Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Ego Death
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:34 pm 

In my spiritual path, I have heard this term for many years. On many occasions I thought I was ready to cast away the outer shell I lived in and be 'free'. I thought I was ready for ego death. But every time I thought I had succeeded, something brought me back to square one. For many years I struggled in this seemingly endless loop.

Then I decided to try a different approach. I decided to do a spirit journey to my Ego, to talk to it. I found myself in a dimly lit cave of some kind. A kind, gentle man was waiting for me (certainly not my expectation). He and I spoke of many things and, after a time, the topic of Ego Death came up. I finally asked what held him back from letting me be 'free'; his response was simultaneously frightening and apocalyptic.

"I am going to answer your question with a question. Why have you never looked at yourself during a spirit Journey?"

The response initially confused me. Then I decided to do just that. When I saw myself, I was not what I thought I would look like. Everything I thought I needed to be rid of, everything I attributed as my Ego, everything that made up that shell I wear when in society was me. My identity, what I called "me" was my Ego.

It was the ultimate deception. My Ego so deeply ingrained its identity within me that I thought I was being held back by it, when in reality I wore it like clothing even in my spirit journeys. And that kind, gentle me I met in that cave was the "me" waiting for me to die so that he can bring love and light to the world.

So I let go. I left only memories and the lessons I learned behind. Every now and again the real me almost loses himself again. He's come close to letting a new and improved shell come over him. An Ego 2.0 if you will. But he's doing his best to avoid that. So long as the lessons I learned stay with him he will continue to learn to be a light in a dark world for others. And I was finally glad to be rid of myself in order for that to happen.

Post subject: Re: Ego Death
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:28 pm 

Hi E

It was good to read your post. I like what you said about "ego 2.0". I'm still of the mind that the best we can do when we occupy a body is transform the ego, or develop the ego, because as long as we have a body, unless someone can prove otherwise, I am convinced that an ego is inevitable.

I believe that even the Dali Lama still has an ego and even the Buddah himself could not rid himself of it permanently, whilst occupying a body.

Our egos, I believe, develop as a result of the pain and pleasure we are exposed to. As long as we have bodies, we will continue to experience pain and pleasure. Ego arises as a result of the attempt to minimize one and maximize the other. If the ego performs these tasks poorly, then we see it as a bad thing.

My experience tells me that we can develop and broaden our egos as we develop and broaden our experiences and concepts of pain and pleasure.

We may be able to transcend it temporarily in the temporal world, but as soon as we get back to functioning it snaps right back.

I believe I am reaching the point where my ego is more my friend than my enemy in terms of making inroads on the path to spiritual development.

I definitely believe I'm operating with ego 2.0 and I see it to be a good thing.

Thanks for this thought provoking post and for sharing your experience.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:53 am 

I do not bother about my ego - it is not important to my shamanic work.

Yours,

Apu Kuntur

Post Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:29 pm 

Thank you Ezekkiel and Wildcard for your thoughtful and eloquent posts. Sometimes I wonder how much a dismemberment journey contains elements of stripping the ego--just a thought. Ego is a popular, mainstream term used by many disciplines and I believe its connotations vary widely. However, you have given me a new perspective--thank you!

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism