Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:38 pm 

Speaking as a part-blood Chinook Indian, and as a traditionally apprenticed shaman, I have to say this about the subject…

1. I only agree with the argument against non-natives practicing Native American beliefs when the are claiming a particular tribes approach, such as some saying they are practicing Lakota or Salish when they are not affiliated or associated with that tribe. When someone claims in general that they are practicing Native American ways, they are not hurting anyone and they are giving strength to the numbers of those who are practicing such beliefs because as we all know, the dominate religions of the world, such as Christianity had learned one thing that the Native cultures didn’t – ORGANIZATION. The more numbers behind you the stronger the voice in this world. If shamanic believers would come together, perhaps some of our federally recognized holidays could be other than Christian.
2. A religion or spiritual belief system is an ideal not a race. Is their a race requirement to be a Christian, or a Catholic, or even a Buddhist? I feel that if one feels in their soul they are a Christian, or a Buddhist or a Native American, then they should have the freedom to practice that belief. After all, in Native American history many non-natives joined tribes and worked their way up to being, chiefs, shamans, and medicine people – and they were not even born members of that tribe.

In conclusion, if they are not stepping on anyone’s toes and claiming to be a practitioner of a particular tribe’s shamanism without being of that tribe then let them. They are not hurting anyone, and they are increasing the voice of shamanism in Western Society.

Post subject: Impossible to Exploit NA Spirituality
 Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:48 pm 

It is impossible to exploit any True Spiritual Path. A person capable of the intent of exploitation is incapable of actually touching on anything real in a Spiritual Path. Exploitation and Authentic Spiritual Experience are mutually exclusive. As for those who are in any way fooled by these Charlatans, well, they are receiving according to their understanding, that is the way it always works. When they begin to awaken, they will see the falsehood and move on. I do not think there is anything to worry about. This argument is really at a level one seeks to leave behind.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:31 pm 

Love and Peace is the way!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:20 pm 

PREVIOUS POST >

my last post was angry, i have though about this a bit since
then.

well... we know that creating countries and alliances has inadvertedly (wrong spelling, i think) caused many wars, so i think lines should not be drawn and those who steal others culture not punished only frowned upon and so it is very correct that making rules allows for loopholes, so this should be avoided...(to avoid devision and encourage unity)

...really anyone who uses a culture they do not belong to, as their spiritual practice, is bluntly "shooting themselves in the foot",...

so i think people without a culture would be wise to create one from a "pantheon" of beliefs which they have chosen, and not to rely un-wisely upon one system with a cultural viewpoint or belief which they do not belong to, and/or agree with entirely.

we should use the example of chaoists who often create a sweet sauce from various non-conflicting cultures or beliefs, instead of swallowing something they aren't native to.

so to summarise my rather sketchy post (lol), think and discover for your self ( and make your own PERSONAL rules), dont swallow things which dont belong inside you, and rely on the experience of people in similar situations and your own experiences

StoneCrow xxx :?

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism