Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: SHamanism and creed?
 Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:45 am 

Hello all,

I am new here. My wife and I are very interested in Shamanism. We are a bit tired of organized religion. I know shamanism isnt really a religion but more of spirituality and spritual practices. However, I wanted to know is there a common belief amongst shamans? What I mean is do they all seem to worship a Deity or groups of deities? Do they all view after life to be the same?

Thank you in advance for the replies

-Juan

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:53 am 

Also what books could help us start our journey?

I would love to meet some shamans. I live in Altamonte Springs Florida I am trying to find some around. If anyone knows of any groups please let me know.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:22 pm 

Welcome!

Shamanism is a tricky thing to pin down. It can come to you, or you can go to it. Everyone's system is different because everyone has different experiences and viewpoints. I myself had no religion for many years until a particular experience occurred that tied many things together and very long story short, I found my path. Though it might be more accurate to say that the path was waiting for me to find it.

Michael Harner has tried with his "core shamanism" to tie disparate elements from many shamanic cultures and traditions together in a kind of universal shamanism package. I'm not his biggest fan, but if the system works for you, it works for you.

I would investigate various /styles/ of Shamanism, but PLEASE be careful not to directly copy anyone's traditional system unless you have a legitimate claim to it. As an Anthropologist, cultural misappropriation really ticks me off, and frankly, the less pretend Native Americans there are running around, the happier we'll all be.

However, I see nothing wrong with some overlap. If your end result has things in common with others' systems, so be it, so long as they are practical, functional foci for you.

I wish you well on your journey. Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:32 pm 

Thanks for the reply. So there is not necessarily a worship type link common amongst shamans?

As far as copying a tradition you advise against it? But if you advise against it how does one learn about shamanism? I thought shamanism can be for everyone? I have heard of shamans from tribes in mexico teaching westerners. If I were to try to research my history I would find different paths because from my fathers side he is mexican and my mother she is german and Irish. SO i would not have a particular traditional background. Plus if my wife studied her background she would be following a dominican style tradition so we would be on different traditions. Isnt it possible for us to find one tradition even if it has nothing to do with our ancestors?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:05 pm 

Oh yes! Life offers limitless possibilities and shamanism is that life.

But like Twinbull said the path was there waiting to be found. Instead of picking up a tradition, just let the life guide you. And if that is too soon, follow any path that pleases you to find life and then let it guide you.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:39 am 

Greetings,

Shamanism is a spiritual practice which allows each of us to get in touch with our own guiding and protective spirits, spirits which will take both aminal and human forms. Ritual and intention set up a sacred space in which it is safe for us to communicate with them without risking an encounter with some of the more dangerous stuff out there. The good news is that each of us gets to choose the rituals that serve our souls best. There is no prescribed form. As far as intention goes, purity of intention is everything in contacting the world of spirit if we want to be safe. In terms of human teachers, every tradition has its own rituals for approaching spirit - and so, different traditions set up different rituals. They all work - purity of intention is the guiding element behind the rituals. Ultimately, as far as I can tell, the rituals don't have to belong to any specific tradition in order to work since intention is the key element behind them.

My own genetic ancestry is very solidly German/Celtic. Not one of my guiding spirits come from that background, to my immense surprise. But I believe that we each have a spiritual ancestry that may differ greatly from our genetic ancestry. My own spirit guides come a bewildering range of the world's spiritual traditions. It never fails to amaze me.

Drumming, rattling, dancing, vision quests, fasting, and various sacred plants (I probably left something out?) have traditionally been the gateways to the world of spirit once ritual and intention are solidly in place. Which you choose depends on the cultural tradition you feel drawn to - or to the opportunity which presents itself close to where you live. It can be as simple as that!

I suggest you check the internet and local print media carefully for opportunities to discover shamanism. You don't need to travel to the ends of the world. Word of mouth is also a very useful way to find someone if you are brave enough to tell friends that you are looking for someone who could introduce you to shamanism.

In any case, use your heart to put the intention out into the world that you be guided to the right human teacher who will show you how to do it in a safe way. Once you know how to do it and feel comfortable and safe doing it, your spirit guides become your teachers, not the human who showed you how.

Your spirit guides are already there around you helping you and guiding you even though you don't know them. Trust them in this matter. They will help.

Chris

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:32 am 

Respect for creation,acknowledgment of the life in all things,and a willingness to be one with all of creation for the guidance and betterment of all of creation,every day,the ability to travel and communicate through different plains of reality.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:19 am 

Chris, Jusma, Anthony; I couldn't have said it better myself.

Spiritualseeker-
I only advise against the wholesale copying of another's path, since that is no way to find your own. I am also of mixed heritage, and have routinely been surprised by the kinds of entities I encounter given my genetics.

Find a firm base to start from, and let it guide you. You may pass through many systems before you find the one for you. As you are now passing from one faith to another, so may you pass from one type of shamanic practice to another. Embrace the change, embrace the strange.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:45 am 

Thanks Jusma, Twinbull, Anthony, and chris. That clears some questions up. I am going to be looking for a shamanic group around here. I would love to find those into mayan shamanism since part of my ancestry traces to the mexicans though not necessarily mayan. Thank you all for the support

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:10 am 

Try Aztec and Chichimec shamanic relations.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:40 pm 

Thanks Anthony. Do you know where I can read more on them on the web? I have searched but didnt find anything that seemed credible info. Some stuff leads me to christian missionary stuff.

I would appreciate it :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:42 pm 

Being descended from the Tlaxcala peoples myself, I've done some similar research already. Unfortunately, there are painfully few written records from that time, thanks to the Spanish, but here are a few basic links to get you started:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_religion
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... -maze.html

And the book "The Myths of Mexico and Peru" is a good primer and a good read.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:10 pm 

wow thanks a lot twinbull. Ill look through the links. IF you dont mind could you please tell me how you came into the shamanic practices?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:58 pm 

As I mentioned, it's something of a long story, but I think I can relate the details privately, if you wish.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:18 pm 

[quote="TwinBull"]... be careful not to directly copy anyone's traditional system unless you have a legitimate claim to it. As an Anthropologist, cultural misappropriation really ticks me off, and frankly, the less pretend Native Americans there are running around, the happier we'll all be..."

I would like to point out that there are many, many people in North America who have Native Ancestors, though they would not qualify to be included in a "federally recognized" "tribe" they have a legitimate and inborn right to follow any Native Spiritual Path they find works for them. Also, let us not forget that many believe we may return in another life, perhaps completely without NA genetic heritage, and yet spiritually one may be fully Native. There are Ancient Spirits who know which of us belongs to them. Anthropology may be an interesting science, but it is only a science, bound by strict limitations, and created long after Reality took form.

Bouvette

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism