Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Synthetic drum
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:27 am 

Those of you who use drumming for shamanizing; what do you think of synthetic framedrums, like Remo drums? Do you use one, would you use one - why? Why not?

Post subject: Re: Synthetic drum
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:08 am 

No-one has an opinion on this?
I have one drum with sythetic skin. I can tell you, standing in the poring rain drumming the free-soul into flight is a real treat :)

edit: typo

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:18 pm 

I have a sort of neutral opinion on this subject. I believe that any drum you choose to use will fulfill its purpose. But I also believe that the more energy and time you put into getting/making an object of power such as a drum, the better it will work for you.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:10 am 

Ezekkiel wrote:
I have a sort of neutral opinion on this subject. I believe that any drum you choose to use will fulfill its purpose. But I also believe that the more energy and time you put into getting/making an object of power such as a drum, the better it will work for you.

I fully agree with you. I have done a lot of work on the Remo-drum to "make it my own", it's become a powerful object :)
I also have a deerhide-drum i made myself which I love. It differes from the Remo, ofcourse, but mostly because it's very different in shape and size and tone. The amount of work and power I put into these drums are pretty much the same I think.
I know some people think there is no spirit in a synthetic drum, but I have different ecperience. The hand-embroydered ribbon that cirkles the frame, the wooden carved handle, the paint, the little sachets hanging on the backside.. and other decorations I've made makes the drum full of spirit :)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:15 pm 

I use two synthetic Remo hoop drums and am very happy with them. I started with one drum and then, for practical purposes, got a second smaller drum. Over time each drum has been integrated into my healing practice and names have come for them. Using syntheitc drums means I am not affected by weather / humidity, and having different size drums mean that I have a greater range of sound when it is required.

For me, these things, our drums, candles, bells, rattles, are tools we use and there is a certain amount of practicality required. This does not mean that we do not have respect and reverence for these things, for they assist us greatly. However, to be true to the spontaneous, Spirit directed nature of shamanic work we must be preapred to work with what we have, what we are given and what is available. Equally we must be prepared to change immediately this is required. If we become attached to any physical object we run the risk of losing our sponteneity and losing touch with Spirit. This is what I believe.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:58 am 

There is an alternative.

I have several dungurs made in Tuva where the climate is dry. But when you take them to Europe where it is damper, the heads go floppy.

I had a bodhran maker (that's an Irish drum) adapt one of the Tuvan drums to insert a tuneable inner rim which means I can tune it up at any time - without a fire.

When I took it back to Tuva and visited the shamans among whom I as apprenticed, they looked at it sceptically at first. Then they were convinced.

There is a Pakistani drum company which makes tuneable Irish drums for the folk-music scene. And they are good value.

And all of the drums I mentioned have real skin heads.

One thing about plastic. While most of the items pinned onto shaman costumes in Tuva are natural - although you can argue if metal is natural - I did see a few colleagues with plastic snakes sewn on.

They consider that it's not the material that's important, its the symbolism. In the same way, it's not the kuzungu which does the healing - it's the shaman's energy amplified and focussed by the kuzungu.

Anyway, that's the opinion of the system I was taught in.

Other people, in other places have their own ideas. And individual shamans also have individual ideas, too.

Mac

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:25 pm 

Maybe this questions is not very relevant, after all? Whatever can be used, if it works. Someone in this forum told once, he is using crowbars. I have used hammer on wall, box of matches and got trancedrumming. Spontaneus spiritsjourneys may start just by raven flying over, staring candle, flames.

If sythetic works for you, fine. Nobody's opinion have any matter to do with that. It is the same with the whole thing, if shamanizing really works, fine use it. If it does not, don't. People do not need opinions on that. There is no need for faith, beliefs. There is no rules.

And if a person start to have a need for certain faith or belief, she may start up building rules and dogmas. Then whole thing start get screwed up. I rather talk about experiencing, whether a persons experiences spirits, interacts with them or just talks about them. There is a saying, when men of church came to talk about God to american indians: "You talk about God, I talk with him."

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism