptor-type bird at its top, and the snake at its base. We still see this in the Eagle and snake on the Mexican flag. Has anyone had such an experience, or association?

Mountain Valley Wolf

Peace be upon you, Mounyain Valley Wolf.

When I was 9 years old and my family were arriving home during the night,
and as I approached our front door, something possessed me to peer into
the center of the starry sky. I then had a vision where all of the millions of
stars were formed into a great and vivid spiral, and the center-star was in the
exact center of the nght sky. I know the spiral was the Sacred Spiral, and it
fully encompassed the sky, the heavens. Wow. Praise be to God, Lord of the
Universes!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:46 am 

Raven's sacred voice

Very good.
You will also find it in the spiral of a sea shell.

Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:15 am 

Greetings Raven's Sacred Voice, and peace be upon you too. That is such a cool story, and to experience it during that innocent period of our youth (but not too young that it was lost to the everyday wonders of the universe) is truly a gift. It is also interesting because I think the spiral was probably one of the oldest ways that man may have experienced the celestial axis.

I have not experienced it in quite this fashion, or in this pure form, but I have memories of spinning around as a kid while looking up at the starry sky, and if I looked at it just right, my point of focus seemed to be the far end of a tube or spiral.

This is the essence of the sacred hoop----for if we could stop the universe from spinnning, and map out its directions from our centerpoint----what would you have----the sacred hoop. Ultimately then, the greatest axis mundi of all is the sky, the horizon around us, and Mother Earth below us.

I see this concept in another representation of the axis----I forget the tribe, but they draw the Tirawa on their faces-----an arc that goes from one cheek, accross the forehead, down to the other cheek, and from its highest point, a straight line is drawn straight down and accross the ridge of the nose. Tirawa is also the Sky Father, and the arc represents the sky. The vertical line is rain, or lightning, but it is also the heart line you see on fetishes. Another tribe uses the Tirawa shape on a buffalo skull in their lodge----it is late and I can't remember names right now...

But a number of years ago, thinking about the Tirawa, I suddenly realized how-----the sky ultimately is the greatest axis... Or, Elizabeth, the sea shell, that creation of nature that is so perfect, it enabled a centuries old mathemetician to figure out a formula for the patterns of growth and patterns of change in nature. after all, the smallest point in one universe, may enbody a whole new univrse in itself...

Mountain Valley Wolf

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:03 am 

Phi.

Post subject: So far
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:54 pm 

I've had good results with:
mountain: peak/caves
river: tributaries/delta
tree: branches/roots

All of the above using drum-induced trance.

Once I tried a running-trance with mountain and confirmed that it could be done but was a poor and noisy experience.

My experiences don't agree about "the sacred center where all things come together". This is because there are 2 of them that I find using a right or left journey. I used the right for seeking and the left for action, although there is an element of both in either.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism