Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Running away? Or just the adventure needed?
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:43 pm 

Hello ShamanPortal! I'm 20, from Northern US. My shamanic calling became apparent about a year and a half ago, and I have been initiating and journeying, the former sometimes with entheogenics. I have noticed I have more than one lifetime's worth of talent, or call it strong relationships in working with such things, including Hoffman's little accident. I would like to be a shaman one day, but feel I'm too distracted here too get the unfiltered direct experience.

Now Spirit and I have a wonderful relationship I work to further every day, and It is very present in my life, showing up in synchronicities, messages, and curiously aligned circumstances. Lately my life has been accumulating debts and reasons to leave, all the while learning a ton and giving away all that I have to give, I.e. guided psychedelic excursions, and working on expecting nothing in return. Spirit has been throwing me long term clues for months now that I'm meant to go to Peru and find an indigenous shaman under whom I would like to apprentice, and for a long time I've wanted to just pick up and go! Now circumstances seem dire and only escapable through the help of the wonderful parents I've been mooching (gratefully) off of, but it's a lot to ask and this seems a neverending cycle I want to surely break by immersing myself in a more spiritual culture. I would need a passport to get to Peru, but I toy with the idea of going to the Sonorran (sp?) desert to find the Bufo Alvarius toad, but regardless the idea of just up and leaving the house I've been living in this year.

My question for those of you who would care to share your views, is whether vanishing now while I still can would be running away from my karmic debts, or is it all meant to push me somewhere? (specifically south haha)

Thanks all!
Namaste

On a side note, through my experiences I've attained states of Samadhi and what I am wondering if I could label as mystic or ancestral knowledge, though perhaps it is merely a well of direct experiences. This lately, pervading my sober life, has given me the feeling as if I Do, in fact, have some validity or knowledge to speak from as a practicing? shaman. Is this unrealistic? And if not, HOW does one begin working for the community?

Post subject: Re: Running away? Or just the adventure needed?
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:46 pm 

Also, any ideas on where and to whom I could go in Peru or anywhere that fits for the experiences I'm looking for? Please do me the favor or voicing your perspective.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:15 pm 

Teachers tend to find us but often we have to be in the right place.

Perhaps this is a case of everyone being different. Personally I don't believe in leaving debts or walking away from them. If you feel compelled to travel in order to learn that's fine but can you earn your way there instead of taking the easy option of 'mooching'? Perhaps the journey which is earned may be part of the first steps in learning?

I don't know you or your life but a few things in what you say suggest that taking the easy route is what you are used to. Entheogens, debt and mooching of parents. Choosing the hard path, learning to journey without drugs, living without debt and earning your way (saving up) towards what you want may take time, effort and stamina but that is exactly what any good teacher will demand of you.

I don't know anyone in Peru so can't help you there but there are dozens of organised trips to Peru by shamanic folk and I'm sure you will be able to find a place on one of those.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:52 pm 

Thank you, you bring a grounding viewpoint. Part of me agrees and knows you can't really run away from anything as it is all Awakened energy, but the fact remains that my circumstances are a problem solvable only in asking and 'mooching' for a few thousand dollars, not to mention the looming tickets and the possession of thc charge.

It just doesn't even seem realistic to want to fight that debt working a shitty minimum wage job, when I know I have so much I want to do in the world that I can start anytime I like if I would give up living according to everyone else's demands and take my life into my own hands.

Normally I would agree that I must sit and face what has arisen...but that hasn't just arisen but imprisoned.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:52 am 

As I say, this is only my viewpoint and doesn't reflect your life. If borrowing the money and agreeing firm terms to pay back so much per week/month is possible then that may be a way forward for you. Taking an extra job if you can or basically doing everything you can to honour the debt while keeping your goal in clear focus will give you a life experience to draw from and help others with further down the line.

Sometimes debts, even if they don't seem realistic are still debts and they offer us a chance to take control, recognise our own sense of honour and integrity or to ignore, run away or take the easiest route. Rarely is it that clear cut but you will know what is right whether it is easy or difficult.

Your Spirits are the best ones to guide you in this, what do they indicate?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:04 pm 

Well Spirit has been preparing me for this journey quite awhile, I'm being guided to a cash job delivering by bicycle and am making some decent travel money. Also received an eviction notice today for late rent. I'm left with little choice in the matter, which is fine, I'm learning tai chi before I go and doing a lot of cross training. Spirit is ready to go with me, and he really wants to get to Peru somehow...but he's content just to start off in a direction.

I regret escaping the debts and fines but besides being out of options, I've been trying to get out of this town full of talkers and start Doing for over a year now anyways.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:29 am 

Well by now I've made up my mind, a psychic I met once gave me the number of a shaman living here in WI who was trained in Peru, so I might start my journey there. For now I've got two interviews in a few hours so hopefully I can make some travel money before I go.

I also decided to revamp my old blog, over the next week I'm turning it into a way for me to log my journey and for others to follow, eventually there will be events/opportunities to help support some awesome causes. :)

I've always wanted to go couch surfing, I hear the waves are gnarly.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:14 am 

Sounds like a plan. :)

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism