Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Spirit Helpers
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:08 am 

According to Mr. Michael Harner, the next thing the prospective shaman must do after acquiring a guardian spirit is a large crew of spirit helpers. These spirit helpers can be be of the animal, plant, or mineral family or even otherwise. How do you acquire a large crew of them and for what purposes do you employ such spirit helpers. I've heard that the collective power of a crew of spirit helpers is equivalent to one guardian spirit. The more spirit helpers, the more powerful a shaman.

I've also heard that you could gather plant spirit helpers by ingesting various non-poisonous plants. You could come to posses literally hundreds. Also by collecting and working with rock spirits. All rocks have a certain vibration that determines what effect it will have upon your consciousness and your body, particularly the spirit body, or auric cacoon (aura). Animal spirits other than your guardian spirits can also be considered spirit helpers, although one may argue that you could come to have more than one guardian spirit, but I find this difficult to believe myself.

Where do I find these spirits that I seek. What about the spirits of the dead, like ancestors, deceased shamans and otherwise. I could dream and astral project to Tlalocan and Mictlan in search of such spirits. The vast geography of the aztec spirit world is literally limitless, and is also a place big enough to get lost in. Many trials lay ahead for those who want to go into the lowerworld or celestial paradises. My guide in Mictlan, the land of the dead, is San Simon Judas or Maximon. He takes me on his canoe from the middle world plane, the ordinary mode of existence or reality, down into the underworld where we travel along the river of the dead, which is filled with potentially thousands of spirit helpers in human form.

So whether it be animal, plant, rock, or human, spirit helpers are detrimental to any working shaman that seeks to heal by invoking his helping spirits. How to work beyond this is a total mystery to me. Although I have had my share of practice in communicating with the spirit worlds, the answer to my question still eludes me. How to keep track of the many helping spirits we have. Do you go for quality or quantity that is do you get close to a small number or focus on possessing many, thus working from the sheer magnitude of the number rather than their closeness to you.

Yours in the struggle,
--Teopiltzin

Last edited by teopiltzin on Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Spirit Helpers
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:31 am 

You don't. You create the space to allow who is ready to come work with you, and you honor who comes as it's ready. IME, not everyone has a large crew. Harner's teaching fairly limit the scope of what power animals (et al) bring you. While some are with you for the long haul, many are with you through specific life transitions, or to teach a specific thing then they're off. If you conscientiously open the space for who most needs to work with you at this time to come, you will receive exactly what you need. Powerful stuff.

Dream well.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:21 am 

Yamabushi (山伏?) (Literally: "One who lies/hides in the mountains") is a form of Japanese Mountain Ascetic in a tradition known as Shugendō (also spelled Shugendo) which can be loosely translated as "path of training to achieve spiritual powers." Shugendō is an important Kami-Buddha combinatory sect that blends pre-Buddhist mountain worship, Kannabi Shinkō 神奈備信仰 (the idea that mountains are the home of the dead and of agricultural spirits), shamanistic beliefs, animism, ascetic practices, Chinese Yin-Yang mysticism and Taoist magic, and the rituals and spells of Esoteric (Tantric) Buddhism in the hope of achieving magical skills, medical powers, and long life.

Goho Doji, (seen as the divine boy) are important protector, guardian, ancestor, and servant spirits that serve the Dharma and serve acetic monks who have devoted their lives to the sutras and the dharma. It seems, aside from serving families in an ancestral capacity, and serving temples and shrines, they can take residence in houses too; where they provide protection and good luck/fortune. But, more notably, in the Ascetic Tradition, the monk, upon dedicating themselves to the sutras and dharma, MIGHT come to the attention of Goho Doji who MIGHT then choose to serve him (think traditional Japan not modern misogynist). When healing, the songs and sutras, mantras and chants, were designed to entice the Goho Doji to possess the body of the patient, thus expelling the spirit causing the sickness (simplified version).

Early on, the Tengu (sometimes translated as goblins), were the natural enemies of the Mountain Ascetics, and seen as demons. Even in the later periods, when the Tengu were 'tamed' by Buddha, they retained their mischievous nature and a dubious quality, though some served the dharma and others did not. Later periods seem to have the Tengu serving in a similar capacity as the Goho Doji.

I think it is interesting to note, however, in Japanese tradition there are never more than two servant spirits in the shugendo system.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:44 am 

hi guys,,,
nice discussion is going on ,,,,
i really enjoyed it,,,, and also
helpful for me ,,,
it should be helpful for every one,,,
thanks,,,,

Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:19 am 

Nice to heard about japanese tradition. Here in finnish tradition we do not have any single trace of any spirithelper at all in our tradition. We do honour our ancestors and ask for their help. No poweranimals or spiritguides. Harner's writings are compilations from different cultures so anything said there is not necessarily holding much truth.

I mean, that here it would be absurd to say, that a sage's power would have something to do with the amounts of spirithelpers carried along. Power was here measured, what the sage can really do. Do people get healed, thieves found and so on. How trusted he was with the surrounding community.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:54 am 

Each person's background, ancestry and culture may be different so it is impossible to say with any certainty which, how many or where such spirit helpers should be found. In fact, (no disrespect to the original poster intended) to suggest that anyone should collect 'spirits' in the same way that one collects wealth, jewellery or stamps is somewhat crass. Perhaps Mr Harner didn't mean it quite that way though???

Don't worry, relax and keep journeying with a purpose to learn and grow. Let your spirit helper/s come into your life when the time is right.

:)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:13 pm 

It seems, aside from serving families in an ancestral capacity, and serving temples and shrines, they can take residence in houses too; where they provide protection and good luck/fortune.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism