Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: European Shamanism
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:56 pm 

As a non-native american I alway felt a little uncomfortable with studying and practicing from those paths. That said I have found a number of what I feel are shamanic paths based on European traditions.

Norse Seidr and Spaecraft
Traditional Witchcrafts
Faery faiths (especially Orion Foxwood's Faery seership teachings)
Some forms of Wicca (especially Patrick McCullum's Sacred Path as in his book "Courting the Lady")
Southern Conjure magic
Pennsylvania Dutch Pow-Wow

My own personal path is a combination of these and other paths.

My questions for discussion. "Does anyone else follow these or other European based path?" and "Do you consider these Shamanic paths?"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:53 am 

For similar reasons to yours, I have actually sought to work directly with the spirits of my ancestors, spirits of the land and other helping spirits to develop a shamanic practice that works for someone not raised in a tribal culture. It works well for me and for those who come to me for help.

You might want to take a look at my book Dance of Stones: A Shamanic Road Trip. The book outlines my history and the nature of the shamanic work that I do.

namaste,

Kenn Day
www.shamanstouch.com

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:39 am 

Hmm. most old traditions are not shamanic, american indian traditions included, if the use of journeymethod is kept primeaspect, demand for shamanim. I think all indigineus cultures are animistic and some people think it is same as shamanism.
There are many ways to keep connection with spirit. Personally I do not care if it is praying, meditating, dancing, singing - or journeying. Every person should find his own way and own gods. What does it matter, how it is called?

For me it has worked best to leave all groups, desputes, powerstruggles behind and follow my own heart.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:24 pm 

For contemporary european shamanism and its representants I can recommend Florian Gredig's work: "Finding New Cosmologies - Shamans in Contemporary Europe". It was punlished in english language, so the anglophonics can read it, in spite the fact that Gredig is a German.

The other works on contemporary european shamanisms are in german, except one that I currently have not at hand.

Yours,

Apu Kuntur

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:06 pm 

With short look Florian has done much work at compiling different ways. I found link: http://books.google.fi/books?id=V6-tEf7 ... &q&f=false

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:59 pm 

Yes, because our shamanisms are as multifacetted as our culture is *g*.

Yours,

Apu Kuntur

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:08 pm 

The book 'Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits - Shamanic Visionary Traditions in Early Modern British Witchcraft and Magic' by Emma Wilby, is a good read. Academic yet very readable and well researched.

Sometimes it's not easy to find or realise our European shamanic heritage but often it is there, hidden by centuries of Christian oppression. Wherever you live, it is worth looking at the old folk tales, myths and customs. Connecting the dots and learning to understand the colloquialisms.

Studia Mythologica Slavica http://sms.zrc-sazu.si/En/kazalo.html has many interesting articles written in several languages.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:08 pm 

I know a lot of people are concerned with finding their direct ancestor line and faith, and it used to concern me too. Living in Australia, but having absolutely NO connection to Aboriginal spirits was very confusing when I first started this path.

But the truth is, there is no geographical boundary to Otherworld. And within it, lies the truth of all gods of all cultures of all times. I've come to conclude that gods/spirits/animals represent one aspect of a vast truth about Creation, and that we will connect with whatever face of that aspect appeals to us or suits us the most, regardless of genetic history.

For example, I've found that various divinities and spirits from different cultures have come to me, sometimes with no sense or reason. I'm Celtic-blooded, but have never felt a strong connection to a Celtic deity, although I practice what is primarily Celtic Shamanism. Instead, I've got a collection of Greek, Egyptian, Sumerian deities bounding about me, and some rather Native American spirits, especially trickster spirits, playing with me on occasion. They just happen to be how I've found access to that type of archetype/energy/divinity/etc.

As to your question about whether the types of paths you mentioned are Shamanic or not, the only one I'd say 'isn't' Shamanic is witchcraft. I don't know as much about the others, but I started in witchcraft, and found there is a very significant difference between that and Shamanism. There's no implicit journeying involved in Witchcraft, and there is a greater sense of trying to 'control' the world around you, rather than to serve it.

I think Shamanism is its own path, and it just happens to dip into various cultures for various dreamtruths at different points. There are other ways to access divinity and Otherworld, but to be a Shaman is to serve thisworld and Otherworld, to be a walker-between-worlds, and that's not a common element of other paths.

-Ursa

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:27 am 

And what use it has to follow some tradition, if you think about birth of shamanism? How the very first shaman started? Like Ursa wrote I had also confusing times, when religois teachers came into my journies like indian satgurus and Jesu Christ. Expesially the last was very different from the image taught at this time, and his teaching was nothing to do with any religion. Also one ancient god came, who I did not know beforehand and I needed to track who he was.
What I am trying to say, why draw lines? Maybe it is more comfortable, when you have lineage behind. I was too looking for tradional customs, but some of them were just mad, insane, stupid, superstitious. Maybe those were serving well at the time.
MAybe it is like in budo and yogatraining, that a person needs to study technique until he doesn't need it anymore. When you have found the 'thing' behind technique or path you are reaching for, maybe then comes the time just live. No need for comfortable, safe borders anymore....?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:05 am 

Jusma wrote:
MAybe it is like in budo and yogatraining, that a person needs to study technique until he doesn't need it anymore. When you have found the 'thing' behind technique or path you are reaching for, maybe then comes the time just live. No need for comfortable, safe borders anymore....?

I think you have just answered your own question.

I feel you need to have a foundation to build from, a set of ground rules if you like. Then as you progress you can expand and experiment. In my own case I ended up retaining my own cultural roots after learning from and comparing others.

Eamon

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:40 pm 

Eamon wrote:
I feel you need to have a foundation to build from, a set of ground rules if you like. Then as you progress you can expand and experiment. In my own case I ended up retaining my own cultural roots after learning from and comparing others.
Eamon

I think, that is quite usual path of progress. It is true that comparing is impossible without experience of other ways.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism