Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Power Songs
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:34 pm 

How many of you use power songs in your practice? If you do, what is your power song. What do you use it for and when. Do you use it to invoke your helping spirits. How do you know if the power song works properly or not. Just a few questions I have. Thanks in advance.

Yours in the struggle,
--Teopiltzin

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:25 pm 

I do use power songs. Mine are personal to me, given by the spirits years ago. They can vary in how they sound each time, but have recognizable elements that remain constant. I use them for connecting to spirit, filling with power, healing work, magickal work, etc. I sometimes use them to invoke helping spirits, but not always or even often. I know that the power song is working properly because I get tangible results-more power, healing, magick, etc.!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:34 pm 

Yes I do too and my healing ones are also personal to me. One or two are shared but most often they come spontaneously with or without understandable words.

All come from Spirit.

Post subject: Re: Power Songs
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:11 pm 

teopiltzin wrote:
How many of you use power songs in your practice? If you do, what is your power song. What do you use it for and when. Do you use it to invoke your helping spirits. How do you know if the power song works properly or not. Just a few questions I have. Thanks in advance.

Yours in the struggle,
--Teopiltzin

I am "spellsinger" - that means that I am using the power of my voice and music to alter reality, always when shamanizing and sometimes for the pure lust of enjoying the music itself. For the purpose of invocation I do not use music but my dancing-costume.

In siberian terminology I am a xoomejkh, I am using throatsinging techniques which I either learned by hard training or being taught by the spirits (kargyraa I learned from my spirits, besides several other special techniques, like horekteer or the "humming").

I know that my magic worked by checking the feedback of the client, to name one way of checking.

Yours,

Apu Kuntur

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:44 am 

I use many "power songs" or cantos/icaros. There are many different forms... those with verbal elements, those without, those in a recognizable language, those in tongues. There are also the ones that erupt spontianiously and perhaps are never sung again and those that become stronger with each singing.

Here are a couple from the family of Maria Sabina. They don't mind sharing them but I will include the credit anyways...

This is one of the most famous cantos of Maria Sabina. Maria Sabina is among the most famous traditional healers (Curendera) ever to have lived. She lived in the pueblo of Hualta, Mexico. She was the first known healer to open the traditional Mazatca healing ceremonies to outsiders. Her sharing of these ceremonies with researchers such as George Wasson radically transformed western society in a very short period of time, arguably sparking the psychedelic revolution of the 60s along with the sprirtual, human rights and ecological movements that operated in tandem with it. For many years she was shunned by her own people for sharing their culture. She maintained it was necessary for human evolution. She has since achieved saint like status in Mexico.

The traditional consciousness transformation practices of the Mayan people are extremely profound!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soy la mujer piedra de sol
Soy la mujer luz de dia

Soy la mujer que hace girar
Soy la mujer del cielo

Soy la mujer de bien
Soy la mujer de pura

Soy la mujer espiritu
Porque puedo entrar y puedo salir en el reino de la muerte.

Another well known cantos which expresses the experience of Maria during her healing ceremonies...

Because I can swim in the immense
Because I can swim in all forms
Because I am the launch woman
Because I am the sacred opossum
Because I am the Lord opossum

I am the woman book that is beneath the water, says
I am the woman of the populous town, says
I am the shepherdess who is beneath the water, says
I am the woman who shepherds the immense, says
I am a shepherdess and I come with my shepherd, says

Because everything has its origin
And I come going from place to place from the origin...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:20 pm 

I sing all the time, our make "music". Nothing special, all songs are power songs. What ever you enjoy.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:30 pm 

Nice....

Of course this is true too... I mean... our every thought, word and deed contains power. I think there are some differences... certain icaros are given by outside entities, certain ones have specific intentions... but yeah, the best place to start is that everything you do matters...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:43 am 

Wanderingadept wrote:
Nice....

Of course this is true too... I mean... our every thought, word and deed contains power. I think there are some differences... certain icaros are given by outside entities, certain ones have specific intentions... but yeah, the best place to start is that everything you do matters...

I get lost in dance. My short cut to that state of Ecstasy.

Post subject: power songs
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:56 pm 

Greetings All,
I am new to this community and am enjoying the lively topics discussed here.
I, too, use power songs. I have a few that I use as honouring songs or to bring on the trance state, while others are spontaneous and fleeting, used in the moment; for a specific purpose or person. And while I use my drum specifically to journey, I do use Native American flutes to do energy work with folks. Vibrations created when you sing or play an instrument, changes the way energy moves. I have seen it help re-align the subtle energies that work in conjunction with the energy moved through the synapses to bring forth a state of wellbeing. Then the real healing can begin.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:04 pm 

..greetings
each song opens diffrent possibilities.I like to ride energy with special songs. Sometimes it is the song that wants to be sung, popping on my lips even if I plan on singing a different one.
Does anyone knows a good source for buying leather for making drums?
Thank you..

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:20 am 

Hi, Oak,
if you are looking to make drums, ensure that you are buying "rawhide" and not leather. Leather has been tanned and will not tighten up when it dries the way rawhide does.
I am not sure where you live, but I am very fortunate to know hunters who are able to supply me with deer hides. You might be able to access this kind of resource, as well.
Creating a drum can be one of the most Spiritual experiences in which one can participate. Every part of my drum making is a metaphor for life.
Do you engage in any kind of gratitude ritual before you begin? I find this truly helps me remain mindful of exactly what I am doing, considering that using "fresh" hides means that the first, and often the most difficult, part of my drum making includes removing the hair from that hide.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:29 pm 

Hello Tanau,
thank you, your answer is of inspiration, I tried once removing the hair of a deerskin by shaving but didn't do a good job. How do you do it? A relative hunts around here in Florence so I may try again, but it's quite a job to clean it.
I'd buy few good skins if reasonable. And the frame I have to figure yet.
Yes, the right intent and attitude makes it in a ceremony, to connect with the heartbeats of our Mother Earth, to walk in beauty..

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:23 pm 

Greetings, Oak,
I find the best way to take the hair from a hide is the most difficult way... by pulling it out by hand! It can be quite a daunting task. Sometimes it helps if the hide has been frozen then thawed. I find, too, that if I grasp the hair as close to the hide as possible that it helps.
I find the whole process is also an amazing journey into how I view myself, at that moment in time; how I move against the obstacles in my life and how I gain patience and persistence in my life!
As for the frames.... I have attempted to make round frames but I do not have the equipment to do this well. So, being the Celtic Shaman I am, I realized that perhaps my drums needed to reflect the eight sacred turnings of the Wheel of the Year, and I make mine octagonal! I use 2.5cm by about 15cm (approx. 1" by 6") cedar fence boards. I get the lumber yard to rip them in half, lengthwise (so one fence board actually makes two drum frames), then I cut each length into eight pieces using a mitre saw set at a 22.5 degree angle. Using wood glue, I put two small pieces together at a time, then I put a large industrial staple over each joint, on both sides to hold the pieces together. Whew!
Sounds like a lot of work, I know, but once you have done it a couple of times it becomes much easier.
I hope this helps. If you would like to see a picture of one of my drums I have a web site at www.souljourneyshaman.com.
Let me know if I can be of any further assistance. The more drummers we have in this world the better able we will be to carry the Mothers Heartbeat to those wishing to feel it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:48 pm 

Hello Tanau,
would rolling the hairside with woodashes for few days help dislodge the hair?
I tried it once with mixed results.
I plan to loop and glue several layers of thin wood for the frame.
But first I should better balance time in my life to do these projects. You are right, if what we do is in ceremony, it become teachings at multiple levels, through sacred inspiration, and allinement.
Following the lazy road I just ordered 4 handheld drums from U.S. for my friends here in Italy, 13" and 16", deer and buffalo.
If you ever come this way let me know..
I've seen your site and must say it is very pleasing and well done, a journey in itself. The labirynth is a powerful tool, thank you for sharing..

www.infinityfirenze.com

Post subject: power songs come when they come...
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:11 am 

power songs come for me when i work and connect with my drum(s)... or when i'm offering a shamanic healing session...

being also a singer-songwriter, the songs i "write" are very different from the songs that come through spirit and the spirits...

a power song once came to me while in the tub... and it was very powerful...

it's also been a very interesting experience to record a power song too... found it very wild during the process....... and also very deep and meaningful...

weaver (((o))

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism