Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: what to refer to yourself as
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:01 pm 

I am just beginning to put myself out there as a shamanic teacher and practitioner.

What is some acceptable ways to refer to oneself as?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:42 pm 

Hi Alight,

In my opinion, the choice of what to "call yourself" can be sought in a variety of places:
- do you come from a particular set of training, that provides a "title"?
- did you make an oath, a vow, or a commitment?
- is there a set of skills you utilize most frequently?

And I would suggest being honest with the level of mastery, you are at within those skills or practices. If you are an apprentice, then consider stating you are an apprentice. If you have truly mastered an aspect, then consider using a term which indicates mastery.

And finally let your feelings about what you will be called, speak to you. As you "try out" titles, your body will let you know what feels comfortable and safe, what makes you feel like you are stretching and adventurous, and what makes you feel like a fraud.

Just thoughts,

Post subject: Re: what to refer to yourself as
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:52 pm 

alight wrote:
I am just beginning to put myself out there as a shamanic teacher and practitioner.

I did two things: First - I looked at the things I actually do. That is: Dancing and singing Choomey (especially during shamanic sessions). So I decided second - how I could name both things in a way that describes more exactly the spiritual part of the whole thing. Labeling myself a Spellsinger (I prefer Bannsänger in german) was best choice between: chaosmagician, conjuror, angel magician or exorcist. I ended up with the exact things I do and could add more.

Maybe this is the way you should choose in this question? I am being called shaman, but I do not call myself shaman.

Yours,

Apu Kuntur

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:04 pm 

Quote:
Maybe this is the way you should choose in this question? I am being called shaman, but I do not call myself shaman.

Beautifully said.

May I add another suggestion: Healer in Alternative Medicine.

I am using it here, for those who are afraid of the word Shaman, for example catholics. They confound it with brujo = magician or witch.

A careful selection of words can help to open doors.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:34 am 

My Teacher has taught us that it is not the human, but the Shaman energy that works through the human. And therefore, she does not call herself "a Shaman"; she calls herself a Teacher (as she is a human who is a conduit for SHAMAN), or in certain groups of people will call herself a "Medicine Person".

In dealing with Westerners, who believe that practitioners must have "titles" and "credentials" in order for them to have faith that a practitioner is "legitimate", it becomes more difficult -- because lets face it -- there are a lot of "weekend Shamans" hanging out their shingles these days. And so many Westerners (and when I say Westerner, I mean those of our people who are programmed and indoctrinated in the non-traditional, non-anchored society in which so many of us live these days) buy into the supposed teachings of these people, who have taken a weekend seminar and have earned some kind of certificate that says that because they took a certain workshop, they are now Shamans. The word itself has become so cheapened that honestly, many who could indeed legitimately use the name have distanced themselves from it.

I guess all of my rambling is to say that, perhaps if you are trying to teach/reach/help heal someone who needs titles, use the title. It has become just a word, I would treat it as such.

Crowtalker

Post subject: refer to self as
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:58 pm 

Greetings...

I refer to myself as Elizabeth or Mum.
I feel no matter what label you place upon yourself make sure it is one you recognise from birth. In Shamanic practice it is wise to have points of reference to the "real world" as seperate to the "other worlds". Reason being, when you are out of a trance you recognise your normal self fully and awake.
A little like leaving a string connected to the real world while you venture off into the forest, good to be able to follow the string back home again.

Elizabeth :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:08 am 

I simply refer to myself with my birth name and when people ask me what I can do I simply tell them that I am a healer and can do a very advanced form of Reiki and energy work with the body...If someone asks further how I know what to do I will get a feeling from them and sometimes tell them I am a Shaman.,..
Where I live most people are very open to different ways of thinking so I am very open to telling people I am a Shaman. Pick and choose who you tell because not everyone is open and understanding to this way of healing. A lot of times when I tell someone they are often very curious and ask a lot of questions about it, you may be surprised at the responses you get.
I hope that my ideas help you out. :)

Post subject: me
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:03 am 

I refer to myself as The White Chic. And a woman I met, after she found out I studied shamanism said, "You look so normal!" :shock:

Another friend/client of mine sums it up:
"...she's a strange little woman - shaman, friend and defender of the weak, comforter of the lonely, solace to the depressed, and confusing as hell to all others..."

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:25 am 

Rachara El

LOL!!!!!!!!

Ahhhh another kins-woman!

Happy to meet you my crazy friend...

Crazy Elizabeth

hehehehee
:wink:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:36 pm 

enocheye wrote:
Ahhhh another kins-woman!

yes - and let us watch the rest go skipping in to the out of... LOL

Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:32 am 

alight wrote:

Peace be upon all.
I reffer to myself as a sage. A holyman also.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:09 am 

[quote][color=black][quote="RAVEN'S SACRED VOICE"][quote="alight"]I am just beginning to put myself out there as a shamanic teacher and practitioner.

What is some acceptable ways to refer to oneself as?[/quote]

Peace be upon all.

I reffer to myself as a sage. A holyman also.[/quote]

I am the Key,the light of wisdom and truth shines through me to bring Balance to the natural world through respect and love for all.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:27 pm 

My native title is Etaminua which actually translates to “one who intercedes with spirits”, but shaman has become the generic translation. We are also called “Tahmanawas Men” because of our connection to our totem animal. A title is important as a means of identification and respect for one who has accomplished an apprenticeship which traditionally takes years. Honor is important to traditional cultures, and when one uses a title to represent the fact that they accomplished an apprenticeship, it honors not only the person, but their teacher and the spirits they work with – this person is “power-full” and this title honors that fact. A title is not an ego trip, it symbolizes the learning and experience of that person, and gives a means for someone to honor the person who accomplished all of that by calling them, “shaman”.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:53 am 

The above posted comment under my name is not mine,and I dont understand how someone else on this site can post in my name and with my info,a little identity theft going on now,please dont do it again,I am sure that its some kind of technical glitch and the moderator will promptly repair the problem,I only want credit for my own thaughts please.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism