Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: white people would be Shamanism ???
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:58 pm 

I suppose the question might be absurd, but I guess here's the place to ask right? I'm interested in shamanic practices, but I'm afraid how well i'd be received by others. It seems i've heard both sides of the story. I've been told that white people have treated the earth with such disrespect for so long that they no longer posess the connection and skills to listen to her. On the other hand, I've been told that shamanism more or less finds you, and its a matter of the spirit, rather than the color of your skin. Uggh. I'm so confused. I would really like some feedback on this.

Post subject: Re: white people would be Shamanism ???
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:40 am 

Hi, I am new to the forum but have been interested in shamanism for quite some time.

jimmy900623 wrote:
I've been told that shamanism more or less finds you, and its a matter of the spirit, rather than the color of your skin

I would be inclined to agree.I don't think you can tar all white people with the same brush and I think it would be very narrow-minded to judge someone purely on the colour of their skin.

Shamanism is to be found in the pre-christian folk beliefs of the white man. For example, check out Siberian shamanism, in particular the Saami people in Lapland.
Also, in the pagan heathen beliefs of Northern Europe, there is a form of magic which is basically shamanism called Seidr (pronounced seth). You may be interested in this book by an english shaman : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Seidr-Nort ... 996&sr=1-1

Hope this helps :)

*edited just to add* Druidry is also not too far removed from shamanism in my opinion, so you could look into that aswell.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:09 am 

in no way is shamanism limited to one culture, it is the underbelly of all mystical and esoteric traditions. this is because it is a universal practice of all tribal cultures. besides race doesn't exist.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:24 am 

Hi there,Jimmy,
Shamanisn is a universal phenomenon.The spirits are not racists.They see your heart intentions;not your skin color.The spirits are even willing to work with women!Consider, also, that we belong to different races in different life times.
It is true,of course,that in industrial and technological societies,there is much abuse of mother earth and many people have lost the connection with nature.This loss can present difficulties to the aspiring white shaman.
But the connection can be regained.
If you feel uncomfortable with white shamans,you don`t have to associate with them.But,it would be better to follow your heart.
Nagual Woman,
blog:oracledreamhealer.com email:sagedreamscanada@yahoo.ca

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:58 pm 

Trace your ancestry back far enough and we all came out of Africa or so the anthropologists reckon. In the UK and Western Europe, the indigenous animistic beliefs of the Celts, Romans, Germanic tribes and many others were systematically stamped out over several hundred years even extending up to the Saami. What is now called witchcraft was once a form of belief very similar in many respects to shamanic practice. Emma Wilby has written a wonderful book called 'Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits' which parallels the similarities between UK animistic beliefs and other shamanic cultures through studying the court transcripts of the witch trials. She makes a compelling argument for an existing and long established shamanic tradition in the British Isles and Western Europe.

No matter who our immediate ancestors are or where we live now, we all, every last human being on the planet, have a shamanic ancestry somewhere along the line. If your spirits are calling you to a shamanistic way of life then trust your experiences and forget what others may think or say about you. It really doesn't matter what label you give yourself, Christian, Buddhist, Pagan, Animist, Wiccan, Moslem etc etc, someone, somewhere will take a pot shot at your beliefs because it doesn't match their narrow vision of what is right. All you can ever do is be true to yourself.

The West and the 'white man' has never needed more help from the Spirits as we do now. If you can be a bridge between ancient understanding and contemporary expectations then that can only be a good thing.

:)

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism