Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Shaman's Seance
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:18 pm 

How many of you hold traditional shamanic seances? I've just finished reading Mircea Eliade's book Shamanism and am rather intrigued. Has anyone taken the Siberian seance as a model. I find it interesting how the shamans of old would inhale tobacco from their pipe and hiccups until they became delirius into an altered state of consciousness. Then they would jump up and down and speak seemingly incoherent things like bird calls and secret languages. They would use staff and swords to ward off evil spirits and speak to the audience about the auguries of the gods for the patient and the community. They would dance with their shamanic outfit jingling, because they had iron hooks and medals hanging from their garments made of animal hide. Eliade goes into depth about such seances and I was wondering how many of you have participated in such. Thanks in advance.

Yours in the struggle,
--Teopiltzin

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:18 am 

Yes, I have had some of these experiences but I do not call them seances ..

I have spoken in an alien language <to me> although while it's going on, it makes complete sense .. the only thing from your list above that I have never done is hiccup .. otherwise it is all familiar to things I either do or have done ..

Respect
Goldie...

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism