Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Ugro-finnic shamanism?
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:33 pm 

Hi everyone I am new here.Can anyone of you tell me any information about the Finnish shamanism please?I want to practice it but I cant find any information how to go into a jorney etc...so please if anyone of you can give me any information I would be thankful.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:38 pm 

Ooooooooo yes I have read and some methods of Michel Harner

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:28 am 

Well, I should because I am finnish and studied it. What I have found is that shamanism as presented by Michael Harner do not exist in our tradition. We have our wisemen, healers, but thay are not the same as sami poeple's noaid (shaman) or shamans from siberia.

We have had a great deal of famous healers and witches, but how they worked then? Some worked through knowledge of plants, some manipulated spine and joints. A few were runesingers here at the eastern borders. There were others who used verbalic extasy also, but no signs of journeywork as described by authors like Harner. (exept Kalevala may offer one line, which is quite a little to make further conclusions)

I have studied shamanism in general by courses and used the techniques to study tradiotion of our own. Nowadays I receive more information through dreams than journeys, and have been told that remembering is more important. Through remembering may come constant spiritconnection.

Post subject: Moi :)
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:46 pm 

Epäilenpä suuresti ettei suomen-saamelaista shamanismia juurikaan opeteta siinä perinteisessä muodossaan, eli niin, että shamanismiin enää uskottaisiin tai että se olisi elämäntapa. Pikemminkin taitaa löytyä vain näitä "turismishamaaneja", jotka rahastavat japseja Lapissa.
Voin tietysti olla väärässäkin mutta luulen todennäköisyyksien olevan puolellani.
I highly doubt that there are any real shamans in Finnish-Lapland. It's more likely to find a polar bear than an actual shaman from here :lol:
Today this so called "shamanism" is a way to entertain turists, unfortunately :(
So, good luck to everyone who want's to learn about sami-culture when it comes to shamanism, you're going to need it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:45 am 

Britain is very similar in some ways, our shamanic heritage has been all but lost but (BUT) it is still there in some corners. Through old legal documents, old songs, myths, stories, pictographs, symbols on drums, language etc we can piece back together the basics and often it comes back down to our direct connection with the spirits who work with us. They are our elders and ancestors, they teach us, as Jusma says, through dreams, journeys, meditations, visions, divination and messages from the universe.

Since there are SO MANY lost languages and cultures in the Finnish area of the world, it would be incredibly difficult to resurrect a specific shamanic tradition in its entirety and sometimes its no longer necessary to our contemporary way of life to attempt to re-enact a long, lost tradition either.

However, I have had experiences when travelling to countries and places other than my own native land, where glimpses and visions of how things were done in antiquity were given to me. This has not given me the right to adopt that culture but it did allow me to honour the spirits of that place appropriately and how they wished or were used to being honoured.

For me, shamanic work is about working with the spirits who work with you, not the tradition which draws your attention. I know of many lost shamanic traditions where I have been given snippets of information from ancestors but not because they want me to become as they were, more for me to understand something that was relevant at the time. Our own culture needs us to work in a way which makes sense to people here now as well as being how our spirits want us to work, usually the two are mutually acceptable.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism