Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Phasing in and out of ordinary reality
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:58 pm 

For the past three years I've been abruptly and without cause or known stimulus phasing out of ordinary reality into waking trance states. I practice shamanism outside of these instances, however I had not thought to look on the internet for a forum of shamans until this past week, thinking all I would find would be New Age Hippies with no serious devotion or knowledge. I have joyously found myself surprised. So my question is, why might this be happening? These trances are usually surprising and welcome, but I've already been involved in one accident and because of this I do not drive. I appeal to you my brothers and sisters for help in uncovering the truth.

Loraintrine

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:29 am 

I know that sometimes one can 'drift' across the place because we're not paying attention. To avoid being a bother to the various inhabitants of thisworld or otherworld, it's best to practice reinforcing your state of being in THIS world, when it starts to happen. Otherworld WILL test you, and try you, and if you let it yank you all over the place whenever it pulls, then you're not showing that you're in command of your own abilities.

Remember, we work in unity with Otherworld, hand in hand... neither we nor it/they are greater or more significant. A shaman who can't manage themselves in both this world, and the other, isn't much use to either. If you find yourself 'drifting' or being tugged, at an inappropriate time, it's entirely ok (indeed, sometimes its the "right" answer to give, when the trickster types are having their way with you!) to say "No thank you, not right now." You can then finish whatever you're doing, find the time and space to settle yourself between worlds, and do whatever needs doing.

As my teacher likes to say, Otherworld delights in sending shamans out for tins of 'striped paint' - just to see if you're going to go looking!!!

Post subject: Re: Phasing in and out of ordinary reality
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:26 pm 

[quote="Loraintrine"]For the past three years I've been abruptly and without cause or known stimulus phasing out of ordinary reality into waking trance states. I practice shamanism outside of these instances, however I had not thought to look on the internet for a forum of shamans until this past week, thinking all I would find would be New Age Hippies with no serious devotion or knowledge. I have joyously found myself surprised. So my question is, why might this be happening? These trances are usually surprising and welcome, but I've already been involved in one accident and because of this I do not drive. I appeal to you my brothers and sisters for help in uncovering the truth.

Loraintrine[/quote]

Peace be upon all.
How do you know, when you enter those states, what states they actually are? That, is one of the first questions I would ask.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:44 pm 

The 19th Malak AlGennah wrote:
Peace be upon all.
How do you know, when you enter those states, what states they actually are? That, is one of the first questions I would ask.

When you begin practicing, you will have a heightened sense of awareness. These things will not be difficult to detect and one can discern the difference between ordinary and non-ordinary reality quite easily. Slipping into and out of each reality can actually be quite dangerous while engaged in normal activities. It is important to practice self-control exercises if these occurrences happen to you normally. If this does happen, it is a cause of loss of focus. When you have lost focus, ordinary realities stimuli will fade and you will find yourself "drifting" as they say.
Peace, walkthepath

Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:53 am 

Loraintrine wrote:
For the past three years I've been abruptly and without cause or known stimulus phasing out of ordinary reality into waking trance states. I practice shamanism outside of these instances, however I had not thought to look on the internet for a forum of shamans until this past week, thinking all I would find would be New Age Hippies with no serious devotion or knowledge. I have joyously found myself surprised. So my question is, why might this be happening? These trances are usually surprising and welcome, but I've already been involved in one accident and because of this I do not drive. I appeal to you my brothers and sisters for help in uncovering the truth.

Loraintrine

Look up dissociation and derealisation

Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:03 pm 

[quote="walkthepath"][quote="The 19th Malak AlGennah"]
Peace be upon all.
How do you know, when you enter those states, what states they actually are? That, is one of the first questions I would ask.[/quote]

When you begin practicing, you will have a heightened sense of awareness. These things will not be difficult to detect and one can discern the difference between ordinary and non-ordinary reality quite easily. Slipping into and out of each reality can actually be quite dangerous while engaged in normal activities. It is important to practice self-control exercises if these occurrences happen to you normally. If this does happen, it is a cause of loss of focus. When you have lost focus, ordinary realities stimuli will fade and you will find yourself "drifting" as they say.
Peace, walkthepath[/quote]

Peace be upon all.
Thank you, Walkthepath.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:25 am 

Ask your guides. This seems to be something important you need to work on. Do you have trouble focusing in general? Is there anything related about these instances? Is this self-created karma to work through the guilt of something?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:45 am 

Ask your guides about spirit possession.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:38 am 

What comes to mind is boundries. Besure to reinforce your space, invite only compassionate spirits to be with today. Ask your peaple to walk closely with you all day. If all else fails journey to your spirit guides and find out what's up, and work with them. Good luck, Tom.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:26 am 

Spontaneous trance is a well known and long understood way in which the Spirits make contact with a shaman to be. Unlike all in a community who can journey or experience a group trance, the Shaman takes on a more intense spiritual role and is often called by means of spontaneous trance states where one image (perhaps from the past) is overlaid on top of the 'real' world view.

Guidance from your Spirits and from another medicine person will help to unravel what is being asked of you Loraintrine.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:02 pm 

Different spiritual people do what they do in different ways! stop putting every "Shaman" in the same box. not everone has to go into a trance to do what they do. :D

Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:34 pm 

SonOfCoyote wrote:
Different spiritual people do what they do in different ways! stop putting every "Shaman" in the same box. not everone has to go into a trance to do what they do. :D

Exactly - there are lots of different spiritual healers, elders and ceremonialists who may not go into trance to work, however, one of the major definitions of a 'shamanic practitioner' is that the spirits work through them and to do that they need to be able to work in a state of non-ordinary reality (trance).

It is a fairly well defined box which distinguishes the shaman from other forms of spiritual and ceremonial pursuit.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:29 pm 

I've had a similar struggle, if you can call it that, of drifting in and out of trance states at somewhat inopportune times. I'm not sure how well I deal with, but it is kind of a two part thing--when I start to drift, I call myself back by focusing on more physical things, like clenching my fists, stomping my feet, and if no one was around, shouting to the spirits that I need to be in this world at this moment, and that I would speak to them later. Finding my voice is actually a particularly helpful thing to bring me back

The second part, of course, is that I needed to speak to them later. Whenever I start to drift, it's kind of an indication that something needs to be dealt with in the other world, so I need to make time to take care of it. Once I have the time, and I'm in a safe place, I allow the trance to happen, and for the message(s) to be communicated.

As I mentioned, it has happened at various times, but it fades. I suspect it has a great deal to do with what's going on in my life, but it also seems to vary by season and time of day. If you have animal guides, check which seasons or times of day are their strong periods...if there are times when you have a stronger connection to the spirit world, that may be time better spent communicating with the spirit world, rather that trying to things in this world, like driving.

Hope that was helpful, and good luck in your journey.

Post subject: ---
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:33 pm 

It is good idea. It is ready to support you.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism