Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Shamanism in novels - what can you learn?
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:56 am 

I was browsing Amazon and found a new e-book called Black Sky, White Sky by Ken Hyder.

Although it's a novel, this book, set in Siberia is full of fantastic detail. Seemingly the author is a musician, as well as a journalist, and spent a lot of time there, and local musicians introduced him to shamans.

Anyway they gave him a lot of stories and actually the book has more of a ring of truth about it than many technical anthropological books I've read about shamanism in this area.

Often with academic books, you get the impression that the shamans are just telling researchers what they want to hear. This is different. There's a lot about rituals and how shamans are taught - and it's also a great read.

I'm wondering if anyone else has spotted it - and whether there are other novels out there which give such an insightful account of contemporary shamanism?

Last edited by Brian Symonds on Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Shamanism in novels - what can you learn?
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:58 am 

I will check that book out, David. interesting topic. I've not read other fiction that openly embraces neoshamanism, but I hope that mine will come out soon!

Dream well!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:02 am 

Hi Kelley.

I suppose you could call it neoshamanism - but actually it's the old, traditional shamanism that's examined.

It was kept under wraps by the soviets, and the old shamans were doing their work in secret for fear of being arrested.

Then when the politics changed about fifteen years ago, they started going public.

Good luck to you,

Brian

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:57 am 

I learnt most of shamanism (including its existence ) thanks to Castaneda. I would surely prefer to find a shaman in my town but that s all i found ! lol :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:15 am 

I happened to recall this morning, Storm Constantine's Wraeththu series is quite shamanic in basis. She creates an entirely new race and divinity, the intermediary of which is the tribal shaman. Brilliant series and beautifully written.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism