Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Lots of reading led me here!
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:21 pm 

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all well and thank you for any notation, advice or guidance that you can give me. On the 31st october this year, I awoke at 05:15am to try and find out the meaning of an extraordinary dream I had just had. Not quite a nightmare, although I was screaming in the dream, it was so vivid that I tried to find out it's meaning. Several days later, I finally email my dream to a person called Ariadne and was informed that my dream was about the initiation of becoming a Shaman and suggested I look up books on Shamanism. Here lies the problem...

This is all new to me and the amount of information out there is incredible. I really do not know where to start. I'm looking for something in it's simplest form, that can help me fully understand my dreams meaning and how I can use that meaning to better understand myself and the world around me. I have included the dream I have below, so apologise for the longish post, but would be really appreciative for any assistance.

Almost from the moment I fell asleep, I'm at work, finishing up for the day and then at home. Not a home I recognise, but my home nonetheless. Mother, father and brother were there but not my sister. Only my brother looked how he does. In the dream, my father was a bearded man who was skilled in either hypnotism or relaxation techniques, because when I mentioned in anguish that I was tired and just wanted to sleep, efforts were made by the father figure to put me to sleep. A deep sleep. My mother in the dream, was a blurred image. During the dream, I'd be in a deep trance like state or it could have been sleep, but could see everything going on around me. I was also in various positions during my sleep like on the bed, then on the floor in a small hallway and lastly sitting on a chair in the living room. I felt my eyes were open due to seeing everything but can not be sure, since I know I was sleeping. Both in the dream and in real life.
Anyway, I hear the father figure chanting, spreading a thick gooey substance on my chest and sides with a large feather, when the 1st event occured. I started to shake and felt my body tighten up, then a scream came from me like I've never heard. During my scream, still sleeping, I could sense/see a large beast (Looked like a Tiger) surfacing to the top of me. I could see it's eyes through the father figures eyes, my right thigh and arm turning into a leopards skin but keeping the form of my human self and my whole body getting tighter and tighter with goosebumps over my body. I saw fear in my parents eyes but also concern. The scream went on for I'd say 10-15 seconds then my body relaxed and the tiger faded away.
I'm assuming I was moved several times by my father as he was always there. The 2nd place was in a small hallway, just outside the toilet. I'm on the floor, seated in the corner, with my head rested on the walls. I could hear the father figure singing or chanting still, in the toilet and my mother in the background. Nothing more at this spot. The 3rd spot was in the living room, sitting in a chair, still sound asleep. The living room was quite large and more of the gooey substance was being applied to my chest and sides with a large feather. I see my brother come in with a few friends from outside and they sit down close to me. I can see them looking at me but unable to look at them or respond to them, even tho my eyes were open. I am aware for a few seconds twice, that I actually give a little smile/smirk as they start to make a little fun of how I must look to them but then back in the trance like state. My mother asks them to go elsewhere and my father continues. Then the 2nd main event takes place. It's just like the 1st event, where my body tightens up, goosebumps appear and I let out an even louder and longer scream. This scream goes on for what feels like a minute and during the scream, the Tiger resurfaces and more of my body shows the colouration of the Tiger. I feel or see the tigers eyes, mouth and whiskers. I see it roaring as my mouth is open with screaming. I see the fear in my parents eyes but again, great concern and calmness. Once I stop screaming, the Tiger fades away again. I am also aware for a brief moment after, that I feel totally at ease with myself, relaxed, content and able to sleep peacefully. I feel my eyes swell, while closed and tears slowly running down my cheek. I feel myself wanting to continue the dream but a tickle on my nose wakes me and it's a single tear rolling down my cheek onto my nose.

Thank you for your time and have a great day.

Mark

Post subject: Re: Lots of reading led me here!
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:32 pm 

The problem with dreams is that it's your intrepretation of the dream. Then if someone else chips in, it's their intrepretation of your intrepretation. However, I do think it's helpful to look at recurring themes in dreams.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:54 pm 

Thank you for your quick response shamanRN. I fully understand that any interpretation, wether it be my own (which I failed at miserabley :) ) or someone else's, that that is all it is and your reply kinda puts me back to sqare one, no offence :). I have an open mind and like to think that this particular dream WAS telling me something. Why? Because I have never had a dream quite like it. It forced me out of my bed after 5am to try and find out it's meaning, but Dream dictionarys didn't tell me much at all.

It is very important for me to understand why I had this particular dream, due to it's unsettling nature but at the end, the euphoria I felt of peace and relaxation.

I'll keep looking but naturally, will explore other options. I have simply started looking at Shamanism, following a suggestion only and it all helps.

Yours,

Mark

Post subject: work
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:16 pm 

hi to all shamanportal.orgers this is my frst post and thought i would say hi -
regards speak again soon
garry m

Post Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:29 am 

Hello garrymoore, You had me all excited for a minute then, when I thought I had an actual positive reply to my post. :s

I hope you have better success than I am currently having to my posts request. Have a good day.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:52 am 

This is a difficult one, the dream could relate to several things.

It feels more like an invitation than an initiation. So far it has worked since you did go out and find out more about what it could be, you have followed the trail of breadcrumbs and read about it, found your way here, asked etc.

How do you feel after this? Elated or over sensitive? Mood swings, unsettled or like a bird with new wings? Confused or clear? (there is no 'right' answer by the way!)

What has happened since this dream?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:34 am 

Hello Forest Child and thank you for your reply.

This is a hard one indeed, since all my reading & research has opened my mind further to the posibilities of power animals, good and/or misplaced spirits around me. Forgive my "misplaced spirit comment" but it seems there is some debate as to what to call spirits that are not helping you. I have seen evil, dark etc and agree that these words are harsh and should not be used.

For quite some time, I have had a string of bad luck and wether it's because I'm reaching out and/or trying to find an answer as to why, I become more and more convinced, that I am surrounded by mispaced spirits. Always a sense that someone or something is in the home with me, even tho I live alone, small strange things happening and unexplained noises, all lead me to believe, more and more, that I have unwanted spirits controlling my life. 'Again forgive my newbieness at the terminology'.

I wondered if smudging would help and if so, how I go about it, or how do I get in touch with someone local to do it correctly for me. I wish no harm to anybody or anything and am aware that there is a proper way to deal with this matter.

I feel lost and bewildered, ignored, so it's a pleasure to see a response and a good one to my problem.

Thanks again for your reply.

Mark

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:22 pm 

Sometimes a string of bad luck can bring us to question things we would never normally have given a second thought, again this could be an invitation to delve deeper.

Misplaced spirits is a great way to describe things which shouldn't be there. Don't worry about terminology, it's ok.

In shamanic practice there are things which can scare us but which need to be faced. It's not that they are evil or good they simply push buttons in us which produce fear or anger perhaps. When we turn and face them they can become allies or they can leave us alone but always we grow from the experience.

Lost, bewildered and ignored is interesting and really suggests that this is a transitional time for you. Have you dreamed since? Anything interesting?

Big cats often come to those who are alone, lone warriors so to speak because their energy is similar. I wonder if instead of fearing these happenings, if you could sort of say "what the hell" and see what they want?

You are not alone, so many have gone through similar and survived to find new strength they never thought they had. Are you in the UK or elsewhere in the world?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:36 pm 

Just the fact, that I am now reading something positive has lifted my spirits and I humbly thank you for your help.

As for further dreams, family play a very strong role in my dreams since, but of my mother and father pushing me away. Although this is not a worry to me.

What is a worry, is having done exactly what you suggested :) 'What the hell do you want from me' I find myself speaking softly, angrily, pleadingly and more to empty space in my home, in the hope of getting some sort of sign but my health at the moment forbids my doing anything more just yet.

Maybe the fact that I have opened myself up to alternative answers has planted something in my subconsious and explains the crazy dreams I now have, but my sleep has become very restless and that can also be a reason for my 'dare I say, Paranoia'.

I am in the UK, near Stoke on Trent, West Midlands and will endeavour to seek out someone local via the phone book and internet in the hope that I can fully understand the ins and outs of my life and move forward from there.

The fact that you have taken the time to reply to my post is very much appreciated and you instil in me, that there are people out there who give a damn and care. :)

I shall continue to read up on Shamanism and alternatives as my 1st post about my dream was so strong, I firmly do believe that Shamanism can or is a part of who I am or could be and I've been wanting to find out more about myself for a very very long time.

Take care for now.

Mark

Post Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:57 am 

I had to laugh, when I said 'what the hell' it was a sort of shrug shoulders, "ah whatever" kind of attitude rather than asking the Spirit angrily "what the hell do you want"! :lol:

Never mind, don't worry. Sometimes when we just drop the suspense and say "oh I just don't care any more", we get down to that place where we get ourselves out of the way and become open to the messages that are all around us.

I'm a bit far north of you to be of much help on a one-2-one basis (Lancaster, UK) but I know a guy not too far from you who has been practicing for 16+ years and is a lovely chap. IF you feel this could be of interest, please just drop me a PM.

Giving a damn and caring is 90% of what shamanic practice is about. All the titles in the world mean nothing if someone in pain or trouble can't be put first.

It sounds like a good idea to keep looking into and learning about these spiritual things which are presenting themselves to you right now. Follow where they lead even if it is down odd roads which seem to have nothing to do with shamanism. If you need to talk in confidence, please feel free to contact me.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism