Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Jesus and Yoga:
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:56 am 

Peace be upon all.

I have gotten into some interesting historic and religious research.
My question here is if Jesus may have been involved in the beginnings of any yoga lineages, assuming that he really did go to India. If he did, and if he taught people there, then any yoga lineages that may be connected to him would have to have originated in the first century c.e. during Jesus' supposed lifetime. I know that yoga has many lineages and many sacred texts. I am wondering if anyone may have any knowledge that can tell me where to start, such as people, texts, or specific lineages that I may look into. This is something I know Allah has inspired me to contemplate.

I'm open to anyone's opinions.

Post subject: Re: Jesus and Yoga:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:59 am 

The Yoga you are referring to that is popular in the west, is really only one type of many, many different forms of Yoga.

I believe Yoga predates Christ.

I don't personally see Christianity as being compatible with Shamanism (ask your guides), because the moralistic belief system central to Christianity causes one to constrict one's energies to avoid being "evil". This is one of the primary things people must overcome on the path to spiritual well-being.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:44 pm 

resonantD: Well, that depends on what part of christianity you belong to.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:23 pm 

[
Peace be upon all.

Thank you for your input.

I have been studying Jesus for a while now.

I know that Yoga predates Christ by thousands of years. But I have heard that some of the Yoga lineages may have been influenced by his teachings. So, I'm trying to see for myself atleast on some level. But, I find other people's knowledge and input may be very useful to me.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:29 pm 

[quote="soddex"]resonantD: Well, that depends on what part of christianity you belong to.[/quote]

Peace be upon all.

I am a Muslim, and a Shaman. I also wish to be a Yogi if I'm not already one. I, as a Muslim, believe naturally that Jesus was also a Muslim in that he submitted entirely to God alone, which is ultimately the basis of Islam; Submission to God alone. That's what Islam literally means; "Submission."
And I find it interesting, that "Yoga" according to my teachers means, "Yoke." I was taught that this is so because, as an ox is yoked with the plow, so the Yogi is yoked with God. This is the same essence implied by "Islam."

Any knowledge one has on this subject is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism