Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:09 pm 

As I have mixed heritage myself, I can hardly discriminate against anyone with even a drop of indigenous blood in their veins. There are thousands of years and hundreds of generations between my mexican ancestors and myself, and yet I feel their influence just as strongly as I do my european ancestors.

I cannot speak as to other lifetimes, but in this one, I hate seeing middle aged soccer moms calling themselves shamans because they took a two hour course, or went to a weekend seminar. It really bothers me to see lilly white northerners and redneck southerners dressing up like the people they killed on the land they stole. If you truly feel a connection to the faith of an indigenous group, by all means pursue it. But I refuse to support anyone who is doing it because it's trendy. Or because they're bored.

And though it pains me to say it, anthropology has not been considered a science for quite some time. Around the time most anthropologists stopped using the word "savages" to describe native peoples, it became a "soft science", a part of the dreaded "Humanities"; those areas of study that lack "pure" science's strict "rules" and harsh "laws" and as such was hardly worth teaching and so it was therefore open for the first time to those who weren't white, male and rich. Since then, some of the most valuable and complete anthropological studies have been recorded, and several divergent fields of anthropological research have been created, preserving many cultures whose wisdom would otherwise be lost in the sands of time. My anthropology professor in college was working on preserving her own Miami culture when we met, and it was her dedication that got me interested in the field in the first place.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:52 pm 

Very interesting Bouvette. Thank you.

Twinbull i would love to hear about it if you ever get time you can PM me.

I am trying to find the path that is right for me so I would love to hear from other seekers.

Thanks!

-juan

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:18 am 

blessings to you, Spiritualseeker, as you walk along this convoluted path.

My traditions are deep, stemming from my European grandmother, a Toltec shaman, my studies in ancient Peruvian energy medicine, and a Taoist priest. Beautiful work and pure hearted, these people shared their love for the earth and all that live on it and beyond.

Allow your heart to guide you. And be open to what Spirit has to say. That quite voice you hear deep inside is what will be the best teacher. One of the most amazing ways to connect is through automatic writing. Sit quietly and ground yourself. Breathe deeply for a few moments and allow your Self to relax. Then ask a question (out loud). Write down what you hear. You will be very surprised at the answers that come... and don't be surprised if you cannot keep up!
:shock:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:49 pm 

Beautiful advice I think I will definately try it. I need to make my meditation more consistent. Its interesting because the advice I gave I think I heard the same thing in a book by Shakti Gawain. Thanks a lot :)

with loving kindness
-Juan

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism