Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Is hunting spiritually sound?
yes 91%  91%  [ 10 ]
no 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

Post subject: Hunting
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:53 pm 

In this day and age where food is no longer hunted for survival, is it right to hunt?
Would it be a needless violence or is it justified if all parts are used.
And what of our new weapons. Are guns a shameful tool of murder? Is the only true way with natural weapons?
And with many great tools in shamanism being made of animal parts, is it right to hunt for such reasons?

Really I don't think it's right, but I use metal so who knows, I just think it's bs that a lot of places sell animal parts for shamanism because it takes the entire warrior healer aspect out.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:40 am 

This is a subject, which came to me this spring. Teachings I received from ancestors made me more humble. Teachings came during sacrificial seremony, where I was asked to make a bow, and reasons for that came later.

Hunting as anything else can become spiritual. When a hunter points to the game with his arrow and builds a link between own heart and that game's, there is union. Even, when kill something, we are one. And hunting, is it taking or asking - makes the difference. Hunting just for fun at shooting everything, who normal being has stomach for that activity?

And just how we treat our domestic animals makes me wonder, how ethical it is to eat farmed meat, when there is no respect, no love for the animals. I think game is more pure when compared to that. And when hunting is really done with bow, mostly weekest, sick and old are taken. Bow really is not a rifle. You really have learn skills to stalk, hide, crawl and also animals and nature overall.

One main point for spiritual hunting was made, that it is a sacrife. Hunter is asking game to sacrifice itself for a hunter. This asking and gifting makes humble, to show respect and also gives understanding about sacrifice. Gratitude for everything you receive may rise up greatly, because you understand, what others are giving away for you. You and targer are together at the moment of releasing arrow, so you start bless everything you get and make songs about the glory of your animals that feed you, give your sustenance. And maybe you yourself start to give more of yourself.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:05 pm 

In my opinion, if the animal is killed as quickly as possible and not shown disrespect, then it is honorable.

Too many hunters focus on the trophy and not the body/meat, etc.

I like the traditional European way after the kill. Never step or stand over the dead animal.
Place a small offering of herbs or leaves in the animal's mouth as a last meal.

I have mourned the death of every creature I have killed while hunting.
I feel an immense sadness and loss. Being a practical hunter, I must set aside those feelings and deal with processing the body of the animal so none is wasted.
I remove the bones from the meat and skin at the kill site. Before I carry the parcel away, I break all main bones so scavengers can access the marrow.
It's all about respect.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:48 am 

It would take someone blind and very sheltered to assume that in this day and age people dont hunt for survival,just because theres a grocery store every 5 miles doesnt mean everyone can afford what they have to sell,and this countries ways are not the norm globally,there are still a lot of hunter gatherers in this world who are hungry and dont care one bit for our opinion.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:00 am 

As far as i'm personally concerned, hunting is fine as long as you're going to eat the animal that you've killed. I'd probably eat it and give the bones a respectful burial somewhere but i'm not the hunting type

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:39 pm 

I have always hunted and fished for food. I can buy anything I need here locally, but I have a few reservations that make me enjoy hunting and fishing.
1. Who knows what is really put in the food that we buy from a grocery store?
2. How are we honoring those before us by conforming completely to technology, and giving up another possible connection to the earth?
3. I have seen many things that no one would see by being on a hunt.

I was raised in a "redneck" place in NC where how many animals you "blow down" makes you a good hunter. I've never felt RIGHT about this thought process no matter how many local people tried to cram it down my throat.

As to grocery stores being everywhere, there are millions of people who depend on hunting to survive still to this day. Many of my father's people in bush Alaska still depend on Caribou, Moose, Salmon, etc to survive by stocking up their winter storage.

As for ethics with a gun vs. bow or other methods, I use a very nice rifle and always place my shots to where I know the animal will have minimal suffering, and I hunt only for meat NOT TROPHIES.

I love being with nature, and I have recently (through my shamanic awakening) began to try to find ways to utilize everything on the animal, not just chop the meat off the bone and toss it back into a hole in the woods.

Make no mistake though, there are tons of people who believe that hunting is all about the raw savagery of murdering an animal just to place their exotic head on a wall in an office. I would like to see them be the ones hunted.

I feel as though we owe everything to this earth and must pay respects in the same manner. My 2 cents though.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:56 pm 

I can't click on the poll because hunting is such a diverse activity. Done respectfully for food, using all parts, disposing of the bones respectfully and with reverence I have no problem with.

Hunting for the sake of it, as a sport and an ego boost is not what I would consider to be acceptable.

Post subject: Re: Hunting
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:04 pm 

Dr.Iron wrote:
And with many great tools in shamanism being made of animal parts, is it right to hunt for such reasons?

Really I don't think it's right, but I use metal so who knows, I just think it's bs that a lot of places sell animal parts for shamanism because it takes the entire warrior healer aspect out.

I see what you are getting at here. All of my tools have come to me, I didn't hunt them nor did I buy them or were given them by others. They came to me naturally, gifted by spirit.

Perhaps its the same with other things in life, we need to be aware of only trading with ethical sources.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:41 pm 

I've never hunted before, but I plan to take a journey and live in the forest for some time to learn more from nature, to learn pureness even more, get rid of the rest of my ego. Maybe I'll buy a gun, but I think that I will make a bow and arrows myself, it feels better. I will hunt for the meat to eat, for the skin to make drums and rattles and I will thank the nature for supplying me with the food I get.

Today I mostly eat elk, deer, fish and other wild meat because it's more pure. It is better for the body and doesnt contain any chemicals as it do in the meat we find in stores. Much of the meat we find in stores is also from animals that's suffered alot! Is it not better to hunt for yourself or to buy food from a hunter?

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism