Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Totems, Teachers and Companions
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:54 am 

In another thread, I got into a conversation that included Totems. I am interested in hearing about others' Totems -- what they are, and how they manifest in the lives of those here.

I work with 5 and sometimes 6 main totems. They represent my "roles" in this life and help me with them. I work with Crow for help with Dreaming; I work with the American Kestral with respect to a Visionary role; I work with Zebra as a Warrior, which is interesting in that Zebra is a prey animal -- it has taught me many aspects of the role of Warrior that were not exactly the ones I originally thought I would find; I work with Dolphin as an Initiator, which is also interesting because of Dolphin's attributes; I work with the Snowy Owl in a Healer role, and the Kodiak Bear as a Nomad. Those "roles" are ME - who I am, and those Totems through their own attributes help me fulfill those roles when they are called upon.

Crowtalker

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:32 pm 

I have a deep and most intense relationship with the Spirit of the Condor (consciously) since 1991 - which itself is being named in Quechua "Apu Kuntur". Condor allowed me to use this name as a spiritual name officially.

This spirit manifests itself very powerful in my live. I am Condordancer (maybe even the last/single one at the moment) and do this trance-dance with a feather-costume made of real Condorfeathers which are a gift from three still living Andean Condors. Because of her I have a deep contact to any Thunderstorm and Lightning - I can predict them exactly to the minute. Also I shamanize with persons near to death, which is another special field of this Spirit. The tremendous power of transformation it manifests crystalizes in my life in a special cleansing-ability.

I cannot imagine to work with more then one of this kind of Spirits in this intense way I do with Condor.

Yours,

Apu Kuntur

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:27 pm 

There are 2 that are always present at the starting place of journey. One guides me to wherever I need to go to contact others as needed. She never speaks. The other only speaks. I don't consider them me. They have their own spirits. But I do consider them integrated with mine somehow.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:05 pm 

As a Chinook Indian, our Tahmanawas (totem) is the most important part of our spirituality, and is represented in just about everything we do in our life. We classify totems as follows:

Birth rite Totem: When a child is born, their birth rite totem is sought by the shaman who performs the Birth Rites and this totem protects the child until puberty.

Main Totem: At puberty one goes through their Adulthood Rites, and during that process they seek out their Adulthood or Main Totem. This is usually done through a Vision Quest.

Secondary Totems: Throughout a person life they have numerous encounters with other totems. Some hang around that person for a time and offer protection and guidance, and others come and go in a relatively short amount of time as a guide or teacher for that particular phase in the person’s life.

The Tahmanawas or Main Totem is very important to an Etaminua (Chinook Shaman) who works very closely with that spirit. My Tahmanawas is an iquatsie-lxak (cougar in the Chinook language) and I have even been named after this totem animal. In all aspects of my work as a shaman, he is with me, especially when I have to perform a spiritual confrontation for a client, such as in a removal (exorcism).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:49 pm 

My initial shamanic training was with a Mayan shaman. He taught me how to journey and brought my first Guide. After several years of working with my Guide, it brought my Power Animal to me.

Now, I work with five additional Guides, each having a specific purpose in my work.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism