Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: In need of advice...
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:19 pm 

I've been looking for a shamanic apprenticeship for a while now. The trainings, apprenticeships, and workshops that I find on the internet don't seem appealing to me. They all seem to be very expensive workshops that meet for only 6 days or just a weekend. Also, The 2-3 year apprenticeships I find are trainings that meet 2 weeks a year...

What I'm looking for, and I'm probably asking too much, is a 2-3 year apprenticeship that you are fully immersed in training for those 2-3 years. Preferably in another country than the U.S.. Also, trained personally by a shaman, instead of a class.

I'm 20 years old, and I'm extremely eager to learn shamanism in any for whether it be siberian, mayan, celtic, inka...etc.

So if anyone knows of any programs or if you know personally any shamans that do this type of training anymore I would really appreciate the info.

Thank you

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:31 pm 

Hi there Metazen

It sounds like what you are asking for is a more traditional apprenticeship and I agree, you may need to relocate for that to happen. However, I don't know of any indigenous shamans who advertise apprenticeships to those outside their own culture. It does happen of course, but you may need to go looking yourself and that would entail knowing where to look!

Have you asked your guide/s? Where are you drawn to?

Learning a culturally specific shamanic system will be more down to your guides and where they lead you than simply wanting 'any' traditional apprenticeship. The shaman will have to accept you and that will depend on her/his guides so you can see, there may be more to this there seems.

However, don't let that put you off, if you are called, then you will know where to go and your teacher will be there. Ask the Universe and be aware of the answers. Like a trail of breadcrumbs through the forest, your path will reveal itself as you walk it.

Good luck and I hope you let us know how you get on.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:30 pm 

Typically you have to find a culture that has a living shamanic tradition, travel there, and find a shaman you think yu can work with who is willing to take you on as an apprentice. Dennis

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:26 am 

Bearsky has a good plan. I wrote a post on my blog called "Test the Teacher" you might want to look at.

Whatever you do remember a saying " Identify and verify"

Hawk

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:55 pm 

Eagerness is indeed a blessing. Those of us not from indigenous cultures who find ourselves on this path certainly understand this. Along the way, some of us have also had to come to understand certain other things, namely:

1) There are many out there who've been chosen within the context of their cultures to follow this path that will view those of us that haven't with disdain.
2) Many of the people and places we hold dear have fallen away as we've gone deeper into our practice.
3) Shamanism is a calling. It is not what we "do". It is who we "are". If one isn't prepared to walk away from everything else, then it's not the real deal.
4) These practices can and do cause dramatic changes within not only you, but the people and places around you. Every practicioner MUST be prepared to deal with this.

My point is this. Be prepared to accept the consequences of your words and your actions. To say that you want to learn ANY type of shamanism, no matter what kind, will probably discourage all but the most unscrupulous of "teachers" (which is, in fact, lesson in itself). While each path has its merits, it's often best to study others with one's feet planted firmly upon one's own.

If you feel called to this, pray for direction. Study yourself, and find out what resonates within you. That which you are truly meant to do will come for you. And you won't have the choice or chance to walk away from it. When you find what it is you can't NOT do, you will have discovered who and what you are, and the journey will have truly begun.

Be well,

Ben

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:04 pm 

..along the Path all strings of knowledge you meet that sing in your heart you will braid in a lifelong quest
From all directions a seeker chooses what most will feed him along his Way
honoring all but most of all himself
Do not look far for all you need has been provided.
Your real master is the One within, the teachings are all around you to see
as you are apprenticed to Life and Light since ever
There is no the only one true colour, as Light is made from them all.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism