Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Getting bit
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:34 pm 

I had a couple bird friends that seem to be flying around elsewhere. I haven't been able to dance the way I used to with them since my RA diagnosis so they probably got bored. Recently, I noticed this copperhead a couple times. It bit me. I know snakes to be venomous and generally getting bit is not a good thing, but it didn't seem malevolent. I've drawn some of my own conclusions but I'd like to hear some other thoughts - perhaps from people with experiences with snakes or getting bitten.

Post subject: Re: Getting bit
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:29 pm 

I'd like to hear some of your conclusion. To me they'd be far more interesting than what anyone else has to say about your experience, but that's just me.

Of course, I'd like to hear other's people conclusions about their own experiences. That would be interesting too.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:33 pm 

From Wikipedia:

The venom of the southern copperhead has been found to hold a protein called "contortrostatin" that halts the growth of cancer cells in mice and also stops the migration of the tumors to other sites. Note, however, this is an animal model and as humans are not rodents, further testing would be required to verify safety and efficacy in humans.[13]

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:14 pm 

Well, I figure I either just acquired a power animal or I just got attacked. Some more background might help. I am an aquarian (which explains the birds) but I have a significant amount of capricorn in my chart. Grounding has always been difficult for me to maintain. Air and earth oppose each other. It makes sense to me that my red-tail for example and this snake would oppose each other in the same way. It could be that the snake took advantage of my vulnerability to strike, or that it bit me so I would be forced to land.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:26 pm 

Are you saying the bird is a red tail and the snake is a copperhead?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:25 am 

I think I'm still unclear about how a power animal functions, so I can't offer much feed back about whether the snake might be your power animal or not.

You brought up, maybe unconsciously, maybe not, the idea of "heads or tails". So I'm wondering if there's a decision you've been agonizing over?

The tails departed, and you were bitten by the head. Has the decision been made for you, or will it be, and if so, is it a decision for the better or worse?

Before I get too far ahead of myself, I should wait to hear your answer about whether or not there's some decision putting pressure on your life.

Btw, sorry to hear about your RA dx. When were you diagnosed, and how have you been managing?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:04 am 

That's pretty spot on. Interesting thought about the heads/tails thing. It is a copperhead snake and a red-tail hawk. There was also a raven that I got really close to, more so than the red-tail...sometimes not all pieces are relevant, but they help complete the picture.

I got bit the night before I was pretty much forced to move in with my mother, which was a situation that I have been trying to avoid for several reasons. I feel like only time will tell if the positives will outweigh the negatives (not like I had that much of a choice anyway). So yes, a decision was made for me.

The problem is while for the first time in a while I have the security of a rent free roof and food, there is a huge amount of control and isolation. I've gone from city living with public transportation minutes away to country where the closest store is miles away. I don't have a license (although I doubt my physical ability to drive in my current condition) so I am completely dependent on my mother who is very emotionally manipulative and controlling - with the best of intentions (if that makes sense).

I left an abusive job almost exactly a year ago; and unemployment ran out for me in January, right when my RA symptoms really started to accelerate (though I had some very mild stiffness and pain as early as September). I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. I don't know when I'll be able to work again or what kind of work I can do, or how I'd get there.

Overall, its the feeling of being caged. It forces you to land. You lose your freedom, but it is good if you are rehabilitating - only if you trust your keeper with your needs.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:25 am 

I'm inclined to simply trust that things will work out the way they need to, but I have a tenancy to be blindly optimistic. Escaping is definitely possible, but it is a huge gamble. If the venom is slow acting and deadly, I need to suck it out now before its too late. If I can wait out and survive the effects, I'll be that much stronger. I guess latter conclusion is forgone considering I have no other viable options.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:30 pm 

I think it's interesting that you were unaware how close the the surface of your awareness a perfect poem played itself out. That's the genius part. More than that though.

Look forward to reading the rest and getting the rest of the story.

I'm daring to disco hopefully for at least the next 90 minutes. Let me know if you have any punchy or catchy dance tunes.

Back in a few...

Post Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:17 pm 

Cyr,

Venom from a copperhead isn't deadly, according to Wikipedia, but you could probably find info online to confirm or negate that, then make a decision accordingly.

If the venom isn't deadly, then maybe your mother won't finish you off either, but it sounds like she's gotten inside you already, and I know how the poison takes hold of your mind, believe me.

I don't know what to suggest to keep yourself healthy, but face it, you're going to need a truck load of unconditional support, and that doesn't come cheap, in fact I'm pretty sure not even kings can buy it.

So I come here. The Shaman Portal proivdes an invaluable service. If I am in a posiiton to support it, I will, in whatever way is feasible for me, because I'm here a lot.

Do you have any idea how much a psychoanalyst costs?

Do you have any idea how talented you already are at it, and you're not even aware of it?

I think you'll find your competetive edge, the smarts you'll need to stay alive and thrive, if you have a safe place to wade through all the crap - plus look how mother nature is stepping up and talking to both of us?

It helps to get a little perspective, plus maybe there will be tons and tons of poems to come from your stories.

Poems that could go into a book...

You never know.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:25 pm 

G'day Cyr,

So somtimes my mind lingers over a scenario its been presented, such as in your case, and it free associates responses.

Here's what was handed out today, regarding yoru situation. Take it with whatever merit it deserves, but I wanted you to a least have it for consideration:

Study the copperheaded snake. It seems to represent your relationship with your mother. What are its natural enemies? The red tail hawk, by any chance? If so, then omfg, we've got so much to work with without even having to go any further.

If not, study all it's ways, from eating, to fighting, to defending to posturing, to mating.

Which animals live most in fear of it? Which animals does it live most in fear of.

Stalk the snake. Stalk your mother. Do everything in your power to make sure your situation at home is bearable for you, and find ways to deflect this "enemy" with whom you must share close quarters.

The main objective for you is to gain emotional and psychological strength to get out from under her clutches, or she'll eat you alive in the nest. Unless you can find a way to live in the nest without her doing that, you'll probably want out ASAP, and with the rhumetoid arthritis dx, there's going to be extra challenges involved.

Nuff said for now, but it really looks to me like nature is really working with you on this.

Hopefully this resonates, or it at least kick starts your own ideas, and creative process with respect to this.

It will be interesting to hear what transpires over the weeks ahead.

Stay strong.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:19 pm 

More to oome, and here it is!

I guess the whole idea of a Shamanic cure is tranformation of a wounded relationship to a sound one. Failing that, then a truce with boundaries no one crosses. Failing that, seperation.

With that preamble aside, I guess it occurred to me today that the whole reason for studying the snake as well as your, and let me correct this oversight, reationship with your mother, (rather than stalking your mother per se, although that too), was first, to find ways of avoiding pitfalls where you could get hurt, and drawn into situations where venom is exchanged.

Second, before relationships can be healed, self has to be healed. When self is healed, self will know best if relatioship can be salvaged.

So the goal first, and foremost, from the perspective of my free-associating mind, is for you to use the knowledge you gain from shamanic stalking, to get yorself well enough to decide for yourself where you want to go and how you want to get there. And I still believe that the snake, the redtail hawk can be metaphors that offer a treasure trove of knowedge that can be used in aid of this healing for you.

And of course, if you need someone with a bird's eye view, I'm here till I croak.

I have some commitments of my own to review, because I'm feeling a surge of motivation and I want to keep that momentum going.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism