Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Hello
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:55 pm 

Hi!!!!
My name si Wanda, Im from Puerto Rico, Im very interested on learning the shaman ways, here I haven been able to find any group of persons involved, so my learning has been decreased I hope to be able to meet others, learn and help in any way I can, my blessings to all.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:30 pm 

howdy Wanda,
many people do like to have or seek out a human teacher. however, there are really so few accessible teachers that often books or online sources must suffice. a few books that i would recommend are those by Sarangerel; "Riding Windhorses" and ""Chosen by the Spirits", as well as Sandra Ingermans Beginning Shamanism book. i've not read that last but i have read the rest of her works and feel it's safe to suggest a beginning book written by Sandra Ingerman.

i understand that this forum is new, so perhaps there are no helping threads in place yet. if there are perhaps some one else will point them out. if there are not then perhaps some will be started soon.

frith and bliss,
Jackie

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:08 pm 

I can also recommend Michael Harner's "Way of the Shaman" for a great introduction and resource for beginning shamans. I echo the recommendation on Sandra Ingerman's books as well.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:46 am 

Tom Cowen's books are good too.

once you learn the basics of shamanic spirit journey and find an animal spirit ally and possibly an upperworld teacher then they will guide you.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:10 am 

I have Sandra's "Journeying" book that Crowfuzz talks about and it is excellent. It's called "Shamanic Journeyin, A beginner's Guide".
There is also Kristin Maddens work. The "Book of Shamanic Healing" is good.

Welcome by the way. This is a good forum I find. Let's try to keep it that way. :)

Glasdraoi

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:55 pm 

another great book that "fell into my lap" so to speak is Shaman Healer Sage by Alberto Villodo. Good luck!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:19 am 

Here is another good book which I wrote about elsewhere on this forum---Where the Spirits Ride the Wind, Trance Journeys and other Ecstatic Experiences, by Dr. Felicitas Goodman.

Are you familiar with Zemis, the objects connected with the shamans of the indigenous people of the Caribbean? These were said to manifest supernatural power and were significant for spirit journeys etc. For example, duhos, were zemis of ceremonial polished benches that shamans and chiefs reclined on to do their spirit journeys. Other zemis are simply fetishes.

Living in Puerto Rico, perhaps you can come into contact with zemis and perhaps connect to the spirits of the land.

Mountain Valley Wolf

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism