Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: No idea where to go next
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:12 am 

Hello,

I'm new to this board and perhaps new as well to the path, should it prove to me the one I'm meant to take at this time in life. I must admit I'm not sure of that yet. How does one tell such a thing in the modern western world. I've been exploring various spiritual paths for years now and I've always believed there is more to the world that what we see with our eyes, and of course what we hear and touch. I've long been a believer in personal power, and I'm open minded to so many things. But a possible path in shamanism? Me in the world of today? I live in town in north america. I'm certainly not a person one would think of as able to serve the community and any way at all. I'm admittedly out of touch with my own sense of personal power by now. And of course my family and others i can think of would either laugh or shake their heads in dismay if I even told them I'm even considering this further. "Oh for pete's sake, she's still evolving her path... who needs a path anyway?"

And yet, doubt aside, I cannot shake the feeling that I should explore this idea further. I have some basic knowledge and understanding if it all so far and of course as of late I've just wanted to learn as much as I can. I was drown to the path for a few years, but until one day very recently, it was just a matter of curious interest mostly. Something I learned a bit about but never thought of actively pursuing for myself. A couple of years ago while attending an earth based spiritual retreat I joined in a workshop of journeying. I did it mostly out of curiously and an interest in exploring such ideas and because of course though I was the only completely inexperienced newbie, no one minded. I learned that I even have a spirit animal, confirmation from an unrelated event years before. More recently, memories of a past life, one that relates so closely and directly to this path, have been coming up at random more and more often.

The past life, images are fascinating, but sad at the same time. I'm only left to realize and remember and understand that I am now so far from the sense of confidence and connection that I once knew perhaps lifetimes ago now. I have to admit I have no idea what to think of that situation either. I've been lost and sad and disheartened for the last year or so, and feeling as though perhaps i am lost from something I am supposed to discover, or perhaps rediscover as the case may be, but then on the other hand can one really come to a great spiritual commitment from a time of depression and loss of purpose in the first place? I have reached a point now that I have family who wants me on medication for what they consider to be severe anxiety. Sometimes I think of giving in, but other times I truly feel like it's all leading up to something.

This post is far too long. Certainly longer than I planned on. Yet I would be grateful for any advice on exactly what the next step should be.

Post subject: Re: No idea where to go next
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:38 am 

most things your going to learn is through first hand experience not reading books, go find yourself a drum or rattle (maybe both) and explore them until they show you your path. some people can commune with spirits, others can journey, some can soul retrieve through conversation, some can do all these things, and some can do none. until you can answer this question for yourself, you dont know what should be studied in books.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:44 pm 

Drumming inside an apartment... ooh that would not go over well with my neighbors. I like the idea of getting hold of some kind of rattle though. I think that would be fine in an apartment, and keep me in good enough standing with the rest of the building.

Thank you for the advice on this. I think you are right. It's impossible to know where to go if one has no idea of a general direction in the first place.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:20 pm 

Blazewind wrote:
Drumming inside an apartment... ooh that would not go over well with my neighbors. I like the idea of getting hold of some kind of rattle though. I think that would be fine in an apartment, and keep me in good enough standing with the rest of the building.

Thank you for the advice on this. I think you are right. It's impossible to know where to go if one has no idea of a general direction in the first place.

If drumming's not possible because of where you live, you can certainly buy (or free downloads avail thru this site) some Shamanic Drumming CDs. The drum beats need not be loud to do their thing!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:21 pm 

do whatever you like blazewind, but i would strongly advice you to experiment with trance and journeying using a real instrument. you cannot feel the wind horse on a recording...

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:14 am 

ShimmerSnake wrote:
do whatever you like blazewind, but i would strongly advice you to experiment with trance and journeying using a real instrument. you cannot feel the wind horse on a recording...

You most certainly can. However, if you expect not to, this is right, you will not. I've done it, so I know it's possible.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:26 pm 

soulflower wrote:
ShimmerSnake wrote:

You most certainly can. However, if you expect not to, this is right, you will not. I've done it, so I know it's possible.

before making a statement like this, first explain what you think the wind horse is please. you pretend your meditations, the wind horse isnt pretend but is something thats literally felt with the skin.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:07 pm 

ShimmerSnake wrote:
soulflower wrote:
ShimmerSnake wrote:

before making a statement like this, first explain what you think the wind horse is please. you pretend your meditations, the wind horse isnt pretend but is something thats literally felt with the skin.

Since you seem to think you are the authority on this board, I shall leave you to answer the questions. Good luck SS.

I am open to any discussion, open minded and open hearted that anyone wants to participate in. I will not however, take part in conversations that are insulting, rude, close-minded or unnecessarily judgmental. Just a little fyi

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:51 am 

soulflower wrote:
Since you seem to think you are the authority on this board, I shall leave you to answer the questions. Good luck SS.

I am open to any discussion, open minded and open hearted that anyone wants to participate in. I will not however, take part in conversations that are insulting, rude, close-minded or unnecessarily judgmental. Just a little fyi

so far every topic ive read that you posted your intentionally posting mis-information then your defense for doing so isnt that you didnt know, but that im close-minded or that i should be more open-minded. your posting wiccan practices and proclaiming them to be shaman. i would be doing the people that are actually interested in shamanistic practices a dis-service if i didnt say anything about it.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:55 am 

ShimmerSnake wrote:
so far every topic ive read that you posted your intentionally posting mis-information then your defense for doing so isnt that you didnt know, but that im close-minded or that i should be more open-minded. your posting wiccan practices and proclaiming them to be shaman. i would be doing the people that are actually interested in shamanistic practices a dis-service if i didnt say anything about it.

This conversation has all the makings to get really ugly really quickly, so I am going to leave it at this.

If I have learned anything over the years in dealing with people on forums it is that when a person has already made up their mind, it is difficult for anyone to show them otherwise. Shimmer, you make a lot of assumptions, judgements and are plain wrong in a lot of your comments to and about me. This tells me that you are not interested in getting to know what I am about. And I, on the other hand, am not interested in endlessly trying to explain. If you care to know what was actually said, or posted, the information is all there in black and white, for eternity. You twisting my words around does not change what I have said.

I'll be leaving for now, sadly as I feel this line of conversation is not conducive to any sort of growth, spiritual, personal, shamanic or otherwise and is only detracting from what could be some great conversation.

Wishing everyone good luck on their journeys and may spirit guide you all along the way!

namaste'

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism