Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Orisha
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:26 am 

I found this link whilst researching gourd instruments

http://www.wemba-music.org/orisha.htm

I find it interesting how so many 'religions' share the same sort of concepts of spirituality such as one god/higherpower and angels/guardian spirits with many of the same philosophies and moral beliefs etc. etc. only the language/names/culture are different.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:08 pm 

It is interesting. It is also interesting, that while there are so many that do, there are also spiritual practices and religions that don't have a spiritual hierarchy.

I often have wondered at the distinction my local culture places on material reality being separate from non-material reality. And that somehow material is "less than" spiritual / emotional / mental "reality".

Peace,

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:22 am 

Buttercup Flamefrost wrote:
It is interesting. It is also interesting, that while there are so many that do, there are also spiritual practices and religions that don't have a spiritual hierarchy.

oh? could you give an example please?

Quote:
I often have wondered at the distinction my local culture places on material reality being separate from non-material reality. And that somehow material is "less than" spiritual / emotional / mental "reality".

Peace,

that is odd to separate things like that. I certainly don't see things that way. To me it is just different aspects/layers of how reality is. what is you local culture may I ask?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:10 pm 

Examples without spiritual hierarchy.

shintoism - works with nature spirits (not a hierachy, but an equality) from what little I have seen of this particular religion... and if I am understanding it correctly

taosim - everything is in balance, including extremes - no gods or angels or spirits to interact with, that I am aware of - even if you include divination it is all considered a reflection of self

As far as hierarchy between the "realities" goes, I add one caveat that is - this general cultural perspective may be changing in ways that I am not currently seeing.

My local culture is primarily Christian and Agnostic, and Texan/American in nature. Material reality is to be exploited or ignored. Women are supposed to be the symbolic embodiment of emtions; men are supposed to be the symbolic embodiment of thought. Rationale is often used as a "reason" to override or induce basic phyiscal drives such as sexuality, eating, etc. Luckily I'm not in an ascetic culture, where I have heard that denying physical reality / materiality can be taken to an extreme.

Thanks for asking,

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:06 pm 

thanks for the info BF

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:05 pm 

Okay, maybe I'm missing something, but in the original posting Bau says absolutely nothing about a "heierarchy". So, where did that concept come from in this thread? Some religions and spiritualities seem to have a heierarchy, as in hmmmm...what would that be? Degrees of divinity perhaps?

Still others don't - as was mentioned, some have more of an "equality" when it comes to the entities that comprise the Spirit world of these philosophies.

I think what is fascinating to me, however, is no matter whether there is an actual heierarchy or not, so many of the same concepts are shared - the idea of what "life" is and isn't; the idea of guardians, teachers and helpers. Those are the concepts that seem to hold common ground among the different philosophies and religions, and what I personally find convinces me that without a doubt, there is much more than what exists in our limited, physical experience.

Crowtalker

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:16 pm 

Hi Crowtalker,

Perhaps it was my overlay assumption that "higher power" actually referred to "higher" not "alternate" or "multi-". I apologize if this has taken the thread into an area not intended.

Sincerely,

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:39 pm 

No apology necessary! It adds another dimension certainly, but doesn't lead me away from the original thought -- that there is so much common ground between the philosophies and religions.

Crowtalker

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism