Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Re: spirit guides and christianity
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:32 pm 

I don't believe in any objective truth but I have chosen animism because I believe it represents something primordial that cannot be anticipated or described by dogma. In my opinion if you fear your god go find another, yahweh was never the only god, do a little homework if you care to.

The other issue is that most of the new age types, as they are attempting to use some other system to replace christianity, they will view other traditions through a christian lens. This can be dangerous during more intense journeys, rituals, meditations, whatever the case may be. the good versus evil mentality must be abandoned before any serious work in any tradition that does not use this mindset is attempted.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:13 pm 

My Granny who is 93 and a devote evangelical christian said this to me the other day when I was leaving her house after raking her leaves and doing her yard work .

In 93 years I have never spoken out of anger to anyone and I believe that is the whole reason I am so healthy at my age because I never feel stress I just accept everyone for who they are and I always have . Then she said you can sum up the whole of religion as Do unto to others as you would have them do unto you and Love your neighbor as yourself. She also (not sure of the exact words ) alluded to the fact that religion isn't really that important provided you follow those rules and religion is really about community because everyone needs to feel they belong.

I thought I would share these sage words from a 93 year old devout religious women because I think its important to not get so wrapped up in our own journey that we forget the wisdom of ALL our elders no matter their faith choices .

On a side note she admits a psychic link between her and I on some level . So I think she is fairly open minded . When I was 14 I ran away from home and was doing terrible things and she was really worried about me . She is not a blood relation as I was adopted . Anyways she had dream that I was home safe and cleaned up from the drugs . She called the next morning to see if my parents had heard anything from me and I answered the phone . I was home and cleaning up that aspect of my life . So our bond has always been special . She is a great and powerful in her wisdom and she is so humble .

D

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:05 pm 

After having ventured into the Mexica religion for a good while--having converted from atheism after a long disillusion--I returned to Catholicism in good stead. It is as though a magical hand was always there pulling my stings, leading me to salvation. I would classify myself as a Gnostic Catholic, therefore I believe that more gods were created by emanation. I don't believe wholeheartedly in monotheism but have more of a polytheistic view, with the creator god at its head reigning but not ruling, leaving humanity to the younger, more active gods and spirits to control humanity.

My gods and spirits, my spirit guides, are of a Mexica/Catholic stock anyway, so I might as well accept both religions. My Spanish and French side thinks Catholic prayers, Spiritism, Gnostic rites, and sacraments can wards off all evil, while my Mexica side takes that side as a given, even a necessity to keep the worlds balance in place so the wheel keeps turning and the sun keeps burning.

I have a loose set of beliefs, which let me wander as much as I want without getting into any trouble. I do read Catholic prayers from the many devotionaries I have come to have, and use holy water and oil from the church in my rites. But I believe the younger gods want us to take a more proactive approach to healing and magic, whether we call it Shamanism, Santeria, or even Ceremonial Magick. Maybe even Wicca. The point is my spirit guides like my temperament and are good in so far as I am good because they are a reflection of me in the spirit world. "I am what I attract," and so forth.

Recently I have been getting into the Ritual de la Adoracion Nocturna Mexicana, which is a book that is used during the ritual of the night vigil adorers within the Catholic church. That I know off, there are also Spanish and Philipino versions of this book. It's filled with prayers I use every day, including the Rosary, prayers to St. Michael the Archangel, the Virgen of Guadalupe, Psalms, lots of nocturnal prayers to the divine sacrament, which is called the Santisimo Sacramento. My spirit guides get along with me ever since I got this book. It's a must read for Spanish speakers everywhere.

I follow a magico-religious philosophy that dictates I must use all the god given powers I have for good, that is for the right cause, on all occasions whenever the gods and spirits see fit, if god himself agrees. That includes healing, divination, remote healing, white magic, evocation, invocation, and otherwise. My mode of being helps me along my path I think, but i'm always open to renewal.

Yours,
--Teopiltzin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:33 pm 

I did return to Christianity for a few years. The pagan and shamanic community felt betrayed, though the gods I have sworn myself to, and my spirit helpers did not seem to. In fact, the gods encouraged it, telling me that I still had lessons to learn there.

I went, learned my lessons, and after a couple of years, returned to the Norse religion and shamanic practice. I never had any bad experiences or reason to find my spirit helpers to be "evil" at all.

When growing up, there were multiple stories of people who had converted to Christianity after having been involved in "witchcraft." These people had all manner of stories about once helpful spirits suddenly turning and becoming violent and dangerous. Naturally the "new understanding" was that they were demons. Most of these claims were eventually found to be false, the people making the claims had never been part of any occult practice.

I find such scare tactics despicable, regardless of the faith of the person engaging in them.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism