Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Lapp Shamanism
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:29 am 

I have been trying to get a copy of the book "Studies In Lapp Shamanism" by L Backman and Hulkantz with no luck. Every where I try I am told it is out of print.

Please does anyone know where I may obtain a copy.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:28 am 

I am surprised that no one has really given Lapp (or Saami) shamanism a proper mention on this forum. The noaide are amongst the only shamans still surviving in Europe and as far as I can tell no one seems interested in them. Does anyone know of any surviving noaide and how to contact them please?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:17 pm 

Greetings from Finland. I just visited Lappland at the weekend and no shaman walked by.
There is no one in Finlands part of Lappland, who openly acts as shaman or noaide or noita as we here call them. When christianity came it burned drums, and shamans were banned. It is useful to know that attitude is still there. Noaides are underground if any exist. Only family or closest know, if somebody is a noaide and that information is not shared. (they may feel shame of themselves, because of other's opinions)

Other quite strong possibilty is also, that shamanism is not there anymore as a healing method. Maybe it did not survive.

I do know one old person, who keeps old traditions, giving sacrifices to old gods and also have his drum. It is kept safe and secret. I have not witnessed his healing abilities, but hospitality.

Sami people suffer same fate like many other insidious people. Thay have lost their culture, identity, old gods and customs. Rootless people try to find comfort from alcohol. Nowadays they try to renew themselves try to find out who they are, but reindeer herding is not same as old times and will not be. They society have changed and is still changing.

At Norwegian side were one pal, who offered workshops and had a lineage from sami shamans, but for now I cannot find his name or information. He did the work openly, maybe in Oslo. I may try again later, there may be some file somewhere from -90's.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:37 am 

Jusma

I have been told this before that the noaide do not exist anynore and also I have been told they do exist. I have managed to find some on the internet who claim to be noaide, but I either cannot find contact addresses or they turn out to be core shamans. I did manage to get contact addresses of three "noaide". One Eirik Myrhaug who I have written to several times but he will not answer. Greta Huuva, who did reply, but I have doubts as if she is a genuine noaide, and Ailo Gaup from Norway (who may be the one you are referring to) who is a core shaman and not a noaide. Ailo Gaup claims to be a noaide trained by a traditional noaide I believe his uncle. But when I read about Ailo his techniques are core shamanism. Ailo also has a plastic drum, I cannot imagine a genuine noaide having a plastic drum. Also he said he was also taught by Michael Harner. I cannot believe he would exchange all the traditional Saami techniques for core shamanism if it was true he was taught by his uncle.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:02 am 

Yep, Ailo Gaup was the man, I was trying to remember.

Hmm, I think the tradiotion is broken. I have not heard even a tiny prove, that would suggest otherwise. Rumors are nothing but rumors.

And people may call shaman almost anybody, who just happens to act differently.

One person contacted me once, because of mysterious events in her life. Her grandfather was a lappish healer, as she said and suspected if her symptoms existed because of that lineage. But she has no skills or knowledge how to deal with situation. I suggested to study first basic coreshamanic journey method, so she could learn by herself from spirits, or contact her grandfather to teach her.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:03 pm 

Barry: You can find a used copy at anybook-uk , but it will be very expensive (120 pounds last I looked). Get the spelling right :Studies in Lapp Shamanism (Stockholm studies in comparative religion) (Hardcover)
by Louise Backman (Author), Ake Hultkrantz (Author).

As far as I know, there is no transmitted Noadje lineage alive today, at least not one that is available to non-Sapmi people. There are rumors of hidden drums, but that's all, alas. The spiritual/ethnic suppression of the lapps in Scandinavia was brutal and thorough. My ancestors, on my father's side, are from Tromsö, Senja, and they participated in the persecution of the Sapmi and the Kven in the 19th century, something which has taken me a long time to clear. I am now the caretaker of an island used by the Sapmi in northern Sweden (actuallt the southernmost part of Sapmi territory), but as of yet, no one has come forward to acknowledge this connection, though I have been told this will happen in due course.
don't really know why I am posting all this, since I too am generally rather sectretive. Maybe someone will read it who can establish a link.
Blessings, Jimmy White Tiger

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism