Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Explain what is a Shaman? (healer, a medicine man?)
 Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:43 am 

Some people truely don't know what a Shaman really is :? . Is there any real Shamans out there that can explain??? :wink:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:36 am 

Shaman/woman.

The breather for those that have forgotten how to breath.

Elizabeth :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:14 am 

Enocheye. I like it!! :) :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 am 

They are the conduit between the two worlds which spirit can work miracles through. Each one is unique and has their own specialties but all Shaman/Woman have the same basic core to work from,...what each one will do is partially up to the Great Spirit and the Shaman/woman themselves to decide.

Brother KODIAK

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:38 am 

Hi all

I think, general explanations are always difficult and every word should be clearly formulated.
First of all, I divide the term "shaman" in two classes: shamans and shamanic practitioners.

Shamanic practitioners.
Mankind is able to change its conciousness into states called trance. In these states it is possible to change the attention away from our normal world into an attention to other worlds. In one or more of these worlds, shamanic practitioners react on events happening there. With these reactions they change things in the normal concious world.

Shamans
Shamans use the same or similar methods to act in other worlds. But they are more than single persons, they belong to a group of people, a village or a community. They care about things happening in other worlds concerning this circle of people. Shaman is a given profession in this community, as well as a baker or a farmer. Shamans can have jobs to do like a doctor, like a judge, like a manager and else kind of social work.
Shamans are invoked by their spirits and their community. In our industrial society, shamans exist very little.

Both, shamans and shamanic practitioners
... can care about the health of people, in mind and body. Some influence the weather or the growing of plants and even business. They can care about the mood between people and help solving problems.

That was for sure not everything to say...

*smile*
Wanderer

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:25 am 

Thanks to all my brothers and sisters for your Great reply's!!!! Many Blessings!! :) JIM

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:50 am 

Foolshawk,

Would you care to tell us what your description of what a real shaman is?

Elizabeth
:D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:00 pm 

First off, I am NOT a Shaman. However, my teacher is. She doesn't like to use the word "Shaman", but realizes that it is an identifier in these days and times.

From what I have been taught and observed, a true Shaman is one who has been chosen by Spirit, not someone who aspires to the Role - if one is not chosen by Spirit, no amount of "training" will create a Shaman. A Shaman is like the conduit - a hollow reed through which blows the winds of Creation. An initiated Shaman has passed through the many gateways of initiation, and indeed has "died" to the personal. She carries her community, and her community carries her - she is like the Village Well that provides sustainance to her community, and is replenished by her community through the use.

I know this explanation sounds like poetry or a metaphor; but I find it difficult to put into linear terms a force which is circular and spiral -- that both takes and gives. Shaman is Breath.

Crowtalker

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:58 am 

Wanderer wrote:
Hi all

I think, general explanations are always difficult and every word should be clearly formulated.
First of all, I divide the term "shaman" in two classes: shamans and shamanic practitioners.

Shamanic practitioners.
Mankind is able to change its conciousness into states called trance. In these states it is possible to change the attention away from our normal world into an attention to other worlds. In one or more of these worlds, shamanic practitioners react on events happening there. With these reactions they change things in the normal concious world.

Shamans
Shamans use the same or similar methods to act in other worlds. But they are more than single persons, they belong to a group of people, a village or a community. They care about things happening in other worlds concerning this circle of people. Shaman is a given profession in this community, as well as a baker or a farmer. Shamans can have jobs to do like a doctor, like a judge, like a manager and else kind of social work.
Shamans are invoked by their spirits and their community. In our industrial society, shamans exist very little.

Both, shamans and shamanic practitioners
... can care about the health of people, in mind and body. Some influence the weather or the growing of plants and even business. They can care about the mood between people and help solving problems.

That was for sure not everything to say...

*smile*
Wanderer

Well said Wanderer! :D

I think that the only thing I can add, is that you become known as a shaman by the people. The results in helping the people and being a tool for the universe are very solid.

Shamans are the facilitators of all kinds of healing. They help their village to solve problems. They help their people without saying "ok that was 45 mins, lets have 200 dollars"

Trav

Post subject: Re: Explain what is a Shaman? (healer, a medicine man?)
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:46 am 

Foolshawk wrote:
Some people truely don't know what a Shaman really is :? . Is there any real Shamans out there that can explain??? :wink:

Peace be upon you, Foolshawk.
Shamans, Medicinemen, Medicinewomen, Mystics, Sufis, Priests,
Holymen and Holywomen are all basicly different variations of the
same thing. They are religiously and spiritually oriented people who
have in some way dedicated either all or some of their life to religioun
and spirituality.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:07 pm 

Crowtalker your woods are wonderful, I to believe not to call myself Shaman, Medicine man, or Healer. When someone I've help uses those words I feel blessed. today the world except in some parts have change a great deal and I know that if a person wants to practice Shamanisms to empower themselfs to find there truth than there Spirit has chosen them and it's there time to wake up and get on there path. As you know we can not help anyone or love anyone until we do ourselfs. So Anyone searching and feels that Shamanism can help them be a better human than so be that. Good Luck soul searching!!! :) Jim

Post Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:58 pm 

Foolshawk wrote:

Peace be upon all
If a real shaman came to explaine this to you, how would you know the
real shaman was real?
He or she would need tangible, sufficient proof, not just explaining.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:06 am 

RAVEN'S SACRED VOICE wrote:
If a real shaman came to explaine this to you, how would you know the real shaman was real? He or she would need tangible, sufficient proof, not just explaining.

Well, I don't know any card-carrying shaman. In fact, the ones I do know keep it all very quite and NEVER use the "S" word. But when you meet them and you look into their eyes, you realize this is a very different person indeed.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:37 am 

Quote:
But when you meet them and you look into their eyes, you realize this is a very different person indeed.

Yes. "Credentials" is a very Western sort of thing, and if I were in the presence of someone who called themselves a Shaman and went to spout out all of the seminars, history, etc they have had, to get me to believe them, I would say 9 times out of 10, they are not someone who houses true SHAMAN energy.

What I have found is, you KNOW on a gut level and on a heart level, that you are in the presence of Shaman. It is not through their words, but through their actions and their energy itself that they are known. I have been taught that SHAMAN is not a "person" - SHAMAN is enery that flows through a person - the human is a vessel for the energy. SHAMAN is the Breath of Creation -- an energy; and energy can be perceived for what it is.

Hau.

Crowtalker

Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:55 am 

Foolshawk wrote:

Peace be upon All.

In Arabia, youve got the Sheikhs or holymen/holywomen who are more
associated with the globe and with the outer hemisphere of society and
religioun and spirituality, and then youve got the sufis, (like me), who
turn inward toward the inner depths of society, inner hemisphere of society
and the Self, the mystics who "read between the lines" of the Islamic scripture ( the Quran), and who advocate to sociaty and all things for Allah.
The Sufi is the Inward-turned Shaman. the one seeking mystical union with
God (Allah) through more than worldly practices and ways. They study the
Self, and they,(we) seek and practice what we sufis call the purification of
the heart as an important step toward attaining, ( and setting an example
to others on how to attaine) mysical union with God throught religious practices and mystical practices. The sufis perform more than just earthly,
worldly healing, but spiritual healing, exorcism, and much more; whatever
is necessary.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism