Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Honoring the Spirits...
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:01 pm 

Hi everyone, I'm new here as you already know. I hope to be on as often as time allows. Great to be in contact with fellow shamans.
I don't mean to ask a straight forward question right out of the box, but I have lately been getting a calling to hold a ceremony to honor the spirits. I have already chosen a location with significant energy, a sandstone cave at a regional preserve I visit. The area along with a friend and myself will be cleansed with white sage prior to the ceremony. I am unsure of how to go about the rest, I have never done this before. I have been practicing since January of this year. Like I said earlier, I have been getting a strong urge to hold a ceremony to honor the spirits...I want to do it right, I want it to be special! If anyone could give me helpful hints/tips or your personal experiences that would be much appreciated. I plan to bring an 18" goatskin drum for a journey. The friend who will accompany me is not a practitioner but respects me for my practice, who knows...Maybe the spirits will move him during this ceremony!
Peace, walkthepath

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:47 pm 

hi walkthepath,offer your sage smoke in the right manner also your sweetgrass call on the great spirit the grandfathers mother earth the 4 powers be humble ask the cave before you start the answers will come to your heart talk with spirit some answers come stright away some days some months or even years dont jump into journeying paths will open for you but it is not quickfix spirit will teach at the speed you need to know i am 13 years and still learning and still get some things wrong spirit has a sense of humor and make you laugh at your self if you can find an elder too teach you agood start to ask spirit for help donot forget toto thank all the above also plant people tree people winged ones 4 legged 2 legged no legged sea people also the ancesters of your land leave a pinch of tobaco as an offering We are all Related

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:56 pm 

Thank you very much for your reply! I have been seeking this type of guidance anywhere I can look for it and you are the first one to come up with genuine knowledge. I send you blessings for your help... What you have said confirms what I felt should be done. I honestly look forward to giving thanks and honoring the spirits and ancestors before me. I feel that this will be special, a memorable time in my journey. If you wish, send me your E-mail in a private message...I would love to keep in touch. I will send you mine.

Thanks again for the help, it really means a lot. :D
Peace, walkthepath

Post subject: Re: Honoring the Spirits...
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:38 pm 

[quote="walkthepath"]Hi everyone, I'm new here as you already know. I hope to be on as often as time allows. Great to be in contact with fellow shamans.
I don't mean to ask a straight forward question right out of the box, but I have lately been getting a calling to hold a ceremony to honor the spirits. I have already chosen a location with significant energy, a sandstone cave at a regional preserve I visit. The area along with a friend and myself will be cleansed with white sage prior to the ceremony. I am unsure of how to go about the rest, I have never done this before. I have been practicing since January of this year. Like I said earlier, I have been getting a strong urge to hold a ceremony to honor the spirits...I want to do it right, I want it to be special! If anyone could give me helpful hints/tips or your personal experiences that would be much appreciated. I plan to bring an 18" goatskin drum for a journey. The friend who will accompany me is not a practitioner but respects me for my practice, who knows...Maybe the spirits will move him during this ceremony!
Peace, walkthepath[/quote]

Peace be upon all.
I think you have a good idea, Walkthepath.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:24 am 

Little Eagle is correct. Another great source for additional information on ceremony can be found in the book "Dancing With the Wheel", by Sun Bear. Eventhough it refers primarily to the medicine wheel, some of it can be used at other locations, as a way to show respect and to honor great spirit. It is worth the read...a beautiful book.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:48 pm 

tgn22 wrote:
Little Eagle is correct. Another great source for additional information on ceremony can be found in the book "Dancing With the Wheel", by Sun Bear. Eventhough it refers primarily to the medicine wheel, some of it can be used at other locations, as a way to show respect and to honor great spirit. It is worth the read...a beautiful book.

Thanks for the reply. I will give the book a read when I have finished the one I'm currently on.
Peace, walkthepath

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:11 pm 

Hi, I would say the best thing to do is follow your feelings, If you feel like you need to do something (no matter how small or foolish you feel) do it. That is how spirit speaks to me, and it's all good. When you feel that the ceremony is finished DO NOT FORGET to release any and all spirits that you have called in. That is being respectful to them for all their good work. Also don't forget to have fun, spirits like to laugh too. Tom.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:14 pm 

Thank you for the further insight Tom. I held my ceremony on the 21st of June (summer solstice) in a cave at a regional preserve. During the ceremony, while I was drumming for the spirits, I received goosebumps and my entire body fell completely numb. I am 100% certain that was the spirits acknowledging me by letting their presence be felt. It was absolutely incredible the feeling I had while playing! I have never before, and never since, felt that way. I look forward to more ceremonies, next time will be more elaborate and longer in duration.
Peace, walkthepath

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism