Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Recovery from schizophrenia and shamanism
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:54 pm 

I'm a 29 year old male diagnosed with schizophrenia. My interest is in healing my consciousness and grounding my primal energy. I'm asking for advice about what it takes to start the process of recovering from schizophrenia and becoming a shaman.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:12 pm 

It is sad that our society views schizophrenia as a disease that cannot be cured without drugs. I too have the diagnosis and found my way here a few days ago. I am also looking for a teacher or direction. Here is a couple of videos that made me feel a little better about the situation I am in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEglHjd_ ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c8an2XZ3MU

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:14 pm 

Greetings to both of you and welcome,

This is a very delicate topic. I ask my spirits to be with me as I write.

First, let me draw the greatest possible and most obvious distinction between shamanism and schizophrenia. A shamanic practitioner is always in control of the voices in his head. Always. All ways. I am 59; there have always been voices in my head. Even as a very young person, I could always distinguish between the ones to listen to and the ones to ignore. Some give great advice; some give truly awful advice. I have never spoken to doctor about them. I have never taken meds to control them. In fact, I never spoke to anyone - not even my wife of many many years - about them until shamanism came into my life some years ago. My "public persona" is in fact quite average dull.

Obviously someone with a diagnosis of schizophrenia has had far more difficulty with the voices than I have had. In fact, it would seem very likely that the voices were out of control, and hence the need for the diagnosis - and no doubt the meds to control them.

Terrence McKenna has some very interesting ideas. I have enjoyed reading and listening to his stuff. Nevertheless, I think he is doing both sides a great dis-service by equating schizophrenia and a shamanic practice.

I have come in contact with three diagnosed cases of schizophrenia and one current case of a young man in whom it may be developing.

First. a dear friend's son is schizophrenic. I have known him most of his life. He is profoundly ill. He is very very marginal and far beyond shamanic help. His parents are very loving caring people who have done everything in their power to help their only child deal with this profound disability. The situation deeply saddens everyone who knows them.

Second, someone brought a severely schizophrenic woman to me for help. The woman herself asked me to stop the shamanic work saying that she would be too lonely without the voices. She chatted audibly with them at length most of the time. I stopped doing the work for her.

In another case, a woman's family brought her. I was able to help to some extent, but the woman was also powerfully motivated to regain control of her life because she wanted to be part of her children's lives...and if she couldn't regain some control, it was clear she would be excluded from contact with them.

With the current case, a young man of 20, I hope and pray that he will gain control over the voices with my help and the help of other shamanic friends. The outcome at this time isn't clear. Frankly, it depends on the strength of young man himself.

From a different angle, a small tribal group may have been able to incorporate and work with someone who has an inability to control the voices. Living in a small group all the time, they knew everything all the time about each other, 24/7. Society is obviously no longer structured this way. The social-control mechanisms of a small tribal group are simply not available to us today. This is both good and bad. To the extent that those mechanisms were kind and caring, it is a pity that they are no longer there. To the extent that they were brutal - and they often were - it is better that they are gone.

So, what would I say to you? First, don't go off your meds. Really truly don't go off your meds. Please, please don't go off your meds. Second, know that you are not alone in hearing voices. Third, know that it may be possible to gain control over them to some extent (1) if you are profoundly enough motivated to do it, (2) if they are not too overwhelming, and (3) if you can find someone in your local area to help you learn to do it, someone who will be willing to commit a large amount of time and energy to helping you.

Please note that I am sharing only my own experience here with you. These are not definitive answers. Others may well have other experiences - and other responses. Like you, I would be very interested to read them.

May both of you be blessed with nuturing voices that lead you to places of healing on every level.

Chris

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:32 am 

In my case I don't have to many problems with voices, I can control them. My problems may have to do with spirits following me around. This sounds crazy I know but it is the main reason I came to this site to find out if "it" or "they" can be controlled and how to do it.
Thanks for your post.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:02 pm 

I've discovered that my disease allows me to easily move within time and space. I want to use shamanic training to help me work with my disease rather than live in crippling fear of it. I would much prefer one on one training. My symptoms are fully controlled by a low dosage of medication. I have never been an aggressive or dangerous person. The disease still affects me on a psychic level which is beyond the reach of medication.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:53 pm 

Greetings again,

First, mikejackering - I looked up Wauzeka in my atlas. I note it is not too far from Madison. There's is a shamanic community in Madison - that, I know. There is/was? a fairly high-profile man in Madison who does the work. With his impressive academic credentials and very solid shamanic record, he even managed to get shamanic work included on the list of treatments that the state of Wisonsin will pay for under certain circumstances. I haven't read anything about him for a few years now - so, maybe something has changed in his world.

There is also a woman who does shamanic work in the Cedar Falls/Watterloo, Iowa area which looks to be about the same distance from you. I don't know anythng about her.

I am currently working with a woman who seems to have the same problem as you. Chances are good that you can find someone to help you with it. The solution may not be the one you might want, ie making them/it go away. You might just have to learn to deal with them in ways that are healthy and healing for both you and them. - and learn to live with them around. Or maybe, someone can make them go away permanently. It depends on many circumstances.

eagle carrion - I'm really glad to read that your symptoms are fully controlled by medication. In the hands of a skilled shamanic practitioner, you might become less crippled by your fear and more able to deal with the disease. It sounds to me like your expectations are quite reasonable. You'll have to scour the internet and print resources in your area to see if you can find someone.

A few words about "healing". Healing does not necessarily mean making a condition disappear. It may mean helping someone to live more comfortably with it.

Finally, a word or two about finding someone. Word of mouth - recommendations from people who have worked with the practitioner - is probably the best way to find someone. Without recommendations, be very prudent. Poor shamanic work can truly make things much worse. If you can't get any recommendations, be sure you feel very comfortable with the person whom you allow to work on you BEFORE you allow them to do anything.

Again, may your nuturing spirits guide you to the help you are seeking.

Chris

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:05 pm 

Chris, you give wise council. Thank you for your voice.

Post subject: A Personal Experience of making this Journey!
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:55 am 

I have trodden this path myself and worked with others since. I tried many approaches and suffered from "self-attacking" inner voices [and a very terrifying episode of "possession syndrome"] for a few years after experiencing post-traumatic stress disorder. Medication damped things down [suppressed the symptoms].

Psychotherapy & CBT taught me lots of great lifeskills and also had a damping down effect, but did not heal me. Eventually what really cut it for me was finding a group of healers who facilitated "cathartic release" exercises [equivalent to expelling inner demons in traditional shamanism]. The problem was that seeds of self-hatred were planted in my childhood and when my life turned to sh*t these seeds were watered and grew into "inner demons".

First step was to de-energise these self-destructive inner forces via experienced-supported [we need a really safe and protected space to totally "let go" and release these destructive energies which are normally repressed or denied by our childhood training] catharsis work.

Research shows that catharsis does not usually have sustainable benefits, this is because the repressed energies will rebuild. The key is the brief "window of opportunity" immediately after catharsis when there is a momentary glimpse into the underlying [often childhood] wound [memory] where the whole pattern was set up. Unconditional [and agenda/control-free] TLC must be given in this brief period before the client's energy structure and defences are rebuilt [which happens within minutes].

I run workshops now where I provide these opportunities for others [and train healers in how to use them] see http://www.lovehealth.org/tools/catharsis.htm and http://www.sunflower-health.com/courses/anger.htm

Putting a lot of "psychic invasion" or demonic interpretations on these symptoms can make the problem worse. Trying to control or fight the voices just gives them more energy.
Even "extraction techniques" can be harmful! These energy patterns, driven by held-in emotions come from our ape ancestors and they need to be tamed, transformed [they have a very self-supportive, self-actualising potential, once the wound is healed] and integrated into the personality. To "extract" them is to further alienate us from a [distressed and distorted] aspect of our own wholeness!

In Entering the Circle: The Secrets of Ancient Siberian Wisdom Discovered by a Russian Psychiatrist Olga Kharitidi gives a real-life account of this catharsis approach being used by a Siberian shaman on Olga's companion. This lady's bottled-up inner rage and frustration was released via tying her up and taunting her until she "exploded" - fortunately we don't need to use such extreme methods! - I work in a way that the client is always in control, even [paradoxically] when choosing to let go control [of these distressed inner energies].

Hope this helps!

Good luck

Mike

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:07 am 

GOOD! This was the answer I was seeking in other thread about schitzopheria. To find a person, who has experience, who has already walked the path even better.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:29 pm 

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1968. Fortunately, it kept me out of Viet Nam. Like many diseases they give it a name that pacifies many, even though it still far from being totally understood. I can only share my experience and realizations about it. I was hospitalized for about six weeks and loaded up with pills. I don’t think of it as a time of being ill. For me it was a spiritual awakening – and an other name that possibly applies could be a Shamanic death. It took me 3 days to come to the realization that I was in a psychiatric hospital. I thought I had died. I thought I was in some form of spirit world and the other patients were in the same boat. Voices in my head? Yes, indeed. Paranoia, self doubt, depression, mixed with elation, bliss, joy, a manic high. I could experience all these in the same day.

There have been other times in my life where I would have been hospitalized, but I learned to keep my mouth shut. The voices come and go but I have learned to cope. I don’t think it is possible to control them and I have stopped trying. But I changed my attitude about them. I can listen or ignore them. I have also learned to not take my own mind seriously. If I have a negative thought, I don’t punish myself for it or hang on to the thought. I don’t let it spiral me into a negative space.

It took me 50 years to learn to meditate and it has been the best thing that I could do for my self; that and connecting with nature at a deep level. I no longer view it as an illness. I view it as having many channels open. I can now talk to a tree, a waterfall, an animal or insect. I have had conversations with people that have passed on including my own father.

Schizophrenia can be a nightmare. But don’t let it. Allow it to be a blessing.

All my relations, Glenn

Post subject: Re: Recovery from schizophrenia and shamanism
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:58 am 

I began training myself in shamanism when i was 16. then at 18 i was diagnosed with shizophrenia. I felt invisible entities attacking me and was going crazy. they would tell me stuff like my pop was a vampire (and i was even believing some of it) and basically be psychically torturing me. I didnt really at all understand what was happening to me because at the time all the research on shamanism i had done was all like the carlos castaneda books. I got treatment through a mental facility which semi worked. I had also began watching many sermons on christianity because a nice voice had told me the things attacking me were demons. But i never was able to really control it. After a few years i grew tired of being christian saying if christianity was real or if heaven cared about me they would take the suffering away. A few days later i was introduced to (part way in the spirit world) the fact that there were other religions existing other than christianity, it made sense with some of the thing's i had been seeing i thought. It was explained to me that the world was created the way science had thought and that at some point the spirit world had come into existance. I ended up joining a group of heavens called "the martial arts heavens" made up of like minded religions who loved the martial arts and hated wrongs. A little while later i was able to fight back against the things attacking me. But anyways if you pick up some psychic self defense books i think (obviously not all of it(because everyone is different, and it depends on the techniques and magics used) youll probably be able to teach yourself some stuff that will work for you. Though i would as you were planning definately find a professional.

Post subject: Re: Recovery from schizophrenia and shamanism
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:37 pm 

great vids mike........thanks for posting them ......love his talks they jive with me well......

Post subject: #category shamanportal.org
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:38 pm 

Quote:
I've discovered that my disease allows me to easily move within time and space. I want to use shamanic training to help me work with my disease rather than live in crippling fear of it. I would much prefer one on one training. My symptoms are fully controlled by a low dosage of medication. I have never been an aggressive or dangerous person. The disease still affects me on a psychic level which is beyond the reach of medication.

wow, this was priceless

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism