Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Where do I start?
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:36 pm 

I recently gained quite an interest in shamanism and through the limited study i could do without paying anything I have a basic idea of what shamans do and are. However, i want to help people so i would probably be a healer but can i journey aswell? I can't get cannabis and i couldn't smoke anything in the house (i'm 14) so i would have to find some edible herb if i was to induce journeying which doesn't seem natural. Where should i start? Whats the best way for a beginner to Journey? HELP.
rainman

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:18 am 

Rainman, you don't need to use drugs to journey. It's about stepping into the spirit realm in a trance-like state. Drumming is the most common method, but you need knowledge on where to start. You have a LOT to learn before you even attempt to journey. I do not have the time to explain every detail in how to journey, but I can point you in the right direction. Go to Amazon.com and look up the book "Shamanism as a spiritual practice for everyday life" by Tom Cowan. This will get you on the path if you are sure you want to take it. Shamanism is not some hobby you just pick up like video games...It requires dedication and heart, it is a spiritual practice. Hallucinogenic drug journeys are very sacred rites and are not to be meddled in at your age. I have done a slew of sacred journeys with ayahuasca, peyote and psilocybin when in the right setting and with a spiritual "goal" in mind. Without proper guidance and experience these things can be very scary and even dangerous. 90% of all my journeys have been done with only an 18" goatskin frame drum, no drugs.
Be sure of your choice to pursue shamanism. Your intent should be pure of heart, the spirits will know if you are pure of heart and will or will not choose to cooperate. I was called to this path from prophetic dreams and physical pains that would not leave through western medicine and psychiatry. When I chose to start practicing the symptoms disappeared. Buy that book, read it through...Then continue the path.
I wish you well, walkthepath

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:24 pm 

thank you.
I was assuming most of the time drugs were not used to journey and you have confirmed my assumption
rainman

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism