Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: The burdens of shamanism
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:19 pm 

I wondered if we could talk a little about the burdens of being a shaman.

I am struggling with feelings of frustration around carrying this. Mostly, always feeling like I am one step ahead of society...I see the future, I see what is coming, I recognize the next step and I wait impatiently for others to catch up. This is where I am at this time. I realize this is my issue, and am hoping more for empathy then any chastising here.

The other issue I have is the sense of isolation that comes from this. It isn't as if I can talk to people in my life around what happens internally. I can't even talk to other shamans about it. It seems to be 'against the rules' for me. I am to contain the energies, as if I am the pot the stew cooks in and can't spill the soup before it is ready, so to speak.

Any suggestions on this or thoughts or others who may feel the same. Sometimes knowing others suffer similarly can help with the feelings of isolation.

Thank you and many blessings,
Pen

Post subject: Re: The burdens of shamanism
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:07 am 

Pen,
I too have felt the frustration of which you speak. Like you mentioned in your post, these trials end up being personal journeys that really don't lend themselves to outside assistance. I can offer a tidbit of advice that I was offered when "impatiently waiting"....you can only show them the door, it is up to them to open it and go through. (This was the nice way to say what I was told...I was told that I was not allowed to through them through the door, especially when I didn't bother to open it first!)

Patience may be a virtue but it is not easy. Be there ready and willing to help those that ask...know what is yours to work with and what is not.

Shine!
Mark

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:42 pm 

One of the burden's that I've noted is more culture regarding the religions of the world. Going back to the source has given me a different perspective on the whole thing that almost no one I speak with understands. The personal nature of shamanic experience in general means that there really is no proper way to do it, there are guidelines of course but no real definite consensus. Even the occultists I speak with sometimes do not understand this, I hear them bickering about details in old dusty tomes, they miss the point.

When it comes to discussion I know what you mean. I feel isolated as well sometimes, I think it comes with the territory of what we do. Shamanism just goes so deep, even when compared to other styles it so subjective and so bizarre sometimes. Sometimes I feel like I'm simultaneously ahead of society and behind it, but I think that's the burden of any mystic.

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:54 pm 

I FEEL THE SAME WAY. I JUST STARTED LEARNING ABOUT SHAMANISM BECAUSE MY MOTHER TAUGHT SOME THINGS WHEN I WAS REAL YOUNG BUT WANT TO KNOW MORE. SOMETIMES I WANT TO TELL SOMEONE WHAT I EXPERIENCE BUT I CANT BECAUSE I HAVE A VERY RELIGIOUS CHRISTIAN FAMILY. I CAN TALK TO MY MOM THOUGH AT FIRST SHE WOULDNT TELL ME ANYTHING BECAUSE SHE SAID SHE DIDNT WANT ME TO LEARN FOR THE WRONG REASONS. SHE LATER TOLD ME NOT TO LET ANYONE TELL ME WHAT I AM DOING IS EVIL OR LET MYSELF BE AFRAID. SHE TOLD ME TO BE VERY STRONG FOR WHAT I KNOW IS IN MY BLOOD. I TOLD HER HOW I HAVE STARTED HEARING MY FRONT DOOR OPEN BEFORE SOMEONE KNOCKS, WHISTLE A SONG BEFORE IT COME ON AND SEEN SHADOWS WALK BY SECONDS BEFORE AN ACTUAL PERSON WALKS BY. SHE TOLD ME TO KEEP EVERYTHING TO MYSELF.SHE SAID IMAGINE IF EVERY TIME I WENT TO MEXICO I SAID "IM HERE BECAUSE I HAD A DREAM SOMEONE DIED" EVERYONE WOULD CALL ME A CRAZY WITCH.

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:50 am 

the role of the shaman is to be a bridge between the natural world and the human material world.It should not be a burden but rather a deep privilege to have found this path. It is never about trying to move others to another place but rather steeping oneself in the energy of compassion and connection with the greater cycles of life than those of our egos.
The greatest shamans I have had the privilege to be with are like playful children....but with powerful groundedness in the larger cycles of the cosmos and so radiating of heart energy that it opened mine just to be in their presence. That is our job too...to be so deeply in our hearts that it moves others to theirs!! To live the sacred every day with immense gratitude and open to a higher vibration of consciousness that is essentially about love. This is such a challenge given the world we live in but it is the only one that this path asks of us.

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:47 am 

Dear Pen,

You are not special because you are a shaman any more than you are special for any other reason. The all that is is equally special. If you suffer, it is because you are choosing that. If you believe it is burdensome to be a shaman, then of course you will manifest the experience of being burdened.

Shamanic work involves attaining various levels of mastery. This begins with mastery of self and understanding how to orient you energy to create the experience you desire.

If you are experiencing the world as your personal drama, I suggest you have personal healing work to do. Start with healing yourself. It is the first step on the path.

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:00 pm 

To me, the burdens of shamanism are responsibility for the welfare of others (all things), weeping and feeling for the plight of others, putting others first, even when I am tired or have other things I would prefer to be doing. Then there is the burden of telling the truth even when I know that someone is going to be angry at my words or afraid of what this truth may mean for them.

What it isn't is a sense of poor me so I can't honestly empathise, that kind of feeling is my own personal journey which tells me that I have work to do. It's good to know there is something which needs attention, it means that I go researching, looking for clues, asking for answers and finding ways to change where I can. Anyone who feels there is nothing left to work on in their being is kidding themselves.

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:40 pm 

I feel shamanic work is an astounding blessing. I never in my life could have imagined doing this work. The word "burden" is difficult for me to understand because the word suggests a weight you find too difficult to carry.

I do believe shamanic work is different from any other kind of work. I have been a full-time shamanic practitioner for fifteen years, and the tricky word here is "full-time." What it means is when I am working, the only wok I do is shamanism. Sometimes, there is less work, and inevitably that is the way the spirits want it because I am holding less power due to other things in life or because they are working with me privately.

I have taken time off, and always will, if I start to feel tired. Unlike tribal villages, we are NOT the only practitioners who can serve. Thanks to the FSS, MANY people are competent with the work, and I know that I am not important. The spirits are and the client is, but I am not. I can refer to others to serve if I cannot.

But mostly it is full-time work, and I feel humbled every single time I walk into my studio. I adore my spirits and fall in love with my clients. The miracles I see and the clients' progress through our work together fill my heart.

I would not chastise you, but would suggest you take time off until you feel empowered and excited again. Also -- and this is very important -- core shamanism is a discipline. When we are working, we are there 100%, but when we release the spirits, we are in ordinary reality 100%. If you are carrying ANY of your clients woes, you need to learn (and I would journey on this) of what you need to do to build stronger boundaries.

In regards to being the visionaries, it is our job to walk one step at time. Many, many people are working toward a new society and culture, and this is grace, especially because new and ever-more loving communities are forming to do the work needed. I do not discuss the specifics of my work with anyone, but as FSS faculty, I am out there and am happy to always converse with the curious.

There is no one to catch up to, and no one needs to catch up to you. We are all unique, and serving as best we can. If you feel lonely, journey more. I was quite isolated when I went through the Three Year many years ago because I lived in a rural part of Washington. Everyone else was from California, and had multiple drumming circles, etc. I went home to my land, and my spirits became my community. It was the best thing that could have ever happened to me, and I bless those days for the time and quiet to really form strong relationships with my helping spirits and with the spirits of our land, our home, our water, etc.

A journey suggestion for you would be "Why do I feel shamanism is a burden?" The helping spirits are always the first and best resource for questions like the one you are asking. Always. Remember you are always being held and cherished. That's why I walk around smiling and laughing a lot!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:07 am 

before my awakening i too felt a sense of isolation due to the hostility and dismissal of what i was experiencing when i tried to share it with others. i feel to be a shaman is like being a warrior of love. most people are still asleep and to show them a way to awaken is like disturbing a hibernating bear. stay strong and adhere to what you feel. try not to "think" to much for your own understanding is limited whereas your heart will show you what you need to know.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:01 am 

I don't really look at abilities in anything as a burden. I have an MBA but I'm not mad at people for not running their businesses right. I used to be a big-game hunter. I was one of the best hunters in my town, but I never really thought of it in terms of being above anyone or thinking how un-manly the other men were for not getting their elk and deer every year. Rather I felt so blessed that I got to partake in something that was so dear to my heart. I think that is why I was a good hunter. It was my heart, a hunters heart, and I lived and breathed hunting, which I believe was something that the Great Spirit put in me so that I could be out in the woods and learn more about Shamanism. So, now that I think about it, I wasn't any better than anyone else, but rather I was out in the woods all the time, thus, I saw more deer and elk.
I don't think we should look down on anyone that doesn't have a certain ability. I have been blessed with great power in my shaman work. I didn't ask for it...it just was...it is what the Great Spirit called me to. However, I don't see things in the future like some do. The power that has rested on me has humbled me and in no way do I see someone else that doesn't have that power as a nobody. Truth be told, I would have rather made millions in the business world, but it is what it is. I am humbled by it and would like to help everyone that I know to have these experiences.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:15 pm 

What of all these mentioned here are real burders of shamanism and what are burderds of ego? Can somebody tell the difference?

If you feel isolated, because you do not feel fitting in, I can tell it is common. But what have it to do with shamanism? It is same with everybody, that deepest secrets are hard to tell anybody.

Everybody seek acceptance, love, understanding and support from other people, and often they fail.

Why should indeed anybody to catch up with me or I should catch up with someone else? Just to lose my own way? To lead somebody wrong direction?

Isolation is necessity. Without it I wouldn't be able to listen. World is so full of noise, temptations, distractions. And when I learned to get rid of that noise, isolation became a gift, developing it further by mediatation and drumming to be in silence.

That does not mean, that meaningful relatioships would not exist. But it is really best to leave work talk to working place.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:25 am 

How blessed you must be to be a step ahead of everyone.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism