Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Just beyond my grasp
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:24 am 

Hi,

I'm new to shamanism. I consider myself to be quite serious in my efforts to learn and grow spiritually. I'm a husband and father, busy in the realities of domestic life. As a young boy I spent most of my time wandering in the forest with my dog. I had a strong connection to the trees, soil, sky, . . . In my first year of high school I moved from my childhood home to the neighboring town. I immediately felt alone and isolated. I immediately felt a sense of loss from my childhood earth connection. In need of something I divided my time between partying pot smokers and intellectuals. I am today an artist still very much interested in the natural world, but feeling disconnected from it due to my domestic responsibilities. I practice yoga and meditate as often as I can. I feel a deep spirituality within me. A couple of years ago I stumbled upon a book by Alberto VIlloldo on soul retrieval and experienced in a dream state something akin to what Villoldo described in the book, then the book disappeared. I have once experimented with Salvia Divinorum, an experience I consider to be profoundly spiritual, but something I'd prefer to be a one-time thing. I've just read some of the postings about power animals. I have never tried to summon a power animal because I know nothing of shamanism, but I believe that mine might be a bird. I believe this for a number of reasons, for example: One day while on a painting excursion on Monhegan Island, in Maine I was alone, wandering on my way to paint the landscape and at various time throughout the day I was surprised by a birds. I encountered a pheasant, raven, and hawk. To a birder this is not unusual, the surprising manner which these three presented themselves I had a feeling at the time that something unusual was happening. Monhegan is well known by painters, and has been painted by many greats. I had a feeling that I was being welcomed by the spirits of long-dead artists alive in the forms of the birds. That happened in 2001. I am hear today asking how to begin, or continue my journey on this path from the perspective of a person very committed to the realities of domestic life. I'm interested in hearing from people who have been involved in raising a family, and don't have the time, or money, to travel to remote places to follow the path.

Thank You.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:41 pm 

Last edited by stitcherman on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:38 pm 

Hello birdsaroundme,

Nice name.

When shamanic work came to me, I too was limited by obligation and money. Nothing has changed over the years except that I opened to the world of spirit in profound ways that have profoundly changed the way I live in the world. When it started, I didn't have the time, the inclination, or the money to chase around the world. I still don't. I also discovered that some of the acitivities that I considered essential were perhaps not so essential. Over time, I gave them up in favor of opening to the world of spirit.

I notice that you practice yoga and meditate. These are most definitely excellent activities, but if your life is very very busy, perhaps a little of the time that goes to them could go to developing shamanically. You will find that they are complementary activities - all three of them. I have two shamanic friends who spent years doing both before they opened to shamanic work in most interesting ways.

I watch other shamanic friends flying off all over the place for this or that incredible experience, but the fact is, in my experience, the spirits are right here, where I live, waiting to be noticed by anyone alert enough to notice them. In other words, you don't have to go anywhere exotic to encounter the world of spirit. They are in you, around you, in your house, in your yard, at work, on your way to work, literally everywhere. Just open your heart and your third eye. (Ask for protection, though).

I also notice that you live in the NE - north east - I assume. You mention Maine in your posting. I too live in northeastern North America. Let me assure you that under the "veneer of western civilization", the world of native American spirit is vibrantly present if you open yourself to it. Before shamanic work came to me, I had no more than a passing interest in native American stuff. I was very surprised when some of that sacred world started opening to me. I am still surprised!

You can't rush your opening to the world of spirit. It will happen in the time it takes to happen. Listen to yor heart, to your intuition, to the wisdom of the inner voices. When it's supposed to happen, it will.

Chris

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:36 pm 

Hi Birdsaroundme,
What Chris says resonates deeply with me too. I work full time, help raise a family, and shamanic practice can be a challenge. My woman has reservations about "that shaman crap" and doesn't want her kids influenced by it. I respect that. So sessions are seldom, when I can get them to leave me alone in the house for long enough. A day on a weekend once in a while. I also ride the bus each day, and have found a way to journey with recorded drums. To the rest of the riders, I'm just another guy with earbuds taking a nap. I've tried journey while jogging, but the state of consciousness was fuzzy and my companions took the opportunity to play a practical joke on me. Funny, but still I want to wait until I've advanced some more before developing that.

Lately, I've been able to check-in with my spirit companions without any trance at all. This is an interesting development. The leader of my circle told me of this once but I didn't understand what she meant until now.

I recommend finding a local open circle. If none are there, maybe attend pagan festivals or ceremonies (such as the recent solstice) and meet folks.

Anyways... hello!

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism