Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Shamanic Calling
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:15 pm 

I'm extremely drawn. I want to become a shaman so I can help to heal others. The only problem is that I know certain people are meant, or "called" to be shamans, and it would seem to good to be true if I were one of them. What is a sign that someone possesses the ability to become an actual shaman?

Post subject: Re: Shamanic Calling
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:46 am 

The spirit calls everyone,not just those who are meant to be shamans.Anyone can become an actual shaman,if this is what they choose to be.It is a matter of intent,discipline,practice and knowledge.If you feel such strong desire to take this path,you should follow your desire.Find a shaman teacher or group and learn the ways of the shaman.There is no failure or success.You could always change your mind and retreat to ordinary life.Good luck.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:44 am 

Calling and desire are not same. Desire is born from in emotions, calling comes from spirits. When you are listening the call, you do not know the way, what are the steps, you are actually quite blind, but still you take the steps towards the source of calling. And you wonder.

If you have desire to become something, like a shaman, you may study techniques, habits work hard for common knowledge of the matter. Someday you may have achieved, what you have desired for.

At first example person may not know at all, what is going to happen, if the path is going to lead into shamanhood or not, it can lead anywhere.

There were different "signs" or "qualities", which were considered when person was directed to follow shaman's path by elders of tribe. But we do not live tribal life anymore. And signs were often cultural. One of the most common sign was shaman's sickness. A period, when spirits boil the chosen's body or mind with nasty illness. I think this is one way to shamanhood these days still existing. Spirits still chooce people to become a bridge between material and spiritual. But these do not necessarily call themselves shaman, healer or use any other label. There are millions of ways to work between.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:33 pm 

You can go on a Vision Quest,do journeying or guided meditation, and call for guiding dreams.This is how you will find out.Also,you can read my blog for additional insight: Google:OracleDreamHealer-as one word.

P.S. I don't believe that getting very sick is a call from the spirit to be a shaman.This is a myth.You don't need such a "sign"! Countless people get seriously sick.So what is so special about it?Some people use their illness as a lesson and establish better relations with Spirit,as a result.Some of them become shamans.There are many superstitions among shamans and about shamans.People want to be special,so they even think that their illness is special.If you want to work with spirits,you can.Also,I advise you to learn about healing with herbs.

oracledreamhealer.com

Last edited by oracledreamhealer on Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:23 am 

Shamanic sickness a myth???
Even wikipedia knows better. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamanism
There is numerous sources and autobiographies of old and new shamans, which show life of wounded healers.

About becoming a shaman. It is very, very simple, either spirits choose you or not. If they do, you have not practically other choices but follow.

If they have not chosen you, do whatever you like. You have more options to choose from than the other.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:31 am 

Wikipedia is not a reliable source of knowledge.Anyone can submit an article to it,and I know some people who do it for money.So,if you want to be included in Wikipedia,for a small amount,they will write an article about you and submit it.No verification is required.
Shaman's ego is famous!They build an identity around the idea of being a chosen people.I know a famous shaman,who is also a great artist.He says that he reincarnates into the human world every 500 years to bring to the humans intuition and creativity.He now suffers from Parkinson disease.He thinks that his disease is unique and special!Sir,every living being is unique and special.Shaman or not.Of course,we all need some validation and confirmation along the way,and we want to be special,at least to someone.
As to the matter of being called to be a shaman.Many people are called,but very few listen.There is free will.It is hard in today's world to be a shaman,and I don't blame anyone for rejecting the call.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism