Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Intent as aplied to shamanism
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:12 am 

Good Morning friends,Has anyone come accross a book called The Eagles Quest,By Fred Alan Wolf,a physicist finds scientific truth at the heart of the shamanic world,a cerebral read if your interested,it covers a lot of shamanic questions and seems to mostly come back to intent,I found the question of time travel as aplied to healing and quantum flux at the celular level interesting,seems like a scientist who tries to discount shamanism at first but keeps finding direct correlations that explain some shamanic practices,I
ve also been studying a book called Dreaming with the wheel,how to interpret and work with your dreams using the medicine wheel,bySun Bear,Wabun Wind and Shawnodese,this books not so much dealing with intent as interpretation but it gives a lot of info on totems and plant and minerals,I've considered making a medicine wheel but the different things that you need arent exactly readily available,I'll have to make a list and gradually put something together,I think I'll read the book again and see if I cant get a better grasp on it,has any one come accross these books ?what are your opinions on these subjects?I'm trying to learn traveling and journeying but so far I'm having a hard time getting the privacy that I need to really explore the deeps,mabe ear plugs and a black mask would help,anyway this has to do with the subject of Intent as aplied to the journey to find my Spirit Guide,I'm not crazy about closing myself off to nature that way,when I'm trying to get answers,I feel like I'm gonna have to go for a long walk in the woods for a couple of days but my family has a hard time when I'm not around,anxiety asociated with medical conditions as yet to be specified by the medical community,my wife has a pain disorder that they cant figure out but they dont mind filling her with whatever medication that trial and error seems to help,the main problem is she doesnt respond to the meds the way a healthy person does,you or i would be comatose if we were to use someof these things but for here it just makes it to where she can walk and function wuithout a wheelchair,the problems are the side affects,they cause anxiety and depression,so its hard for me to get away without taking her with me,so I wait for the spirit to find a way and a time thats right for my situation,but of course sooners better than later,my problem,perhaps it comes back to clear INTENT,I'll keep trying and studying,hopefully I'll gain some insight from the group.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:16 pm 

Intent is like wish and goal, but not the same. A wish is something we have in a list. I wish this and that. We can have a big collection of wishes. A goal is when we plan to make a wish come true at a certain time in the future. A goal can also be a direction: we work on partially making the wish come true but don't know exaclt when it will happen. That is more like an attitude.

Intent is a specific item on the wish-list that we want to make come true as soon as possible.

When we practice shamanism, what do we intend to get done at this session? That is our intent. Maybe we intend to learn something. Maybe we intend to heal something. Maybe we intend to protect something. Whatever it is, we communicate or negotiate it with our spirit companions.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:20 pm 

Ah,I see,I just started smoking salvia to help put myself in touch,i try to concentrate on what I want while I'm purifying the room with smudge and corn meal,then I smoke and sit in my comfy chair and pull a bandanna down over my eyes and try to just relax,it seems if i try to do something at this point i get sidetracked,try not to get distracted but then the neighbors dog starts barking,I can hear people 5 houses down partying in their back yard ,then the fly showed up,I was looking for a guide so I'm not sure if thats what he was or just an agravation,he seemed to like me a lot while I tried to ignore him and stay clear as it were,I even asked him if he had anything to tell me or show me,well he didnt say,lol,it was my first time using salvia to get to a journey state and i think i ended it before it was through with me,when I was younger i had a lot of experience with acid and had a really nice time on a golf course one night just sitting by a pond with my eyes closed and openning myself up to the night,contact with the ground helped I think,i wasnt unsure of how i would react or nervouse and it wasnt a really intense thing like most people have,more of a mescaline type with a hint of stricnin,a little jaw clenching,but I wasnt expecting anything just relaxing with the sounds of the pond and the animals in and around it,I may have to try it a little later at night or 3 or 4 oclock in the morning when the neiborhood is the quietest and in company with a citronila candle.I'm really at the basic beginning and I dont want to be pushy,and I seem to need a couple of hours of me time after to get clear headed without being intensely agravated,not violent just agravated,wierd.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:58 pm 

That sounds like a good way to approach it (starting at a mild level). They say repetition increases one's sensitivity (as opposed to party drugs that the body becomes tolerant of)

I was impatient when I began. The method I used was 10x strength, a water pipe about 1/4 bowl, butane torch, short breath to fill the chamber, exhale fully, then deep yogic breath (torching again) to get as much as I could inside (some pain tolerance helps because it is still fairly hot). That was too much and so I remember very little of the departure, but I was able to remember coming into being and the arrival to the world. Perhaps this is why it was such a compelling birth experience. After that I took a more regulated approach and over the course of many sessions was given 4 powers of perception, but when speaking to others I found that the gifts were not common to all who go to the plant spirit. Some of the insights are common to others, but I don't want to mention that. The plant spirit explains everything better than words. Also I had 2 stupid phobias since childhood and they are utterly gone. I can't doubt the plant spirit's healing power.

I wasn't doing purification or rituals or anything at that time. I was clueless, and the spirits were understanding. It was only later when I researched shamanism that I became deliberate in my journeys, but by then I discontinued use of the plant. What they say about the non-addictive (even anti-addictive) aspect of salvia d is true for me. That 1 gram packet from fall of 07 is still over half full and sitting in my garage. Once in a while I consider it. It's like asking myself "do I want to wake up from this dream?" and then I think "no, I like this dream too much, I'll stay asleep". Sounds crazy, I know.

For serious shamanic work, I prefer drum-induced journey. I doubt I would have even entertained the idea, though, if salvia d hadn't obliterated a wall.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:44 pm 

I was able to download the 30 minute drumming when I went to the site,I also found a free native American version with a rattle accompanying,its really short though,but nice,I intend to try both,you've helped a lot and I appreciate your advice,going through a lot of changes right nowI think I need to step away from the ego or at least try to recognize it for what it is and just let it come,I was out back earlier and the Hawk showed up,I was smoking a peacpipe blend in one of my favorite corn cob pipes when he stopped by,the corn has a lot of significance to me as a Choctaw and cherokee descendant,it feels right somehow,I offered him the smoke and paid my respects,just before he showed up a woodpecker was all around me,he was the one that gave the Flute to the Cherokee and Choctaw people,It made me feel good to think that I,m on the right path with my flutes and have his blessing,all this happened after I sprinkled some corn meal to the four corners and offered respect with the smoke to all my relations and thanked God and the spirit for the Time and Place,the Time to live and the place to die here in the Garden,I think that its good to feel more sometimes and think less,as I'm learning here on the portal. :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:44 pm 

I was able to download the 30 minute drumming when I went to the site,I also found a free native American version with a rattle accompanying,its really short though,but nice,I intend to try both,you've helped a lot and I appreciate your advice,going through a lot of changes right nowI think I need to step away from the ego or at least try to recognize it for what it is and just let it come,I was out back earlier and the Hawk showed up,I was smoking a peacpipe blend in one of my favorite corn cob pipes when he stopped by,the corn has a lot of significance to me as a Choctaw and cherokee descendant,it feels right somehow,I offered him the smoke and paid my respects,just before he showed up a woodpecker was all around me,he was the one that gave the Flute to the Cherokee and Choctaw people,It made me feel good to think that I,m on the right path with my flutes and have his blessing,all this happened after I sprinkled some corn meal to the four corners and offered respect with the smoke to all my relations and thanked God and the spirit for the Time and Place,the Time to live and the place to die here in the Garden,I think that its good to feel more sometimes and think less,as I'm learning here on the portal. :lol:

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism