Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Searching for shamanic healer
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:48 am 

I have been searching for a shamanic healer and a teacher for 6 years. All I have been able to find are core shamans. These core shamans are not empowered and therefore unable to heal me or empower me as a shaman. I have been to at least 7 core shamans and they charge a lot of money but are unable to heal me. I am unemployed and cannot travel to the real shamans abroad. Does anybody know of any empowered shamans in the UK please?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:19 am 

What's a Core Shama in your eyes? I know , by reputation, one or two who were trained by Harner, who are in the UK and are (apparently) very good.
id you appraoch Simon Buxton? I heard some good things about him.

What do you mean with "empowered shamans"? I'm not criticising Barry, I'm just trying to understand the terminology in order to appropriately answer to your question. :)
I know a few Harner style Shamanic pract. here in France who are very powerfull. They look darn empowered to me.

If not try to look for a Siberian community in the UK. perhaps a Siberian/Mongolian (Buryat/Tuvan/Evenk) cultural center and approach them. Ask for a shaman. You might be lucky.

All the best :) and keep us updated!

Glasdraoi

Post subject: Thankyou for reply
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:14 am 

Hello Glasdraoi, Thank you for replying. Core shamans are those that attend workshops and yearlong courses and are not empowered by spirits. The patient has to intergrate any work they perform because they are not empowered and work with psychology. This is not just my opinion I have found this through experience. I have spoken to Simon Buxton on the phone and to be honest was not inpressed by him I do not believe he could heal me.
I have tried to find Siberian/Mongolian shaman but most do not like working long distance. You mention cultural centres have you any idea on how I would find a centre please?
I am not really criticising core shamans really it is very frustrating that they cannot heal me and I have been to at least 7. I have had this problem for about 40 years and would like to be rid of it. I have also been to conventional healers such as psychologists and hypnotherapists and other spiritual healers but none can heal me I think it will take an empowered shaman.
Thank you again for replying.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:53 pm 

Barry,
has it ever crossed your mind that you could take up shamanic practice and work to heal yourself?

if you can establish a clear connection to your own spirits and then with constant intent work towards your own healing you may accomplish for yourself what others have not.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:46 pm 

I'm sorry you can't find a healing Barry. I don't know Simon Buxton, some say he's good. Other's don't.

I know a lot of people who have been following workshops and courses and who are, by my experience (eyewitness), totally empowered by the spirits. I cannot prove it. You have to be there to see it.

I cannot give you any addresses of UK Siberian/Mongolian cultural centers. I'm in France.

Try the internet. Or call the Mongolian consulate/embassy for (for instance) Buryat cultural centers.

Good luck.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:13 am 

I can sort of see Barry's point - a few people I have met on my travels, seem to have have felt like shamanism is the thing they'd like to learn this year (last year it was macrame or reiki LOL) so they bought the workshops/year-long trainings etc, and think that's it, job done.

That is not the makings of a true shaman, IMHO - though it does usually improve the life of the individual, which can only be a good thing since we are all connected.

HOWEVER, consider this Barry :) - a person can get the call to walk the shamanic path direct from Spirit, as I did, as the indigenous shamans do, and almost inevitably in the UK, US etc that kind of training is going to be their first port of call.

They may then rest on those laurels, or they may enter deeper into study led by their own Spiritual guides & mentors.

In my own practice, I avoid using modern intellectual tools like psychology because I think that 99% of the time, the shaman needs to work with Spirit, because that is at the root of all things the person experiences.

That said, I'm sure many psychologists do great work in their own realm of the intellect & emotions etc, just as medical doctors do some good work in the physical realm - I simply happen to not be one of them :wink: nor do I attempt crossovers because IMO shamanism is strong enough to stand alone without needing "props" from other dsiciplines.

Finally, I would imagine in many societies, the shaman uses medical knowledge about herbs etc aquired from Spirit to perform physical healings for things where there is no better alternative, as well as being something of a community psychologist - so yes, the lines are never clear cut: a doctor with no understanding of psychology would probably be useless to his patients, a shamanic healer who tries to treat a broken limb with chanting would be a bit stupid... the lines are not set in stone.

Interesting debate!

Oh, and I've just joined, so Hi everyone! :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:51 pm 

hi Nova!!

good post!

Post subject: Hi Nova
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:54 am 

Nova, you are very right. I find most shamanic practitioners are just jacks of all trades, they add shamanism to the other healing disciplines they do such as reiki etc. How they manage to learn all this I will never know.
I was looking for a shaman to heal me but now I am searching for a teacher. I eventually did find a Mongolian shaman who said the problems I am having is that I have been called to be a shaman. She said not to go on courses and workshops but to find an empowered shaman to take me on as a student. I cannot find any empowered shamans, I do not know if you yourself are empowered. You may be as you said you were called directly by spirit. I have tried to work directly with spirit but that does not work for me. I have spirit animals and gods appear in dreams and talk to me but I cannot make any direct contact with them. I obviously need a teacher. Crowfuzz said a teacher will turn up when I am ready for one, but that is not the case. The church removed most of our empowered shamans, there is certainly some there (I cannot be the only one called) but they are hard to find. I will have to keep searching.

Post subject: Re: Hi Nova
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:15 pm 

barry wrote:
Crowfuzz said a teacher will turn up when I am ready for one, but that is not the case.

actually, that's not at all what i said!

what i said to you when you wrote to me that you'd not been able to find a teacher (which was in a private mail exchange and so not on this board was);

"well, New Agers would say that you are not ready for a teacher yet. my reply is that many of those who frequent forums like this one who have and could teach are tired of teaching and have become very careful of stepping into that area.

"perhaps if you are able you should take a Harner or Ingerman workshop. you might be surprised at where that will lead you. workshops are not something that i've done myself, but my spirits think that you should consider it."

so what my spirits asked me to pass on to you and what the Mongolian shaman that you found advised you to do differs. however, since you misremembered what i said, even to the point of posting it here, you might consider that this distortion of memory is a way of blocking yourself.

Post subject: Re: Hi Nova
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:49 pm 

crowfuzz wrote:
"perhaps if you are able you should take a Harner or Ingerman workshop. you might be surprised at where that will lead you. workshops are not something that i've done myself, but my spirits think that you should consider it."

so what my spirits asked me to pass on to you and what the Mongolian shaman that you found advised you to do differs.

I haven't journeyed deeply on your post Barry yet, as I'm in the middle of some serious stuff for myself & my ancestral line that I confess is taking up a lot of my attention.

I really hope I'm not out of line by mentioning, I am hosting - free, and no "donation" required, or accepted - meetings in n.London (Zone 4, N.Line) based on the Medicine for the Earth teachings passed directly on to me by Sandra I at one of her 5-day residential gatherings in Dorset, 2003, and you can find more about it by viewing my profile & then my webpage/blog.

If I've breached any anti-spam laws on here posting this, I'm sorry and please delete my post! :oops:

That aside, Barry, I cannot claim to be one thing or another in the face of the storm of expectation & disappointment you seem to be in re shamans etc, I'm just me, and as Crowfuzz said I'm not only careful of stepping into that arena, but also, I would expect any pupil to surpasss their teacher, and I'm not ready to sit in that wise autumn place, of feeding the new life with my own bloods just yet - I have only just recovered my own power in this lifetime these last 10 years or so.

That may sound a bit rubbish, I'm just being honest. :)

That place may come to me in 10 or 30 year's time, whatever... :wink:

I have read Crowfuzz's post and your own, and I'm aware I may be placing myself to be involved with any blocking or other obstructive processes you have going on, and to play the role of the "next big let-down" in your personal play.... :wink:

However, you mentioned you live in London, I serve the highest good of this city (yeeesh, that sounds SO pretentious! LOL) and if you're game to try me out, I'm game to pass on the MFTE stuff, and chat with you about it if you want.

However I'm not claiming to be, or willing to be, your "teacher" or anything else at all - see me as a hollow bone for one specific kind of teaching, and "co-incidentally" LOL one that Crowfuzz has spotted for ya, and we're good to go from there - if you want? :wink:

Post subject: Hello
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:33 am 

Hi Nova + Crowfuzz,
Sorry took time in answering as I was thinking over what you both were saying. Crowfuzz is right I should start courses and workshops in core shamanism. Crowfuzz, you said that the advice you gave me and what the Mongolian shaman gave me are different. Not really, you said core shamanism workshops and courses and the Mongolian said find an empowered teacher, actually, you are both saying the same thing: practice shamanism. I suppose the way does not matter as long as I start practicing.
Nova, I am interested in what you was saying about MFTE. I have visited your website and read what you have to say about it. I am still not quite sure what this involves, please could you explain more on what takes place on your MFTE meetings?
Thanks very much too both of you for taking time to offer advice.

Post subject: Re: Hello
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:59 am 

barry wrote:
Nova, I am interested in what you was saying about MFTE. I have visited your website and read what you have to say about it. I am still not quite sure what this involves, please could you explain more on what takes place on your MFTE meetings?
Hi Barry,

I'll write a bit more about it in a couple of days, but in the meantime do check out the links in that post to Sandra's site, which should give you an idea of the basics. :)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:11 am 

barry wrote:
Hi Nova + Crowfuzz,...(snip)..., you said core shamanism workshops and courses and the Mongolian said find an empowered teacher, actually, you are both saying the same thing: practice shamanism. I suppose the way does not matter as long as I start practicing.

Sorry to jump in Barry, you were addressing others... but I would like to say that I have bumped into a lot of people who could be considered to be Core Shamanic Practitioners and who are 'empowered' at the same time. So the two elements do go together.

Sandra Ingerman is one of those people in my opinion. I've met her twice, for Medicine for the Earth and Soul Retrieval trainings and she is as empowered as I ever have met anyone. Looking for a MftE session seems a great idea!

I think it may be a very good idea to try to find a core-shamanic teacher (or cross-cultural shamanic teacher, as I've heard Sandra call it) and ask to be taught. There's nothing like taking matters in your own hands and getting in charge of your own fate.

peace, I hope you find your path

Glasdraoi (Willem Hartman)

ps; please check your private mail on this board :D

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:42 am 

glasdraoi wrote:
I would like to say that I have bumped into a lot of people who could be considered to be Core Shamanic Practitioners and who are 'empowered' at the same time. So the two elements do go together.

i agree. i don't think that the one precludes the other.

barry wrote:
Thanks very much too both of you for taking time to offer advice.

you're welcome. i hope that it all works out for you.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:45 pm 

Hey Barry...I have been working with the Ulchi shamans of Southeastern Siberia for over 15 years, ( see issue 53 of Shaman's Drum magazine).
When they come to the U.S. and do their healing work they always prescribe
specific things a client must do after a healing session. What was your follow up like with the folks that worked with you. Did they stay in touch with you?

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism