Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Shamanic Book Club
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:00 am 

I have this idea that I think some of you might be interested in. Lets make a book club and study group here on shamanportal in order to more deeply comprehend and appreciate shamanic literature. People could suggest common reading that is readily available through amazon. What I was thinking was that we read either Michael Harner's The Way of the Shaman or Mircea Eliade's Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstacy. These are I think the most important books on shamanism to date, or at least they are widely acclaimed. What we would do is probably have a weekly discussion on each chapter of the pertaining book, working ourselves through it to the end. If anyone is interested, post to this thread. Any extra suggestions would be appreciated.

Yours in the struggle,
--Teopiltzin

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:03 am 

I think everyone started with way of the shaman. That book manages to float like ice cream in rootbeer.

I have a library list full of stuff I've used, but didn't bother to keep. But what I would recommend for reference is all the art books on shaman tools and ceremonials.

Anyway, the books.
Joan Halifax's book Shaman:the wounded healer was great for gettin' my knowledge on. And Urban Shaman by Serge Kahili King, PH.D was an outstanding trip.

yeah.

Post subject: BOOKS
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:37 pm 

I loved Simon Buxton's Bee book and Eliot Cowans Plant Spirit Medicine
not read the way of the Shaman but will do soon and the ones you mentioned-lovely nu reading list

Post subject: Dance of Stones: A Shamanic Road Trip
 Post Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:35 pm 

Please consider the book – Dance of Stones: A Shamanic Road Trip
I will state right off that this is a plug for my own work. I see no reason to have someone else nominate it for me. It has received excellent reviews from a wide range of readers and works well as both an introduction to shamanism and a deepening for those who already have some background. Check out the reviews on amazon.

namaste,

Kenn Day
http://www.shamanstouch.com

Post subject: Wolf Moondance
 Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:39 am 

O'Siyo, all! I was raised around spiritual healers but began studying with Wolf Moondance through her books aout 15 years ago. Then, a spiritual elder came in to my life and he taught me so much before his passing in 2002. Since then, 've learned that Shamanism is much like the craft of writing or art. There is aways rom for learning and growth, and certanly self-improement. I think a book club or study is a great idea. My problem is I literally have no extra money for books. If it can't be ound at one ofour public libraries, or downloaded free online, I'm out o luck.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:58 pm 

I think it's great that we can skip real apprenticeships and just become Shaman by reading books these days. I think we should start a program where you send in ten bucks and two box tops of your favorite cereal and then channel the information when you need it.

Way of the Shaman, please.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:10 pm 

It may be worth remembering that spirit calls people to service in many different ways, in the West, many of us have no indigenous teacher living round the corner to instruct us in the ways of our own cultural and spiritual heritage so spirit lead us to books and the internet.

Mircea Eliade's Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy is a fairly dry tomb of collated information, mostly collected by Christian missionaries (so tainted by belief) which is clearly misogynistic and favours only the men in shamanism. Eliade never set foot outside his office, never met any of the 1st nation shamans he wrote about and merely collated information. Not the best foundation regardless of how it has been hailed in the past (by those who really did know no better). When there is nothing else to compare something to, it often becomes the only landmark in that area.

Sarangarel's books 'Riding Windhorses' and 'Called by the Spirit' are specific to Siberia but reading between the lines, one doesn't have to adopt that culture but we can learn a great deal about how we interact with spirits in our own practice.

Personally, I found Simon Buxton's book 'the shamanic way of the bee' to be somewhat like a teenage boy's wet dream, but perhaps I am being unkind. The book was ghost written by Ross Heaven AFAIK and there is a definite similarity in style between Ross's books and the above. Both are young men, taken under the wing of a strange, untraceable elder of a virtually lost shamanic system and trained to be the last and only practitioner . . . ! By all means enjoy the narrative, gleen the truths within the story but as to whether it is completely factual (as with Castenada), well perhaps you can make your own mind up.

The Woman in the Shaman's Body by Barbara Tedlock is an honest, well written and immaculately researched book but will appeal more to women than men I guess.

Spirit Knife, Soul Bone: the Ancient Shamanic Art of Extracting Negative Energies by Crow Swimsaway PHD is the only book of its kind I think. Perhaps not the best written book ever but interesting to the practitioner.

Shaman Hawk - there are many people who wish to learn about shamanic ways of living, they may not become or even be called to be a healer but their life and way of living can be improved by learning about shamanic beliefs and practice. I do agree that simply reading books in no way comes close to the necessary learning from an Elder but for many, the books will be enough if not the only way that they will find some accord with their own beliefs and some direction too.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:35 pm 

Some of my favorites have been...

Urban Shaman by Serge Kahili King. Pretty much packed full of usefulness, from the 7 governing principles of Huna, to working with energy, journeying, connecting and healing through shapeshifting (grokking), and lots of other good stuff.

AWAKENING TO THE SPIRITWORLD: The Shamanic Path of Direct Revelation
is another excellent volume, this one by Sandra Ingerman and Hank Wesselman. Covers a lot of ground, touches on everything from journeying to doing ceremony, knowing your favorable moon time and season, the power of gratitude, lots more... includes a CD with several journeying options. Still reading this one through for the first time, and so far it is very good.

Journey to the Sacred Garden by Hank Wesselman is a great how-to book on shamanic journeying. Its short and sweet, and gets right to the point. I would argue its the best and most concise intro to journey work that I have seen to date. Includes a drumming CD. Another book by the same author that focuses more on using shamanism specially for healing yourself and others is SPIRIT MEDICINE. This is also a great volume covering some good techniques and includes some inspiring stories.

Also recommend the SPIRITWALKER , MEDICINEMAKER , and VISIONSEEKER trilogy also by Hank Wesselman. These are books written about his experiences, but they are full of cool and useful information too. It recounts Hank's initiation into shamanism, his connecting journeys with his descendant 5,000 years into the future and the adventures that occur through that process. Funny, cause Hank Wesselman started out as a straight-edge science before he started having spontaneous shamanic experiences!

I have had the chance to work with both Serge Kahili King and Hank Wesselman in person, and have found them to both be very skilled and very much walking their talk in life. If you live in Hawai'i or are visiting the Big Island, you can go to free evening talks by Serge in the town of Vulcano. They both live on the Big Island these days...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:09 pm 

Hah, I have one, which is quite hard to catch. I saw in dream a book of finnish shamanism, by unknown author who in the dream were living about at 1980 countryside Finland. It told about personal connection to nature and spiritworld giving tools and tips or examples

It is good book I think, everything what is needed finds there, but reading it is not so easy... But that comes with everything. We actually have everything, but seeing it is the hard part.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism