Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Shamanism – ancient and modern
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:38 pm 

The lineage of my teachers goes back many thousands of years in central Asia/southern Siberia, and as you might imagine, I’m very respectful of the knowledge which was passed on to me during my apprenticeship there.
However some of my Western clients have difficulty understanding that this kind of shamanism is very different to that which you might pick up in a Western weekend workshop.
Many clients come to me expecting me to use crystals, realign their chakras and take them on some kind of shamanic journey…like I’m a shamanic travel agent.
Most, however do take time to appreciate the older tradition. It’s not a question of one approach being right or wrong.
It’s more to do with what works – and integrity and continuity of what’s been tried and tested.
And it’s not a battle – though I know that not so long ago, there were regular showdowns between rival shamans in Buryatia. And they were engaged in the same kind of traditional shamanism.

Mackenzie Blyth

macadyg@gmail.com

http://sites.google.com/site/macadyg/

Post subject: Re: Shamanism – ancient and modern
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:41 pm 

Well said. I think there should be more distinguishment here too.

~Owl

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:25 pm 

yeah it makes sense concerning the attitudes of a lot of the new age crowd. but on the same hand what I practice is modern, in someways perhaps not even truly shamanism. i just don't have the means to work with indigenous people right now. however as the world has changed so much, I feel new traditions must emerge. but I say that with much respect for the old ways.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:11 pm 

Agreed, Mackenzie! To me, the only way I know how to practice is with using old methods. I think that we do need to use what works and I've found that different methods work with different people. In my opinion, a shaman should be diverse and adaptive enough to change and be dynamic in our practices.

By the way, I would be fascinated to learn more about Eastern shaman traditions. I have a very basic knowledge of those ancient arts. I love to learn about how others practice and how they learned the ancient ways.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism