Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Re: How do you know when you've become a shaman?
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:12 pm 

Defining shamanism have much problems. It means very different things in different cultures. In indiginous cultures "a shaman" is a profession and is paid/sustained by the people or/and spirits to do his work. Actually there is no such thing as spirituality involved, but only work whether it is as ceremonialist, healer, storyteller, mythkeeper... Those are jobs to do and have nothing to do with seeking enlightment.

Neo-shamanic path mixes many things together and often also represent shamanism as a spiritual way of living. Actually this viewpoint seems more egofeeding than anything else. It is described as a animistic worldview and a practise and very rearly as a profession. By religious people this different from mainstream worldview is perceived often as a religion and ceremonies as a worship. Most religions have loaned something from earlier ways of worship and customs are meld together.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:53 pm 

I'm not really sure if I have anything to add, but I guess I still have questions myself--I was told by the spirits specifically that I am a shaman, using those words exactly. I'm not sure why, but those were the words used. I have no formal training, no cultural context, I don't really even have a community that I'm aware of--my only real guides have been animals, both spirit and living (I think...)

I don't even like to tell anyone because I spent three and a half years on really nasty medications, and have no desire to repeat that. I wouldn't even be sure how to begin healing...people just seem to get put in my path, and I do what I can to move them along. Does that count?

What does that make me? I still don't know. Am I supposed to do anything?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:11 pm 

I know who I am, I never named myself as shaman, but others called and calling me like this. Shaman is just a word, you know what is beyond this term. peace

Post Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:49 pm 

When you no longer seek for the desire to be labeled Shaman.
But truly believe in yourself within.

I would think you are well on your path.

Personally i find labels so so restrictive.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:29 pm 

We facilitate a healing experience within someone. They are healing themselves, we are simply making it possible for the healing to take place.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:28 am 

harmonicvisions wrote:
When the headline "How do you know when you've become a Shaman", in the monthly newsletter came across my computer screen it stopped me in my tracks...! I signed up for Shaman Portal just so I could reply to the question/discussion.

In short only a simple answer is possible for such a BIG question. When the community you serve calls you a "Shaman" because your work is getting them results, its only then I might think I have become a "Shaman", however would never call myself or make reference to be one.

Some food for thought, I believe Jesus Christ was the most amazing shaman that ever walked the earth, if the stories that surround him are true.

Walk in Beauty,

Karyn

I usually say, you keep plugging away getting good results and suddenly everyone is showing up for your version of help and one day you find out that for years your "community" has been calling you a shaman. After you struggle with ego and tell people to quit calling me that. Then after a while you just give in and say ok. You may say that but I am just a person who is trying to understand and help.

Traveler.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:01 pm 

Korean Shamanism: The Training Process of Charismatic 'Mudang'
https://scholarworks.iu.edu/dspace/handle/2022/2020
This is a free paper you can read from Indiana University.

A charismatic shaman defined by the cultural traditions of the Korean people... is a person who has an initiation through spiritual or divine means which calls them into the life of a shaman. However the distinction here is that of a person who has not learned their folklore and traditions. Their initiation was either brought on by themselves or they went to see a mudang master who 'attunes' them (I'm borrowing a term from reiki).

Whereas a hereditary shaman is someone who was brought up within the traditions of shamanism within their own family. They do not necessarily have any spiritual power. They might just help out like play an instrument, take care of the shrine and cook meals, etc...

They make a distinction that some, the charismatic mudang, have a destiny to placate the spirits.

and that the hereditary mudang do not necessarily have any spiritual destiny besides that they serve the will of their parents and other family members.

I think this is important for our discussion.

Shamanism is not a set of beliefs that you follow. It is a state of being with consequences.. do or die as people say..

www.hanbooks.com

I found this website one day and they have a lot of books on shamanism written by professional anthropologists.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:09 am 

Troll_ov_Grimness wrote:
Shamanism is not a set of beliefs that you follow. It is a state of being with consequences.. do or die as people say..

I think this is important to the discussion. This has been my struggle for quite some time now. The spirits seem to bring me to the brink of death and/or madness (or across the line, sometimes, perhaps...I'm not sure), leaving it up to me to find the correct path out of the wilderness.

Unfortunately, I don't really tend live in areas that are particularly welcoming to non-Western ideas, so it has been a bit of a struggle to find the path.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:51 pm 

Same as me I guess. I feel limited in what I can do to placate. I wrestle with it. I want to have my own mind, and I procrastinate. I often get monetary advice because it is my main concern. I was told to get a playset of Candelabra Of Tawnos (Magic The Gathering card) and I didn't follow through. I could have afforded one or two or few of them. Now that card is really expensive and I missed out.

Its said that a human's concept of time is not really there. and that spirits can know the future.

but ya.. I also live with people and its hard to be a practitioner surrounded by people who don't really understand.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:37 am 

When the question no longer matters and all that does matter is the work you do with the Spirits.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism