Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: . . . the DARK side . . .
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:49 am 

Lately my family have been going through some rough times with one thing and another. Last night I had a dream where I was locked into an underground cavern with a river running through it but I had no light and the person I was with had left me there and sealed me in. I knew there were other ways out downstream but it was pitch black and I felt somewhat betrayed.

Looking at this dream in connection with what has been happening in my life I realise that I am being asked to look deeper into my dark side, acknowledge it, be there, go with the flow of my emotions and face a few fears of doing this alone.

I just wondered how other practitioners do this sort of work? Do you have any techniques or ways which you use regularly? In the past I have journeyed to a specific place to look at these aspects of myself but this feels different, a new level, so to speak, of self examination.

Your thoughts would be most welcome.

Post subject: Re: . . . the DARK side . . .
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:13 pm 

you can create a sand painting to honor the darkness/Shadow-self:

- make a list of not more than 10 things what the darkness represents
- find objects in nature that represent these things
- create a sand painting of these things, starting with something that represents you placed in the center
- place the objects around you as they relate to you (some are closer, some out toward the edges)
- work slowly and deliberately, acknowledging each object as you place it
- allow the sand painting to stay in place over night

The next day, revisit the sand painting. See what has changed for you. Maybe you need to add another item to it. (you can alway repeat this process with another sand painting)

When you are ready, gather up the objects and carry them to a place where you can build a fire. Set your intent and take your time as you build this fire. When it is burning steadily, place the objects into the flames. As it burns, give thanks for the lessons, the experiences you had from this darkness/Shadow-self. Pull the smoke over you to "wash" yourself with it. Watch as the flames release the objects with light and warmth. Allow the fire to die down before leaving.

Fire is a powerful transformational energy. This is one way to release Darkness or Shadow.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:11 pm 

Thank you for that Rachara El, Do you mean a sort of mandala type sand painting using different colours?

Fear plays a big part in some of what I need to examine. Fear of things which I never thought could make me feel so unstable so this is new territory for me and needs to be faced/addressed. I will look into what you suggest and see what I can find to represent these aspects.

:)

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:07 pm 

Forest Child wrote:
Do you mean a sort of mandala type sand painting using different colours?

no, not colors, not a mandala, but a sacred circle to contain object that you find in nature that will represent the darkness.

The circle (sand painting) can be a circle you draw in the dirt or sand to create a place for you to work.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:53 am 

Ah, I understand you. This is very similar to a recent way I was shown to work by my ancestors in spirit. How interesting that you should also show me this too.

This is another affirmation for me on a different but related subject. Thank you.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:15 am 

My way of working was through dreams. There was no control or intentions. Dreams repeated itself from time to time until I conquered situation by corporating darkside fully into my being. Dreams ceased to come, when I had learned the lesson.

What I have done this kind of work, it is always been alone. Spirithelpers will not follow you, but you may find out that those who devour may become your friends. Even when thay have those rotten and scary faces.

If I were you, I would try to make a journey and continue by that stream. What you will find out, if you keep walking in dark downstream? That is where your fears are and also your way out. Just start walking.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:17 pm 

hmm, my guide has followed me there, in fact we go there somewhat often. I feel quite comfortable working with the darkside, and I feel there needs to be more written on this subject, at least from an animist perspective. does anyone know any resources?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:51 pm 

Of course there is a lot of work to be done in the dark side. But not every shaman can do it.

It's not just a question of being taught. Some shamans are perfectly able to become white shamans, but cannot become black shamans.

My principal teacher in Siberia would not teach apprentices elements of the dark side if he thought they couldn't handle it.

It's dangerous.

And that's why it's so very, very powerful.

I'd say be careful.

Mac

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:33 pm 

would you care to post any more information? I have read less on this subject than I have experienced, and it seems almost all darker material out there is geared towards satanists and dark pagans to the point where I feel like writing my own book haha.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:33 pm 

Hi Forest Child. For me in the past I used flower essences to tackle and integrate shadow aspects. At one particular stage I used a combination of Snapdragon flower essence and Peyote flower essence, this combination brought me to my knees it was so intense, it brought up some of my shadow verbally, in to my speach so I could hear what was hidden within, not very easy but helpful. The essences guided me in the dream world to see the shadow aspects and how best to deal with them. One combination may work for one person and not for another, so its best to journey to ask advice.
Once the heavier shadows aspects are dealt with I find that the shadow aspects left are so subtle and harder to identify, but the work goes on.
Best wishes,

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:19 pm 

blackanimism wrote:
hmm, my guide has followed me there, in fact we go there somewhat often. I feel quite comfortable working with the darkside, and I feel there needs to be more written on this subject, at least from an animist perspective. does anyone know any resources?

This sounds a bit different from my experience. For me darkside is not a place where to travel, but more something to meet and face. Facing own shadow. And that shadow is me. What is between is a source of endless lessons until a point of mutual understanding is achieved.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:52 pm 

if I may elaborate, what I meant was that at times while traveling through the lower and middle worlds I will face the dark side, and that in these instances my guide does not leave but helps with the situation. this has happened in several ways. my experience may be different due to a slight occult leaning, but I'm not certain.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:17 pm 

Mackenzie wrote:
Of course there is a lot of work to be done in the dark side. But not every shaman can do it.

It's not just a question of being taught. Some shamans are perfectly able to become white shamans, but cannot become black shamans.

My principal teacher in Siberia would not teach apprentices elements of the dark side if he thought they couldn't handle it.

It's dangerous.

And that's why it's so very, very powerful.

I'd say be careful.

Mac

From the perspective of my original question, this answer is perhaps mistaking the meaning. I should have been clearer in explaining that I was asking about dealing with one's own shadow self, those disturbing feelings and emotions which stem from dark aspects of ourselves which we need to deal with or face.

Nothing to do with black or white shamans (which my teacher and mentor who is also Siberian, tells me is not about good or bad so to speak, that is a western misunderstanding)

Thank you to all who have offered their ways of working through difficult stuff. The flower essences I can relate to since lately they have played a significant part in realisation and healing of late.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:46 pm 

I see what you mean, and you are right about black and white shamans not being simply about good and bad.

But we are talking about two different kinds of energies. And the dark side requires particular skills.

The complexities of this issue are better addressed face to face. Maybe your best course is to discuss it with your mentor.

Good luck,

Mac

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:57 am 

I think, this topic has no right answers, if taken into general level. It is also nice to hear about different "procedures", cause this is the main area of major difficulties in one's life.

Working with negative side may awake strong emotions of terror, disgust, lust, anger... which are not so pleasant and in uncotrolled situations, when released strongly may be quite hard to overcome.

Hard work, but thats where true growth lies. I think it like a gardening, the shit fertilises and gives the best results. Too much is not good either, and too much, too raw will make plants just suffer and may kill the plant.

If thinkin the burning prosess, where raw shit is burning to be fertilizer It just take time. It can be turned a bit, give right tempareture and in time it will work out. How much if any care the process needs is complately different in every situation. And if one is after best possible results, it is professionals again whom to turn.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism