Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Skunk Root
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:15 am 

Has anyone every tried skunk root tea, or as is know elsewhere, raiz de zorillo. The traditional Maya use it as a shaman's tea to induce mild visions and cure various stomach ailments. I have traveled to botanicas far and wide in search of this precious herb with no avail. I am told that it is only sold in Mexico and Guatemala. I'm sure that if I find a good folk herbalist, I'll eventually find it, or else I would have to travel to Tijuana or Mexico City to find it. It is often taken by the shaman as well as the patient in order to have a platica or shamanic talk session to help the patient with his life issues.

Yours in the struggle,
--Teopiltzin

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:51 pm 

I have yet to try skunk root tea, as the plant is mildly toxic and I have yet to garner much information on it. However, it is not limited to middle america. I dwell in Michigan and this plant grows wild in a bog across from my home. If you can find information on the preperation of this tea I would gladly try it for you and let you know how it fairs. You may contact me on here or through my email at Loraintrine@yahoo.com.

A humble truthseeker shaman,
Loraintrine

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:04 pm 

Loraintrine wrote:
I have yet to try skunk root tea, as the plant is mildly toxic and I have yet to garner much information on it. However, it is not limited to middle america. I dwell in Michigan and this plant grows wild in a bog across from my home. If you can find information on the preperation of this tea I would gladly try it for you and let you know how it fairs. You may contact me on here or through my email at Loraintrine@yahoo.com.

A humble truthseeker shaman,
Loraintrine

Hello there Loraintrine, i'm currently doing a course in horticulture and i suggest you get the plant positively identified before you start making tea out of it. One of the most common reasons for sickness and death related to plants is ingestion through identification errors.

You may have a great knowledge of plants and in particular teacher plants, i cannot be certain of this so i figured a friendly reminder to be careful was in order. I have to admit i've never heard of this "skunk root" if it's not outlawed down here i might look into it after adequate preparation.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:55 pm 

Thank you for your concern Hyd. and I've done my due diligence this past evening. I have to ask Teo for clarification, are you perhaps referring to chiococca alba? If so my earlier statements would prove incorrect, as I mistook your question to be in reference to Symplocarpus foetidus, more commonly known as skunk cabbage, which is used to make a tincture for asthma and to soothe convulsions. I will investigate chiococca alba while I wait for further clarification.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:38 pm 

It seems to me that you know a lot more about this herb than I do. I read about it in Kenneth Johnson's book Jaguar Wisdom. But see if you could try it and give me heads up as to the effect. It's suppose to be mild in its intoxication, very mild. If you can't, that would be fine also. Regards.

--Teopiltzin

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism