Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: The Helmet thing
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:08 pm 

Hi everyone

I wouldn't call myself a definate shaman, although I am slowly beginning to meditate more often and am imagining places/scenery whilst doing so.

Greetings to all anyhow

A scientist, Michael Persinger, has created a helmet device which simulates the feeling of enlightenment, just by subjecting the brain to various magnetic waves. It has also been known to cause visions of things such as spirits etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/20 ... rain.shtml
Do you have a view on this? It's very interesting, I really don't have much of a good idea; obviously these visions are happening in an altered state of consciousness, and perhaps these 'illusions' as they are described are just as real as our normal reality, but require different interpretation.

Personally I think that maybe when we have a 'desire' to see a loved one or a certain spirit, then they come to us, athough this is only being speculative.

Anyhow, I'm just doing a bit of research and I think it'd be really interesting to know people's views.

Kind Regards and Blessings

Alex MacAoidh Pentecost
Best regards

Post subject: Re: The Helmet thing
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:02 pm 

An occasional well structured altered state of conciseness is good for your development toward becoming a shaman.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:17 am 

I dunno.

I wouldn't use it.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:52 pm 

I believe that science is getting closer and closer to proving the existence of the spiritual world and phenomenon that mystics, shamans and other visionaries have known about for centuries. My brother studies quantum physics and I almost think that scientists and shamans could help each other understand these alternate dimensions or realities if they could just get past calling thinking of each other as quacks and/or cynics. There's my two cents :wink:

On the helmet- just because the helmet induced the visions doesn't mean that the experiences were somehow less legitimate. Some scientists might look at this and say "oh, religious experiences are just a physical phenomenon in the brain". But there could be other explanations too. Maybe when our brains are experiencing those wave lengths or magnetic stimulation we are more receptive to the spiritual realm. Perhaps there really were spirits in the room and only the person with the helmet on could perceive them. Or perhaps they were getting a very vivid experience of their own subconscious inner world. Who knows? I don't think we can draw any conclusions about how or why this works the way it does.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:29 am 

i agree with ironweed. There are a lot of quantum physicist who believes thats spirits are in some other form of energy.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism