Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Meditating?
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:39 pm 

I want to start meditating better and taking journeys that I hear so much about. Not because it's just what I want to do, but because I believe I'm strong enough to take it, and I think it would be beneficiary to me and my surroundings (community).

What is the first step of trance/meditating/journeys?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:06 pm 

sit comfortably, ground yourself and then:

The first step is to quiet your mind. That alone will show you if you are "strong enough to take it." See if you can sit for at least 3-5 minutes with not one thought...

...and every time your mind drifts off, pull it back and start again

yes, this will be beneficial to you, but only if you don't succumb to the struggle of making your mind quiet

then, work your way up to 10 minutes, then 15 minutes with not one thought

Use a timer. You'll be stunned at just how long 15 minutes seems while you are in meditation.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:05 pm 

Except when you actually pass out for an hour or more from being too relaxed...

Though one note of advice...its not just simply about 'believing' that your are strong enough...its about the sense of 'knowing' that you are strong enough.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:25 pm 

would there be a certain position to sit in? can i lay down? is there any chants i say when im able to sit still for a long time? i got the 5 mins down, and im workin on longer. do i need a drum? if so, when? whats the longest time i can meditate? is there a certain time limit for it? is there such thing as too much? and finally, when will i know when my meditations actually working? or is it one of those things that "you'll know when it happens"?

sorry. i just have many questions. those are all of them i think... thank you for all your help and support.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:23 pm 

Breathe my friend breathe, your over thinking the process too much. In fact your thinking over it all too much as a system. Too logically...

Its a personal time, a time to just simply relax and let your mind clear itself, and enjoy the alleviating feeling of riding yourself of any troubling thoughts. Ultimately don't worry about how its done, just search for that mind numbing sensation...Do what feels best for your peace.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:31 am 

welll let's see...

POSITIONS:
you can sit; you can stand; you can lay down (although you may fall asleep); you can twirl like the sufi dancers do; some yogis stand on their heads. You can try several different positions to see what is most comfortable and effective for you.

SOUNDS:
sure - chant, drum, rattle, hum, breathe loudly, whatever - or just be silent and listen to your heartbeat or breath. Again, whatever will take you to that place of stillness within you.

TIME:
The only restriction here is to not be interrupted by the phone, the dog, children or anyone. You can meditate for 5 minutes or 5 days. It depends on what the purpose of the meditation. If you are looking to relax, about 20 minutes will do and your body will naturally come back to awareness. But if you are on journey, you'll need to go to the end of the journey. And that can take a while - or be very short if the answer comes quickly. Just do not hurry or have expectation. Lose the clock.

The purpose of meditation is to attain QUIET and STILLNESS, not achievement. If you have to plan out and think about what you are doing, you're not meditating. It's as simple as going for a walk, finding a beautiful place, sitting down and closing your eyes, shutting out the outside world and going within yourself. Listen to your heartbeat. Feel your blood pulsing through your body. This is your internal drum; your life's song.

And when you realize you are thinking about putting gas in your car or what you want for dinner, return to listening to your heartbeat. Just be in the moment.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:03 pm 

Okay. That makes sense.
Everything you said makes sense.
No expectations, no limits, no interruptions.
I get what you're saying.
I appreciate your help.
Thanks ever so much.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:23 pm 

That is the mystical method and it can teach you vital lessons. Then again, if you get impatient "waiting for the bus to come" or want to journey more deliberately, I recommend seeking a local circle led by a shamanic practitioner. If you can't find that, consider following a guide book, such as "The Way of the Shaman" by Michael Harner. Or if you want to find out how I do it, I posted my general way of it in the One-Eyed Hawk thread on this forum.

Post subject: yeah :D
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:19 am 

when you first start meditating it can be sooo fucking difficult but stick at it, if you stay creative you may spontaneosly create methods that help such as visualising thoughts as candles, acknowledging them and then blowing them out.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:17 pm 

As a first step in meditation, I recommend relaxing your physical body and connecting with/following your breath. The ability to hold a still mind increases with practice. You may only be able to do it for a few seconds in the beginning. Just keep coming back to the breath as suggested.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism