Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Going to school to be a Shaman?
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:52 pm 

I feel that with my gift that I should develop it more. Where I live right now there is a school/opportunity for people to learn and develop their Shamanic powers. Personally I feel that working with energy healing can be very dangerous if the person doing the work does not fully understand what to do, as well as what not to do....So, as one Shaman to many others, do you feel that it is a good idea to go to school to develop your skill or do you feel that a Shaman's power develops on it's own over time?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:41 am 

Greetings

I feel that paying money for lessons is a waste of time.
The lessons will come in divine timing. If you want to excellerate it many teachers will be happy to take your money.
However rushing will only mean that some of the important things on your path may be missed and you will need to circle back to find them again at a later time. Reading books is a good help however even these can become a trap if one is not careful to remember that what is written is only the writers opinion and everyone's path is diffrent. So make your path unique by walking your own path beside them but not tagging along behind them like sheep. I do believe it is important to have like-minded people at hand say on a forum or friends of similar beliefs that can perhaps act as a guru to guide you should you become fearful or doubtful about yourself. A bit like a chear leader group that are there for your best interests. Healing work or any spiritual work MUST be done with a clear intent. If your intent is to create harm or is doubtful or is to create great wealth at someone elses expense then think again. The true shaman's path is not one of luxury but one of self sacrifice through service to others and a powerful shaman will be careful not to use healing powers as tools to find greed. That is why I object to money being charged for services that are available to everyone if they care to take a deeper look at nature.

Well that's my thoughts on the subject.
Other's may differ.

Elizabeth :D

Post subject: Re: Going to school to be a Shaman?
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:30 pm 

kodiak wrote:
I feel that with my gift that I should develop it more. Where I live right now there is a school/opportunity for people to learn and develop their Shamanic powers. Personally I feel that working with energy healing can be very dangerous if the person doing the work does not fully understand what to do, as well as what not to do....So, as one Shaman to many others, do you feel that it is a good idea to go to school to develop your skill or do you feel that a Shaman's power develops on it's own over time?

Hello
To me its what your calling is that decides what you should do.
One can wait until it comes naturally of course but there is a value to have a teacher. I have more than one teacher, some are humans some are not. I do not walk behind them as a sheep. I walk before them, because the teaching is of my experience, they walk behind me to give me support. As a gratitude there are gifts. Gifts are the most common exchange for teachings. Even those from nature, dreams, spirit you pay for in one way or another. Sacrifies are payment too. If I where to live with my teachers I would probably pay them in labour as a proper way to repay their time, efforts and gifts to me. The more we give the more we recieve. There are always greedy wolves around, but they pay too, in due time, often badly.
Since you ask your question the way you do you have already answered it yourself. Whatever you decide I'll be with you. And there's a difference between shamans powers and shamans skills. To have the chance to develop skills and techniques with a teacher sounds as a rare oppotunity to me. You know in your heart what is right for you and when the time is.
in ayni
Mamakilla

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:18 pm 

I have decided to take at least 2 of the classes offered and go from there...If I feel like it is a waste of time I will discontinue the course. On the other hand if it "clicks" with me I will be moving out of Steamboat Springs Colorado and move to Boulder which is where I first visited the beautiful state of Colorado. I will keep everyone posted as to what happens. 8)

KODIAK

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:07 am 

Live your dreams.

Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:52 am 

Boulder Colorado looks very promising at this moment. I will know more after I attend the first two core classes of the Shamanic school I will be attending in the fall. I guess it's no coincidence that I am a Fire Dragon in Chinese astrology and the next clan is the Dragon clan......hmmmmmmm.....coincidence? I will see.

KODIAK

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:24 pm 

Free will or being guided?
I have sent e-mails and left messages to the school I wish to attend and I have yet to receive a reply. All I want to do is sign up for 2 classes in a month so you would think that they would get back to me ASAP right? My question, do you think that my guides are "blocking" me away from this school or are they "guiding" me somewhere else? It just seems weird that something that I want to do would be blocked by my guides, doesn't that interfere with free will?

KODIAK
:?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:45 pm 

Why would you be blocked or even guided somewhere? I wouldn't read to much into "signs". Good signs won't become misinterpreted when they are shown to you.

You should choose out of your best knowledge and understanding. If you want to attend the school then keep sending letters or find another way to get in contact. If you have doubts then maybe you should do something else?

with love

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:13 pm 

Greetings Kodiak,

Check the state of your breath and intent at the time of pressing the "send button" of your requests for the course.

I feel it is about the "timing combined with the intent".

A message for you:
It's a fine line when tuning into the frequency of a narrow path.
Understand the message and your way is clear.

Happy harmonies.
Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:15 am 

I'm just gonna sit back and let things happen. I'm so tired of chasing people to get information or what's weirder, chasing them to give them money for learning. I leave my path to the spirits to show me from here. If I learn nothing for the next 3 years, so be it. I'm just frustrated at trying to do healing work and not having a teacher. In the physical realm.

KODIAK

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:20 am 

Kodiak

Your best teacher is Mother Earth.

Allow her to teach whilst you observe.
There will be plenty of time for questions later.

Trust and believe.
Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:47 pm 

Why not try it? It is always a good idea to learn different styles of shamanism and expand yourself. You might also learn new techniques and specific cultural methods that you might not experience any other way.

I have had different shamanic teachers. some for a weekend class and others for years. When I have learned all I could from them, I moved on. I have learned SO many different healing techniques by experimenting with different methods. Explore and have fun on this path, and find what is right for you!

You can always ask your guides about the school. But remember to be specific in what you want to know. Because you may ask if you will learn anything at this school.... and you might learn that the school is not for you.

I am curious, what school is this?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:35 pm 

The school is called Mountain Path Home and it is growing rapidly here in Colorado. It is a nationallly recognized school and I will be going to 2 classes in May to see if it is for me or not. From what I understand a lot of the teaching is guided self-discovery with one-on one counseling which is what attracted me to it to begin with.

Kodiak Starr Owl

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:19 am 

Jayson attraction in some schools (buddhism and others for example) are regarded and labeled as "temptations".

It is a matter of choice.

Elizabeth

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:53 am 

I will only be taking the initial two classes and I will go with my gut instincts from there....If it feels to much like a money making based school I'm going to turn away and see where I go from there. As of right now I am only planning on "getting my feet wet" in regards to school since money is tight for me right now. Time will tell.

Kodiak

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism