Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism

Post subject: Re: Driven into the wilderness
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:15 pm 

Oracle, what you say has merit. There is an old saying that we are all familiar with "Everything done in good measure." If one drinks ten drinks a week, no problem. If one works 40-50 hours a week, no problem. Too much of these things can cause health problems. Sometimes, I think it is the same in the occult world.
The good thing about shamanism is that if the power becomes too great then one can back off and spend less time with it. However, there is another truth to it that is not talked about very often. That is the fact that shamans and magicians will usually come to a place where they will walk through the abyss. This is a time when one is giving up their old self-identity and becoming the shaman or magician that they are called to be. This process usually leads to a time period of being so saturated with knowledge and spiritual awakening that they literally walk through a time period in which they feel insane. I am not saying this from an opinion standpoint rather I am stating it from my experience as one who has studied the occult and many of the great shamans and magicians that have had to cross the abyss. Most of them come out the other side, some do not. It is true that there are dangers in deep spiritual knowledge. Some have equated it to climbing Mt. Everest, which is also dangerous. The good thing is that if one enters the abyss, if they decide it is not for them, they can back off, just as mountaineers can discontinue their climb of Everest. Unfortunately, many people want spiritual power so badly that they will take a chance and some will die in the abyss, just as some die on Mt. Everest. My experience has taught me to back off if things get weird or dangerous, and then pick it back up at a later date. I have to admit, however, that spiritual and magickal knowledge is well worth the risk. I mean, we all want truth and will give up our lives to find it. This is the same thing that George Washington and Thomas Jefferson did. What would the history books say if they had both been killed in the Revolution?
Right now, people in other countries risk life and limb to come to the United States for freedom and liberty. It should come as no surprise that people take risks for deeper spiritual truths that are even more important than coming to the United States. For those who will take no risks, well, they will have to face the remorse of going back to the façade that they now live in. But for those who will never give up there are methods in which to keep dangers at a minimum. Most of the dangers are relegated to the fact that our small minds cannot grasp the depth of spiritual knowledge that we seek. What I have learned to do is spend several months seeking, and then spending a time period of three or four months digesting what I have learned. This is why many shamans and magical orders have grade systems and initiations. It is because they know that if they imparted all of their knowledge into a novice, that novice could be scarred for life.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:01 pm 

Hey Clay, do you think there is an absolute truth? How do you imagine the abyss? I hit critical mass yesterday morning. after that, i gave my life, heart and soul to Gaia and the sun. a few years ago it became apparent to me that nature was beckoning me to forge closer ties. I've done that over these last few years, but there has been a huge struggle to truly accept this, and much of who I used to be has been shed in the process. the very last vestiges of my pride and ego have been laid to complete ruin. this has been part of my suicide impulse, but yesterday i let them go as i told mother nature in a prayer that my life is hers to do with what she pleases. I guess i'm pleased to say that talking to the sun, birds, trees, etc. is now normal for me, and i no longer care how others feel about it. I'm not calling myself a shaman or anything, but I guess I'm myself now and no longer terrified at the fact that the sun talks to me. for me, this is a healing - perhaps i have traversed this abyss of which you speak. though i must say that i never viewed my life as a facade, just a mess in progress.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:16 pm 

I don't know what the abyss would be like. It might be different for each person. I don't know that I've ever been there. I guess if I had I would know it. I imagine that some people go through the abyss when they go out into the woods and spend a month meditating and have a profound experience in which they become what they are called to be. Other people might go through years of refinement and hard won battles. I think I am the latter. Almost all of my spiritual experiences have been very much like climbing Everest, with danger all around, cold winds blowing, uncertainties. The only outcome of these toils, that I have seen, is that it builds courage and stamina. Maybe that's a good thing. It would have been nice to be one of those gurus that just "get's it", but that is not my path.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanism