Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Signs of and Proper Etiquette in Becoming a Shaman - Help!
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:23 pm 

I’ve been doing a bunch of lurking here, reading some of the forum posts, and I've found the info very informative. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post your thoughts about becoming a shaman and everything that it entails.

I feel self-conscious and stupid for even asking this, but these thoughts keep popping into my head and I don’t know what to do with them. I feel like I’m wasting a part of myself and a bit incomplete. I guess the best place is to start at the beginning…

I guess you could say I’ve felt this “something” since my late teens early 20’s but couldn’t put a name on it until I was in my mid-twenties. At that point in time I met 4 shamans (2 were very forthcoming that they were and the other 2 never said they were but you could feel it). I’ve also met a woman who does deliverances (expels evil spirits or demons). I’m not sure if that matters.

I also have an attraction to stones and have either been given or found very unique ones. For example, I have a stone with a hole through it; it’s flat and about the size of my palm. Another was given to me by my cousin. I was told that it is a buffalo effigy (a dinosaur vertebra shaped to be a talisman of a buffalo to aid in hunting). I also have four round stones perfectly proportioned from small to large; my three sisters and a big brother as I’ve come to call them. The three smaller ones all look very similar and the larger is not perfectly round (but close) and is a different type of stone. I also have a couple pieces of petrified wood. What does that mean? Is it nothing or more?

I’m not sure what to do? I know where one of the shamans works. He would actually refer to himself as a Midewiwin. Do I contact him? Do I continue to wait? Is it wrong to approach him? I was thinking of sending him a gift just to make contact. Do I tell him that I’ve been thinking about him on and off for the last 12 years and that I think we're connected somehow. Is that creepy? Odd? Crazy? Is that the right way to do it?

I’m naïve of how to go about this and afraid of the outcome. Part of me would be crushed if this turns out to be nothing and afraid of how my life will change if it does come to pass.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Post subject: Re: Signs of and Proper Etiquette in Becoming a Shaman - Hel
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:53 am 

It sounds you have quite much of expectations. If you have been thinking 12 years about approaching certain person, why do you not call him and ask if he had time to chat?

One common error here is this thinking about becoming a shaman. Normally it is spirits, which choose a person, not human. And when spirits choose, human does not have much opportunities to think or choose. Calling is too great to ignore or resist.

Anyway you sound that visiting a shaman could help to live your life more fully and be a person you are. There is technique called shamanic counseling, which could suit well to put your mind more clarified state.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:14 am 

Thanks so much for posting that. The clarification certainly does help and that's what I was looking for...an honest answer. I never was sure and I guess I'll just let this go.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:13 pm 

Okay, after a bit more soul searching I'm still as lost. My head is telling me that this is just a figment of my imagination. That if I question if I am being called, then it's not a true calling. But my gut or heart says that there is more to this and not to let it go. It may not take the form that I think it should/want but it's still something to pursue.

Is it possible that it's some sort of other role that I'm to play like making tools for healers, ceremonies, etc. Is that even possible?

I know that it is very frowned upon to ask a question directly; that what you need to know will be given to you as a teacher feels you should receive it. I guess I'll just keep waiting. But in the meantime, how should I prepare? I've read lots of books over the last 12 years, had dreams, connected with my totem (a owl flew over my house in the day time when I was reading the book to connect with your animal totem), worked as a counsellor for years helping others and myself in the process. I feel I'm in a very good place, being open and ready. And I'm now impatient and wanting to get the ball rolling. I know that's not the way to approach it either but I'm frustrated and confused.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:46 pm 

Hello Janis.
Perhaps a good option for you is a vision quest.
It helps one to get a clearer picture of life and ones place in it.
If you surrender to spirit and cry out for your vision while in isolation and fasting, then Spirit normally gifts us with direction and inspiration.
It would be a positive step and perhaps put an end to the wondering-waiting-thinking cycle.
I believe there are good people in many countries facilitating Vision Quests, that might help you to prepare.
I wish you well

Last edited by willtrua on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:26 am 

I know your feelings very well. World is full of different roles, but after all the best one is just being you. You do not need to become anything else. Meanwhile, when your mind is wondering, pondering acting like busy monkeymind. Just start to express yourself. Start doing things you enjoy, you frieds, paople around you enjoy seeing you doing. When you are connected whole heartedly to that it can be same or better than shamanizing.

Start from small and let things grow if it is meant to grow.

It does not matter if you are doing healing, tools, barbery, baking or slaughtering. Every action can be spiriatually as valid, if you are at the moment of doing connected.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:10 pm 

I am not sure what you are looking for exactly.

There are many good books about stones, I like "The Book of Stones: Who they are and what they teach" by Robert Simmons and Naisha Ahsian. You could always hold a stone and ask it a question that you want to know about the stone, close your eyes, relax and wait for an answer.

As for contacting that shaman. What are you looking for? A teacher? A healing? Know what you want before you contact him.

I do not think a gift is needed.

You could always contact him to just ask him questions about his work. Be prepared with some questions about shamanism or his style of
shamanism.

He might want you to make an appointment and to pay him for his time. (not ever shaman is this way, but there are some that are those who expect to be paid for there time no matter what the time is being used for... just so you are aware).

Hope this helps.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:34 am 

Thanks so much for everyone’s advice. I find it very intrigiung that you would say what you said Jusma. I have always been creative and I do find that it helps. I bead weave and knit and there is something about the repetitive motions of both that are very meditative. Often times I find my mind wandering and having “deep thoughts” if you will. I’m currently knitting an afghan that I think should be a gift for someone. I’m not sure who or what context but time will tell.

As for your questions GreenRiverWoman, I’m looking for a shaman to be a teacher. I feel I need some sort of guidance and not to head off into this venture willy nilly with no direction. I don’t want to open up a can of worms if I can’t get the lid back on. I’m led to believe that when working with spirit, it can be very powerful and draining on the individuals involved.

As far as contacting the shaman I know, he lives a very long way from me. Yes I could call but I’ve always had the understanding that it is VERY frowned upon to approach a shaman. In native culture, which this fellow is, you’re selected through signs, etc. That’s what I was trying to get at about the stones. Are these some of the signs that would be considered? I think they are but I don’t know how to use them, especially the round ones.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism